Thai Cabinet gives green light to three motorway projects

webfact

Cabinet gives green light to three motorway projects

7-14-2015-11-34-23-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet on Tuesday approved two infrastructure mega projects worth about 260 billion baht which include three new motorways and an electricity transmission line of the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha said that the three motorways would bring about prosperity and investments in the rural areas without which people will have little chance of increasing their revenue.

He pointed out that his government would implement projects which are regarded as top priority whereas projects which are of secondary priority would be passed on to the new government for implementation.

The three new motorways are: Bang Yai-Kanchanaburi motorway which will cost 55.6 billion baht of which 5.4 billion baht are to be used as compensation for land expropriation and the rest, about 50 billion baht to cover construction cost. Construction is due to commence next year and to be completed in 2019.

Pattaya-Map Tapud motorway which is estimated to cost 20 billion baht of which 14 billion baht are for construction and the rest for land expropriation. Construction is due this year and the project is expected to be completed in eight years.

Bang Pa-in-Saraburi-Nakhon Ratchasima motorway which costs about 84.6 billion baht of which 77.9 billion baht are for construction cost.

Improvement of Egat’s power transmission line in the Northeast, lower North, the central region and Bangkok was estimated to cost 94 billion baht. On top of that, improvement of the transmission line in the upper North will cost another 12.2 billion baht.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cabinet-gives-greenlight-to-three-motorway-projects

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-15

If you look at the map shown for the Pattaya - Map Tapud motorway is that not just Highway 36 to Rayong?

Clearly I'm wrong in thinking it was going to cut thro' my back garden at Nongprue and on south to Hua Yai.

For a temporary stopgap government with no mandate, they certainly don't suffer from a fear spending the kingdom's money.

Is this an extension of the BS about the subs that they don't want to leave money for the next govt to misuse ?

This does look significantly different to the one I saw that showed a new road running through Huay Yai about 3km west of the Huay Yai Rd/331 intersection.

They desperately need to do something as the Hwy 36 between Hwy7 and Rayong is just plain scary with all the trucks on it. Probably should bring it up to 4 lanes each way

Anyone know where to get a detailed map of the approved route?

Cheers

This does look significantly different to the one I saw that showed a new road running through Huay Yai about 3km west of the Huay Yai Rd/331 intersection.

They desperately need to do something as the Hwy 36 between Hwy7 and Rayong is just plain scary with all the trucks on it. Probably should bring it up to 4 lanes each way

Anyone know where to get a detailed map of the approved route?

Cheers

This is all I can find, obviously in Thai and not the same as shown in the latest news item.

The route can be identified by landmarks and roads

post-63151-0-90475300-1436928895_thumb.j

post-63151-0-16861100-1436928924_thumb.j

For a temporary stopgap government with no mandate, they certainly don't suffer from a fear spending the kingdom's money.

Is this an extension of the BS about the subs that they don't want to leave money for the next govt to misuse ?

I agree about the BS subs, but I'm pretty sure the motorway project started around PTP's term with all the talk about AEC. Misuse or not, I think motorway upgrade is long overdue as many of these routes are badly needed due to amount of traffic already on existing roads and to increase efficiency.

I would also propose a highway from downtown Bangkok which can be around Sathorn or Rama 4 that runs to the Thonburi side.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure we'll all love to see the full analysis of the impact these roads and their construction will have.

firstly in an age where new roads are viewed with great suspicion as compared to alternative communications such as railways, successive Thai governments continue to worship and subsidise the motorcar.

THe ecological and social impacts don't seem to have been given even the slightest attention.

Firstly building these roads will take up large amounts of land and time. People living in their way or next to the planned routes could have their lives at best disrupted for years or even worse forEVER.

When building roads in Europe a massive amount of time and money is spent on assessing the social and environmental impacts and balancing them against any economic boost they may generate in the end.

One thing that is well established is that more roads create more traffic and require more vehicles - then more pollution....

The ecological impact on these roads? - well it seems to me there is absolutely no consideration given to this whatsoever. the damage to wildlife from a road is huge and usually permanent - cutting habits in half, and destroying natural resources - some species of flora and fauna may even face extinction - but it is unlikely we will ever hear of that.

This government seems to thing that all there is to making a motorway is drawing a line on the map and then watching the money roll in.....it's about time they caught up with the 21st century.

Edited by cumgranosalum

This is great news and I hope the authorities get a move on with constructing these desperately needed expressways. If Thailand wants to become a more developed country it will need far better infrastructure. Many countries have built inter city expressways extending all the way to their national borders but it has taken Thailand decades just to get this far.

On another note this news story has been reported half a dozen times over the last few months. Stop reporting the same stories some of us actually have memories!

I'm sure we'll all love to see the full analysis of the impact these roads and their construction will have.

firstly in an age where new roads are viewed with great suspicion as compared to alternative communications such as railways, successive Thai governments continue to worship and subsidise the motorcar.

THe ecological and social impacts don't seem to have been given even the slightest attention.

Firstly building these roads will take up large amounts of land and time. People living in their way or next to the planned routes could have their lives at best disrupted for years or even worse forEVER.

When building roads in Europe a massive amount of time and money is spent on assessing the social and environmental impacts and balancing them against any economic boost they may generate in the end.

One thing that is well established is that more roads create more traffic and require more vehicles - then more pollution....

The ecological impact on these roads? - well it seems to me there is absolutely no consideration given to this whatsoever. the damage to wildlife from a road is huge and usually permanent - cutting habits in half, and destroying natural resources - some species of flora and fauna may even face extinction - but it is unlikely we will ever hear of that.

This government seems to thing that all there is to making a motorway is drawing a line on the map and then watching the money roll in.....it's about time they caught up with the 21st century.

Nah you obviously don't get out much and thus can't see how desperately needed proper limited access expressways are to the development of Thailand, reducing traffic congestion and thus improving quality of life.

Yes some land will need to be expropriated but so what it's mostly just rice fields anyway.

A good infrastructure strategy involves high speed expressways, trains and good urban public transport. This plan is just the first step in realizing a future with better infrastructure.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Nah you obviously don't get out much and thus can't see how desperately needed proper limited access expressways are to the development of Thailand, reducing traffic congestion and thus improving quality of life.

Yes some land will need to be expropriated but so what it's mostly just rice fields anyway.

A good infrastructure strategy involves high speed expressways, trains and goo"d urban public transport. This plan is just the first step in realizing a future with better infrastructure.

"Just rice fields" - ????

A proper transport plan would be great - "limited access expressways" NO!! -

I think you are either being sarcastic or incredibly naive about the concept of Thailand having an integrated plan for anything let alone a transport infrastructure.

Edited by cumgranosalum