Where To Get Sunglasses?

JoneL

I'd consider those same sunglasses but without that shape, the white sides, and are you sure you want the DIOR logo so discreet? :o

Get some Wayfarers like Cary Grant wore. Did you know you can see the studio lights in his broken sunglasses in North by Northwest?

Edited by sleepyjohn

SleepyJohn, no no... I don't want Dior logo (or I don't even know if I want Dior's sunglasses...) :D

I just want sunglasses that are the same style, BIG!

Britmaverick, 150bht?

For a sunglasses that have real uv-protection?

That's not bad... :o

But what do you mean by "markets"?

I went hunting for some genuine name brand sunglasses in Pattaya, but finding the genuine product was difficult.

Most optometrist shops sell either copies or name brand frames with inferior quality lens.

If you were lucky enough to find the genuine article, it was usually last years model.

I suggest that you check out the duty free price of name brand sunglasses and buy them at the airport before you leave your home country.

I went hunting for some genuine name brand sunglasses in Pattaya, but finding the genuine product was difficult.

Most optometrist shops sell either copies or name brand frames with inferior quality lens.

If you were lucky enough to find the genuine article, it was usually last years model.

I suggest that you check out the duty free price of name brand sunglasses and buy them at the airport before you leave your home country.

Hi!

Thank you for the reply :D

How do you know/see if the lens is inferior quality (inferior quality=not so good quality?)?

If I buy copies of trend sunglasses in optometrist shops, are the lenses protective or not?

Is there any way to know or see if the lens is really protective? :o

Forget about those for 150 Baht.

But at the optometrists like CHAROEN (a chain) you get good quality glasses at much lower prices than at home. If those of the big name brands are fake, who knows? If you can't see the difference, does it make a difference?

Forget about those for 150 Baht.

But at the optometrists like CHAROEN (a chain) you get good quality glasses at much lower prices than at home. If those of the big name brands are fake, who knows? If you can't see the difference, does it make a difference?

Heijko, I am nor really after the big name brands...

I am more after quality sunglasses with real protection for eyes :D

So they can be copies or not famous brands, as long as they look good and protect eyes :D

But are the copies + cheaper brands equal protective as the more expencive sunglasses? :o

But are the copies + cheaper brands equal protective as the more expencive sunglasses? :o

Number a years ago I took a copy to an optomologist and had it tested for UV, and results were same same as a pair of expensive ones. So to answer your question yes the UV protection is the same. :D

Edited by britmaveric

You need to ask yourself 'why am I buying sunglasses?'

If only for a fashion statement, then copies of international brand names, bought at a weekend market should suffice.

If for protection against UV rays, then you need sunglasses that offer genuine UV protection.

(Click here and read about the damages that UV rays can cause to your eyes.)

You might also select sunglasses that reduce glare. You will then need the lens to be polarised.

Cheap sunglasses bought at the markets will not provide these protections.

My g/f bought me a pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses from an optometrist in Pattaya. They weren't cheap to buy. The lens offer limited UV protection and they are not polarised. They look great but they don't provide me with the amount of protection that I wanted.

Genuine name brand sunglass manufacturers, usually supply with every pair they sell, a written guarantee regarding UV and glare protection.

Edited by Mighty Mouse

i believe sunglass is relatively cheap compare to other country !

i bough some in Siam center and Siam square ( opto shops )

Okley more expensive !

duty-free in the airport are over price .

i bought some yamamoto, i do not believe it is copy if you paying the price ( still much cheaper as some countries ) .

For the Okley I got some in Australia , and claim GST when I was living

for some copies between MBK and siam center ( take the bridge footpass )

I've heard that some checp sunnies just make things dimmer, but don't reduce UV. The result is your pupils open more and are therefore more exposed.

But I still believe come cheap sunnies still offer good protection, is there anyway to find out?

I don't want expensive ones because I will only loose/scratch them.

I've heard that some checp sunnies just make things dimmer, but don't reduce UV. The result is your pupils open more and are therefore more exposed.

But I still believe come cheap sunnies still offer good protection, is there anyway to find out?

I don't want expensive ones because I will only loose/scratch them.

yeah, I have heard the same thing about cheap sunglasses...

And that it is even better to be without sunglasses if they only make things dimmer! :o

I am just bit worried if they sell low quality lensses in real optometrists shops as MightyMouse told...

So how do I know if there is real/good/protective lens or if it is just glass that makes things dimmer? Any idea? :D

JoneL, for the average consumer, there is no reliable way of establishing UV protection from a pair of sunglasses.

A plain sheet of transparent glass will take out the burning rays of the sun. A sheet of plastic will do the same, but the big question is, by what degree? When it comes to protecting your eyes, if you opt to el-cheapo glasses and damage your eyes, you may have to live with that damage for the rest of your life.

Many optometrists have a chart in their shops that when viewed with polarised sunglasses, changes noticably. For example, the chart may change from text to an image.

Without this chart, you may be able to see the difference between polarised and non-polarised, by standing in full sunlight and looking at the sea. With polarised lens, those bright flashes of sunlight coming off the water, should lose the flashiness. In other tests, things that normally glare to the naked eye, will not glare (so much) with polarised lens.

Name brand sunglass manufacturers offer polarised lens as well as non-polarised lens. Pay the extra to get the polarised models and do your eyes a favour.