"We no longer stock [this]."

Briggsy

That sounds like an extreme use of slang that shouldn't be used outside friendly conversations. From my understanding, ลง is also used as 'install' or 'to install'.

As far as I know, there isn't a Thai word for Stock (used in logistics/supermarkets/malls/shops). They simply write the word Stock in Thai 'สตอ็ค'.

No, no, you have misunderstood. Perhaps I was not clear.

I speak Thai very well. I know how to say there is none on the shelf, etc.

My point was the member of staff used the verb ลง to mean " to stock" or " to have in stock to sell". That was my point.

I am talking about the verb "to stock" not the noun "stock". I hope this clears up your confusion.

p.s. It is not "extreme slang". I have checked this with other Thais. It is normal usage.

Edited by Briggsy

You can say "เอาของลง" It mean take stock from shelf/truck to your shelf

เอาของลง - Ow-Kong-Long ---- The tone is 1-5-1

เอาของเก็บ - Ow-Kong-Kep ---- The tone is 1-5-1

Perhaps you may add "Hai-Hnoi - ให้หน่อย" to say "Kindly" intention.

ex. Ow-Kong-Kep-Hai-Hnoi --- Tone is 1-5-1-3-2

Hope this help

I have heard this quite a few times when shops stop selling a particular product. They are simply saying that they no longer stock such a product. Don't bother waiting for them to restock as they won't. The end of the line for that particular product.

It took me some time to work out the construction of ไม่ได้ลงแล้ว. It seems that the ไม่ qualifies the ลง, not the ได้. But then, negation is often complex, as in the difference between English "cannot/can't" on one hand and "can not" on the other.

I have heard this quite a few times when shops stop selling a particular product. They are simply saying that they no longer stock such a product. Don't bother waiting for them to restock as they won't. The end of the line for that particular product.

Thank you for the confirmation.

Indeed, this is what the gist of the conversation was. And this is what my further research (asking other Thais) pointed to.

No, for this particular context, it doesn't mean to take goods out of the truck.

It is a term which is used as others has described above to mean that this item isn't stocked anymore. They've stopped providing this item and it won't be sold anymore.

One would say exactly like that "ไม่ได้ลงแล้ว" and not ไม่ได้ลงของแล้ว

Edited by Mole