advice on claiming on Gov't insur. after motorbike accident

twix38

I had a motorbike accident on 22/5/15.

I hit a pick-up and had to pay 12,000 at police station to cover part costs of repairs to pick up.

I then went to hospital the next day as my ankle had swollen up and thereafter followed 3 more visits as also got an infection of wound. Total Hospital treatment costs of 8,287 Baht

Can I claim for any of this based on the mandatory Government insurance that we all have?

What can I claim for? What do I need? Where do I go in Pattaya to start the process with this gov't based insurance cover for re-imbursement?

I have only just been told that I may be able to claim, so hence the delay since accident.

Thanks

Edited by twix38

Contact the insurance company the insurance was issued through. The government doesn't issue the policy. It's just a manditory insurance.

If I recall, it covers up to 15,000 baht personal injury. When I once made a claim, all the insurance company wanted me to supply was the hospital bills which were from a government hospital.

I made a claim earlier this year on the compulsory motorbike insurance.

Not sure if they are all through the same company or not, but this is where I went to get it all sorted.

Google maps link. It's the place next door to the bike dealership, just north of Pattaya Nua on Sukhumvit northbound.

If I remember correctly, I brought the green book for the bike, insurance receipt, passport, driving license, and all receipts from the hospital. They covered it all, close to 20K.

Come to think of it, they also wanted pictures of the bike, with the number plate readable.

Think the maximum they cover is 50K Baht.

Many thanks

I will go to that place and see what they say.

I get my tax and Gov't insur via an agent who I pay and it's all in Thai, so no idea what company. Hopefully it isthe one you mention.

I will go tomorrow

Thanks again

I have health and accident insurance with a 40,000 Baht excess and accept for smaller amounts (up to 40k) I will have to pay, so could not claim. Hence paid 12,000 myself and cannot claim via insurance.

I went to Gov't insur company today and got a cheque refund for my Hospital fees. So thanks to all for the advice and particularly MTH for the location and map

Took all the documents and worked well, so that helps negate the totla cost.

Thanks

GENERAL DETAILS OF ACCIDENT

I was riding down the outside of the lane past cars stopped at Red traffic light. Pick-up ahead decided to U-TURN, though claimed he was turning right into a driveway with locked gate - rubbish.

I bibed and he didn't stop so crashed into him. I put the actual accident down to him suddenly pullng out wthout any due care and attention and as had he braked I could have simply driven round him, but the git didn't even try. He was originally stopped in a queue waiting for lights to change and without warning or indication

starts to suddenly u-turn. However, I learned at Police station that because I should not have been driving down the ouside of the lane. I was deemed most at fault and hence all to blame.

I can see it is illegal though many do it all the time and insurance stated repair cost was 24k and so I paid them half, so I suppose I am accepting of the outcome and

much better now I got my Hospital bills refunded and only out of pocket for the 12,000

Edited by twix38

This is all very interesting......I had wondered if the mandatory insurance I have been paying for at the road tax office had any value....

Thanks to the each of the contributors

DD13

YES, I was very impressed. They told me it covers up to 50,000. I assume it is just for Hospital bills as need seperate motor/accident insurance for the rest, but I got the cheque having the required paperwork as mentioned above in about 20 minutes. No quibble. No problem at all.

She asked for my passport, which I forgot, but was willing to accept my Thai driving license only - otherwise just needed Hospital bills, police report, Green log book and their slip/receipt of valid Gov't insurance

Edited by twix38

I have health and accident insurance with a 40,000 Baht excess and accept for smaller amounts (up to 40k) I will have to pay, so could not claim. Hence paid 12,000 myself and cannot claim via insurance.

I went to Gov't insur company today and got a cheque refund for my Hospital fees. So thanks to all for the advice and particularly MTH for the location and map

Took all the documents and worked well, so that helps negate the totla cost.

Thanks

GENERAL DETAILS OF ACCIDENT

I was riding down the outside of the lane past cars stopped at Red traffic light. Pick-up ahead decided to U-TURN, though claimed he was turning right into a driveway with locked gate - rubbish.

I bibed and he didn't stop so crashed into him. I put the actual accident down to him suddenly pullng out wthout any due care and attention and as had he braked I could have simply driven round him, but the git didn't even try. He was originally stopped in a queue waiting for lights to change and without warning or indication

starts to suddenly u-turn. However, I learned at Police station that because I should not have been driving down the ouside of the lane. I was deemed most at fault and hence all to blame.

I can see it is illegal though many do it all the time and insurance stated repair cost was 24k and so I paid them half, so I suppose I am accepting of the outcome and

much better now I got my Hospital bills refunded and only out of pocket for the 12,000

Glad to hear it worked out well for you too! I was pleasantly surprised how friendly and helpful the staff was, and how easy it was to make a claim with them.

yes, I echo your sentiments MTH.

Sometimes things can be seem difficult and confounded by problems and paperwork.

I expected this might prove similar, but it was refreshingly straight forward with helpful friendly staff.

Many thanks for your invaluable help and advice.

Edited by twix38