Korat swims while rest of Thailand thirsts

webfact

Korat swims while rest of nation thirsts
By Coconuts Bangkok

korat1.jpg

KORAT: -- While the drought crisis has most areas cutting back water consumption, Korat suffered from way too much of the wet stuff last night.

A three-hour downpour left several areas in northeast Nakhon Ratchasima province flooded with water rising as high as 50 centimeters. Police temporarily closed down Mittraphap Road, the main road from Bangkok into northeast Thailand, to decrease risks of vehicles’ becoming stranded.

Opportunistic Korat officials pumped the rainwater into a nearby dam to help relieve the drought [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/07/14/korat-swims-while-rest-nation-thirsts

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-07-14

and tomorrow,.... back to the drought. Feast and famine. Forget the subs and put the money to proper water management. If they can prevent most of that money from going to corruption then it would go a long way to helping.

It's all very well you saYing "Put the money into proper water management" but who in H*** going to "Proper manage" it?

I live in Korat City, the ground floor of the Mall was a foot under water.....i think someone must have made a boo-boo with the drainage when they built it. Hope they do a better job of the new Terminal 21, and the new Central Plaza (not very central, mind you)..if we have much more, it will be like 2010, more like Atlantis City than Korat City...

Edited by Ghostnigel

Having a few storage barrels, or those clay containers around your property

can help a tiny bit. At least if you have a few plants, you can water them for a week

or two before they go brown like the lawns. In Bangkok where my relatives life, they mostly live in

Condo style housing and have only roof top plants on their property, with storage containers

for watering the plants.

People that have actual houses in Bangkok and area should have at least a few storage

containers to get them through the droughts. I know that this does not help them with

their crops, but that is always the risk of being a grain or rice farmer.

Certainly , proper water management can help, and I hope the drought situation is not

too long lasting.

We had a big storm where I live in Canada.

A community east of the city got flooded, (picture included)

This community has a lake in its midst and the houses that are located near the lake,

and that are just 1/2 a meter higher than the level of the water in the lake, were in a

bad situation. You see people in Canada like to have a basement which is 8 to 10 feet

or 2.4 to 3.5 meters blow the level of the main floor in the house. These basements are below the lake level,

and when the storms go through and the water pipes can not keep up, these houses get their basements

flooded with water, as well as sewage. Bad situation indeed. This is a good reason not to have a

basement under your house when you live at or below the water level in a lake next door.

I am glad that my Thai family in Bangkok and other places in Thailand are smart enough to no

have houses with floodable basements. I have been in a few places in Thailand when the rain

is occurring and it does not take long to see a foot or 1/3 of a meter of water accumulate on the ground.

post-217497-0-69359500-1436893070_thumb.