Thai politics: Shooting the foreign messengers won't kill the news

webfact

I do not know why so many septics hate the current junta. Septics have, and still do support so many juntas' elsewhere. Democracy was not working in Thailand due to the gap between farmers and the city based peoples, the ethnic variances and most importantly the huge gap that still exists between rich and poor. Under the last "democratic" government, corruption thrived, and as usual, the rich got richer and the poor went backwards. Violence between the parties became the norm. Under the current regime, violence has almost ceased between the two major parties. Maybe the current government can instil non violence to the "democratic" parties before they next vote. I hope the parties can get back toward a voting system, but it seems to me that they need to be guided toward full democracy and fairness to all Thais. I must add the importance of the royal family. They are loved and respected by most Thai people, they are a cornerstone to the culture and should always be included in the future of Thailand.

See, that is the kind of propaganda the government wants and needs. There still are some people out there who know the art of painting in pink.

Well done. Straight out of the book "Government PR for Dummies"

I do not know why so many septics hate the current junta. Septics have, and still do support so many juntas' elsewhere. Democracy was not working in Thailand due to the gap between farmers and the city based peoples, the ethnic variances and most importantly the huge gap that still exists between rich and poor. Under the last "democratic" government, corruption thrived, and as usual, the rich got richer and the poor went backwards. Violence between the parties became the norm. Under the current regime, violence has almost ceased between the two major parties. Maybe the current government can instil non violence to the "democratic" parties before they next vote. I hope the parties can get back toward a voting system, but it seems to me that they need to be guided toward full democracy and fairness to all Thais. I must add the importance of the royal family. They are loved and respected by most Thai people, they are a cornerstone to the culture and should always be included in the future of Thailand.

The only reason violence has ceased is because the military has huge big guns pointed at everybody.

Please could you tell me where to find these "huge big guns pointed at everybody", as visiting (non-journalist) family want to go see them, and have their photos taken in-front-of-them ? rolleyes.gif

Speaking for myself, I'd be hard-pressed to know where to go here in Chiang Mai, apart from the guard-houses at the local military-bases themselves, to actually see an armed soldier ! wink.png

I would agree that, for a couple-of-weeks after the coup last May, the military were on the streets, and manning check-points, but I believe that to suggest that this continues now is a gross distortion of the truth !

They may not be in your face but the guns are there and they are ready to quell dissent after all it is a Military government established by a Military Coup.

It's the threat of the Military's fire power that has quietened things down.

Yes, the threat of the military was effective, in defusing the then-fraught situation.

What I find misleading, especially to the casual observer/reader who isn't actually here, is the bald statement that "the military has huge big guns pointed at everybody". wai2.gif

The only reason violence has ceased is because the military has huge big guns pointed at everybody.

Please could you tell me where to find these "huge big guns pointed at everybody", as visiting (non-journalist) family want to go see them, and have their photos taken in-front-of-them ? rolleyes.gif

Speaking for myself, I'd be hard-pressed to know where to go here in Chiang Mai, apart from the guard-houses at the local military-bases themselves, to actually see an armed soldier ! wink.png

I would agree that, for a couple-of-weeks after the coup last May, the military were on the streets, and manning check-points, but I believe that to suggest that this continues now is a gross distortion of the truth !

They may not be in your face but the guns are there and they are ready to quell dissent after all it is a Military government established by a Military Coup.

Yes, the threat of the military was effective, in defusing the then-fraught situation.

What I find misleading, especially to the casual observer/reader who isn't actually here, is the bald statement that "the military has huge big guns pointed at everybody". wai2.gif

You are just one step away from the big guns.

Try this little experiment.

1) Organize 10 people

2) Create some signs in Thai and English with some criticisms of the current government

3) Go to the nearest city

4) March in front of the government offices, holding your signs

5) Post a few pictures of your 10-person demonstration on Facebook

Let us all know how this works out for you, and how long it took before men with guns came and told you to stop.

jesimps thinks that the Thai military is pointing guns at "everyone". Well not me, not anyone in my village, don't see them at the airport or in the street. You don't live in Thailand and you should keep your uninformed opinions to yourself or whatever agency you belong to.

speaking of uninformed opinions,

Democracy was not working in Thailand due to the gap between farmers and the city based peoples, the ethnic variances and most importantly the huge gap that still exists between rich and poor.

that one is a real winner.

You are just one step away from the big guns.

Try this little experiment.

1) Organize 10 people

2) Create some signs in Thai and English with some criticisms of the current government

3) Go to the nearest city

4) March in front of the government offices, holding your signs

5) Post a few pictures of your 10-person demonstration on Facebook

Let us all know how this works out for you, and how long it took before men with guns came and told you to stop.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

congratulations! you are the latest winner of the Amazing Thailand Attitude Adjustment Awards....

thumbsup.gif

Those foreign journalists don't understand us. Only Thais can understand the real situation in Thailand. Keep those dumb journalists out.

Yes the foreigners don't understand Thainess... You see Thainess is about to be left to do what we want and don't like it to be reported by the media... the role of the media is to broadcast the message of the self appointed PM aka Napoleon... and to make sure that we capture as wide an audience as possible we cut into sport channels of pay TV as well... And still the rest of world refuse to accept our Thai democracy...

The role of you foreigners are to come to Thailand in your millions ... pay billions of dollars and accept the make-believe Thai sly.. I meant Thai smile... And dont be allowed to own property.. and why do you want be informed ...? It is not for you to tell us to run our country .. just come and spend billions and shut up! What is so difficult to understand you bunch of suckers...?