Looking for Apt in Bang Saray, they want 15 baht for Electric per unit

Nice Boyd

If you use 300 units that per month that will be 4500 bt per month. Real cost about 1200 bt. So your 7500 rent is really about 10800 bt per month. It's a trick and it's not a new one. If you use ac . Negotiate a better rate

Not a scam if they tell you up front.

Many condos do this. The difference between the government rate and the rate you pay is added to the condo account to pay for maintenance. This way they can lower the maintenance fee that owners are paying per square meter.

The advantage with this system is that owners who spend more time in the condo pay more for maintenance compared with owners who only spend a few month there every high season.

It's a Apt building, Not Condo,..

In that case the mark-up is not quite as high as previously mentioned as they will probably be paying the commercial rate and not the domestic rate.

Still a hefty mark-up though.

Many condos do this. The difference between the government rate and the rate you pay is added to the condo account to pay for maintenance. This way they can lower the maintenance fee that owners are paying per square meter.

The advantage with this system is that owners who spend more time in the condo pay more for maintenance compared with owners who only spend a few month there every high season.

"Many condos" that I have seen certainly do not do this.

Condo buildings are rarely involved with the payment and billing of electricity as each unit should have its own meter, billed directly by the PEA. So what generally happens is that the unit owner pays the domestic rate and pockets any mark-up for himself. Sometimes it's the agent that pockets the mark-up instead of the owner.

Building electrical costs (corridor lighting, outdoor lighting, elevators, pumps) are normal running costs and are covered by the common fees.

Is this unfair on owners who are rarely there? Yes, it is, but that's their decision. They also get no use from the pool and elevators etc. and the garden areas, but they still pay for their maintenance.

It's a Apt building, Not Condo, it was not up front, it was a question, I had just before I got the GF and walked out the door, up front , No

say you will open you own account with the relative electric company

Condo buildings are rarely involved with the payment and billing of electricity as each unit should have its own meter, billed directly by the PEA. So what generally happens is that the unit owner pays the domestic rate and pockets any mark-up for himself. Sometimes it's the agent that pockets the mark-up instead of the owner.

Building electrical costs (corridor lighting, outdoor lighting, elevators, pumps) are normal running costs and are covered by the common fees.

Is this unfair on owners who are rarely there? Yes, it is, but that's their decision. They also get no use from the pool and elevators etc. and the garden areas, but they still pay for their maintenance.

There are many many condos in Pattaya and some do it the way I explained it to make the total cost more fair for the owners some do it the way you explain it.

To the OP, I can not see what the problem is?

Most rentals differ in many ways, there could be all sorts of additional costs to pay. In the end you always have to check with the owner what all the costs are, add them up, compare with other units and then make your decision on that. If you like the place and the total cost is ok, rent it.

I'm sure that you can find a place where you pay the normal government fee for power but I'm also sure that that is probably not your main criteria.

Then again, I know that there are many out there that would give up a perfectly nice place just out of principle because the power rate is highblink.png

There are many many condos in Pattaya and some do it the way I explained it to make the total cost more fair for the owners some do it the way you explain it.

Most rentals differ in many ways, there could be all sorts of additional costs to pay. In the end you always have to check with the owner what all the costs are, add them up, compare with other units and then make your decision on that. If you like the place and the total cost is ok, rent it.

I'm sure that you can find a place where you pay the normal government fee for power but I'm also sure that that is probably not your main criteria.

Then again, I know that there are many out there that would give up a perfectly nice place just out of principle because the power rate is highblink.png

Really, You Can't, Personal Question are you in the Biz, it's absolutely Ridiculous, and I'm not that cheap, but I'm not Stupid or throw away money, but I like Comfort of air con at night, 3 years ago I got Dinged for 9,000 in Electric bill at an apt in Naklua, I only used it at night and 1 hour a day, So I'm Cautious.

WHAT? Getting an electric bill that is 3/4 administration fee is not a problem? It is outright disingenuous. No one should do business with such an dishonest establishment.

I'm not in the business but like I said add up the total and make your decision.

It's the total that counts or would you rather rent a similar place where the power was the government rate but the rent charged was higher?

I'm not in the business but like I said add up the total and make your decision.

It's the total that counts or would you rather rent a similar place where the power was the government rate but the rent charged was higher?

Sorry for the jab, a Lil oversensitive, from a few years ago, I did think to negotiate, but decided not to, just don't like the Surprise at the end of the month, or thinking about every Lil thing you use All month.did find a place for 7th a unit, Cheers

In that case the mark-up is not quite as high as previously mentioned as they will probably be paying the commercial rate and not the domestic rate.

Interesting....

Just to be clear. When you say "THEY will probably be paying" who do you mean by 'they'?

I think you mean landlords of apartment buildings?

Thanks.

On my last bill I was charged for 991 units 4'498.90 Baht, that's 4.54 Baht per unit. Against 15 Baht they want to charge you.

Try the Ombudsman's office or the NPKC office. The latter will be interested to eradicate those over chargers.

Interesting....

Just to be clear. When you say "THEY will probably be paying" who do you mean by 'they'?

I mean the owner of an apartment building. Sorry if that wasnt clear.

I would expect an apartment building (which is normally owned as a single building, like a hotel) to have one electric supply and one bill which should be at the commercial rate.

I would expect individually condo units to each have an independent supply and their own official bill at domestic rates. This is what happens in my building.

On the face of it 15 baht per unit is over the top. The highest rate I currently know of is 10 baht per unit which a friend is paying. However if the rent is 7500 and you expect to pay say 10,000 baht per month on elec., then the question is whether the overall rental of 17,500 inclusive of elec is reasonable. Seems not. Another way of looking at it is if you think the market rate for the room is 10,000 and you might at the very top expect to pay 5,000 for elec at say 7 baht per unit = total 15,000, then you are overpaying on the original figures of ~ 2,500. My own feeling is that I don't think I want to rent from a landlord who is charging 15 baht per unit. I would expect other problems during the rental. Find something else and since you are looking for something now during the low season that should not be a big problem.

Interesting....

I mean the owner of an apartment building. Sorry if that wasnt clear.

I would expect an apartment building (which is normally owned as a single building, like a hotel) to have one electric supply and one bill which should be at the commercial rate.

I would expect individually condo units to each have an independent supply and their own official bill at domestic rates. This is what happens in my building.

Thanks. This had never occurred to me before.

Do you know how much the commercial rate is?

I believe the domestic rate is (or was) about 3.5 baht a unit.

In Pattaya area normal rate is around 4.3 baht per unit. Yes its a scam 15 baht per unit would never be accepted by a Thai.

Maybe he OP should just pay the daily rate that includes electric, of course he fails to mention the daily rate is far more than THB 240

In Pattaya area normal rate is around 4.3 baht per unit. Yes its a scam 15 baht per unit would never be accepted by a Thai.

Maybe he OP should just pay the daily rate that includes electric, of course he fails to mention the daily rate is far more than THB 240
sign on outside said, nothing about Daily Rental, just said Monthly, will have to look again, Thx for all the replies, interesting

By 'normal rate' I assume you mean the domestic rate.

But how much is the commercial rate for an apartment building? Where there may be many individual apartments but there's only one electricity bill from the electricity company for the entire building?

Everywhere I've lived in Pattaya has been like that, so I'd be interested to know more about this commercial rate.

Thanks.

But how much is the commercial rate for an apartment building? Where there may be many individual apartments but there's only one electricity bill from the electricity company for the entire building?

As I mentioned yesterday there is no one commercial rate.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/840438-looking-for-apt-in-bang-saray-they-want-15-baht-for-electric-per-unit/#entry9622985

Use the link I posted to find all the possible rates.

As I mentioned yesterday there is no one commercial rate.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/840438-looking-for-apt-in-bang-saray-they-want-15-baht-for-electric-per-unit/#entry9622985

Use the link I posted to find all the possible rates.

Thanks. I did have a look. Couldn't make head or tail of it!

Now it will be the 2nd Question after Rent Quote

It's normally my first question - government rate or not?

And assuming KittenKong is correct, if you get the answer "government rate" you might then want to ask "which government rate?"