Australian woman, jailed over Facebook post, deported from Abu Dhabi

webfact

If she doesn't like the Arab way of life, why did she go to Abu Dhabi? Why is she complaining about having no access to toilet paper or eating utensils? Arabs wipe their buttocks with the left hand and eat with the right hand. This is why thieves have their right hands cut off.

She took a picture of someone parking over two disabled car spots.

What's that got to do with which hand you wipe your arse with?

My point was that this is the way it is in Abu Dhabi and much of the region. It is not unusual to eat with ones hands or to eat off a communal plate.

She was quite willing to accept the benefits of working in the city state wasn't she? The tax free status, subsidised housing, excellent compensation package, access to the finest things in life etc. all came with a price: It was an acceptance of the locals way of living. She couldn't have it both ways. Is it really any different than the idiots who visit Phuket and rent jet skis, get scammed and then complain? They get what they deserve. If one doesn't do the research first or act intelligently, then one can get hurt.

Yes, I believe she was treated harshly, but this is how it is in that part of the world. She was lucky she wasn't raped by a married man otherwise she could have been punished for adultery or forced to marry the man. We may not agree with their way of doing things, but that's how they live. If not willing to accept the risks of living in a muslim or arab land, don't go there.

samran, this quite legitimate question should be addressed to Arabs of Abu Dhabi.

geriatrickid, did you post this same question on Facebook for the silly Australian woman to answer?

No. I don't use facebook. I don't like it.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently there's no alcohol, gambling or prostitution allowed in these countries. That's BS. its just underground.

Alcohol is permitted in the UAE for non-Muslims, as is state-supervised gambling (tote style and raffles). As for hookers, name me a country without them.

The car parked across the disabled parking spaces may have belonged to a powerful sheikh or government official.

She did the right thing. She pointed out a violation of the law. That's what it means to respect the law.

Laws must be applied equally to all. I seriously doubt it was here.

In case you missed it. By pointing it out on social media she too broke the law. So she did not do the right thing and the law was applied equally to her. If you do the same you too would be deported.

People who keep visiting these retarded countries still amaze me !

Even for free in a 5stars hotels I would never visit any Muslim country and I am proud of my smart choice !

Why?

The money's pretty good for long term, as for visiting........people like to tick boxes!

What about Malaysia/ Oman/ Brunei? Wonderful places to visit, don't limit yourself!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maldives is right up there as a wonderful place too, real smart choice not to go here ?

I doubt they would have reacted to a photo of a car parked across two disabled spots and the reg plate blurred out unless she made some derogatory comment about Arabs in the process.

Smacks to me of the poor Australian "mother" (drunk) who stole the beer mat, abused and insulted the police and got banged up in Phuket.

It's never their fault.

Probably the registration plate insulted a high rank arab...

I doubt they would have reacted to a photo of a car parked across two disabled spots and the reg plate blurred out unless she made some derogatory comment about Arabs in the process.

Smacks to me of the poor Australian "mother" (drunk) who stole the beer mat, abused and insulted the police and got banged up in Phuket.

It's never their fault.

Probably the registration plate insulted a high rank arab...

Read above.

I don't think it's the same everywhere in the Middle East. I posted a picture on Facebook a few years ago when I was working there of a pedestrian footbridge in Dubai which had a nice slope for wheelchairs and prams on one side of the road, and a set of steps on the other side! No one ever tried to fine me or deport me.

I am currently working In Saudi which has some of the nicest people you could hope to meet (see Anthony Bourdains No Reservations programme on YouTube). Obviously things are different here than in the West, and just like people always say in the West, when you are a guest in my country, respect that fact and we will respect you. It's not London, Paris or New York, but it's not hell either, and the culture is developing gradually.

With enough tolerance on both sides we can find a way to live alongside one another without these petty squabbles and learn more about each other.

Apparently there's no alcohol, gambling or prostitution allowed in these countries. That's BS. its just underground.

Alcohol is permitted in the UAE for non-Muslims, as is state-supervised gambling (tote style and raffles). As for hookers, name me a country without them.

I didnt say hookers did not exist. Where there are such strict laws against them, hookers are thriving, but also there is a lot of abuse. So its all inconsistent.

I refuse to accept that its all the non-muslims doing the drinking and bunga bunga parties.

I didnt say hookers did not exist. Where there are such strict laws against them, hookers are thriving, but also there is a lot of abuse. So its all inconsistent.

I refuse to accept that its all the non-muslims doing the drinking and bunga bunga parties.

They don't do really detailed checks on 'muslimness'. Lack of national dress is considered adequate. Although you need a license to buy from approved off licenses.

The car parked across the disabled parking spaces may have belonged to a powerful sheikh or government official.

She did the right thing. She pointed out a violation of the law. That's what it means to respect the law.

In case you missed it. By pointing it out on social media she too broke the law. So she did not do the right thing and the law was applied equally to her. If you do the same you too would be deported.

You don't need to make this personal. I am referring to the topic. There is no evidence of this level of abuse towards someone who has "broken the law" in UAE in a similar case before, otherwise we would have heard about it. By this level of abuse, I mean:

After 53 hours in custody, having been shackled at the ankles, strip-searched, blood tested, forced to sleep on a concrete floor without a mattress or pillow and having no access to toilet paper or eating utensils, I can happily say I AM SAFE & OUT OF JAIL AND ABU DHABI!

If someone is breaking the law, or if a law is unjust, you are well within your right to point it out and indeed bring about change. Have a read about the civil rights movement in USA, the Satyagraga movement in India, what happened with the work of Nelson Mandela in South Africa.

Since you had to make this personal: No I would not be deported, because after what has happened, I would not in a million years go to (although I have in the past visited the Middle East (sometimes referred to as Near East)) such a despicable, inhospitable place, unless there is evidence to the contrary.

Although you refuse to admit it you would do what this Australian Woman (Good on her) did in this situation (think about a mother who jumps in to moving traffic to save her child...its probably illegal to do this) unless of course you don't believe in a "will".

Edited by meltingpot2015

OK here's how it works:

ABU DHABI: An Australian woman was deported from the United Arab Emirates on Tuesday after being arrested and fined for “insulting” social media posts, according to a judicial source in Abu Dhabi.

Jodi Magi, 39, appeared in an Abu Dhabi court and was taken into custody on July 12 before being placed on a flight to Bangkok — her “destination of choice” — on Tuesday evening, the same source said.

The trouble began in February, when she posted on her Facebook page a photo of a car illegally parked between two places reserved for disabled drivers near her apartment in Abu Dhabi.

The picture was accompanied by “insulting, degrading remarks”, said the source.

It was a European's car that she photographed, but my guess is that she slagged off the Arabs.

By the way, she was deported to Bangkok, so keep an eye out.

Maybe she can shed some light on why she didn't just leave when they delicately hinted she should.

They quite often give people an out before sentencing them, just to get rid.

she was deported to Bangkok

You make it sound like they can deport her to wherever they want. Don't think it works like that. She CHOSE Bangkok.

Anyway, she is not in Bangkok anymore.

she was deported to Bangkok

You make it sound like they can deport her to wherever they want. Don't think it works like that. She CHOSE Bangkok.

Anyway, she is not in Bangkok anymore.

Huh?

I didn't make it sound like anything. I just said she was deported to Bangkok.

You don't need to make this personal. I am referring to the topic. There is no evidence of this level of abuse towards someone who has "broken the law" in UAE in a similar case before, otherwise we would have heard about it. By this level of abuse, I mean:

After 53 hours in custody, having been shackled at the ankles, strip-searched, blood tested, forced to sleep on a concrete floor without a mattress or pillow and having no access to toilet paper or eating utensils, I can happily say I AM SAFE & OUT OF JAIL AND ABU DHABI!

If someone is breaking the law, or if a law is unjust, you are well within your right to point it out and indeed bring about change. Have a read about the civil rights movement in USA, the Satyagraga movement in India, what happened with the work of Nelson Mandela in South Africa.

Since you had to make this personal: No I would not be deported, because after what has happened, I would not in a million years go to (although I have in the past visited the Middle East (sometimes referred to as Near East)) such a despicable, inhospitable place, unless there is evidence to the contrary.

Although you refuse to admit it you would do what this Australian Woman (Good on her) did in this situation (think about a mother who jumps in to moving traffic to save her child...its probably illegal to do this) unless of course you don't believe in a "will".

The point is that she is NOT well within her right to point it out on social media, that is illegal.

No I wouldn't feel the urge to do what she did by posting it on facebook.

The Australian Foreign Minister has said the woman was treated as per any normal deportation from there. The woman was treated the same as any other foreigner being deported.

why people are so stupid to follow the marketing BS of these countries that just have nothing better to offer than civilized south east Asia where Muslim rules do not pretend to control us.

Guys, enjoy your trips to these places that are for me worst than hell, but don't come to cry later when shit happens !

I wish the worst to all these ridiculous millionaires who invest in these monkey lands and to all foreigners who travel there for fun, they just deserve it.

Several middle eastern countries and their people, have some of the thinnest skin and apparently some of the lowest self-esteem, of anyone on the planet. The number of things that they forbid is a mile long. A society without joy is no society at all, in my book. You can't drive. You can't listen to music. Have fun? Forget about it. Criticize us? We can't handle it. We are not real men. We are half men. We cannot take anyone saying anything bad about us. And put in jail without the most basic of comforts? That is 13th century barbarism. Shame on these super freaks. And I am a tolerant man. But, some lines should not be crossed. They should know better. I would expect something like this from the Saudis. But the Emirates?

who gives a flying fàrt what's a society "in your book?" huh.png

why people are so stupid to follow the marketing BS of these countries that just have nothing better to offer than civilized south east Asia where Muslim rules do not pretend to control us.

Guys, enjoy your trips to these places that are for me worst than hell, but don't come to cry later when shit happens !

I wish the worst to all these ridiculous millionaires who invest in these monkey lands and to all foreigners who travel there for fun, they just deserve it.

many poor boys wish the worst should happen to ridiculous millionaires laugh.png

If she doesn't like the Arab way of life, why did she go to Abu Dhabi? Why is she complaining about having no access to toilet paper or eating utensils? Arabs wipe their buttocks with the left hand and eat with the right hand. This is why thieves have their right hands cut off.

She took a picture of someone parking over two disabled car spots.

What's that got to do with which hand you wipe your arse with?

Have you not noticed he is a fountain of knowledge and therfore cannot be questioned.Just for one upmanship I was there in 1967 when it was nothing but dessert and camel shaggers.

How I long for those simple days! Oil has a lot to answer for! the world would have been a much more peaceful place,without Black Gold!

Edited by MAJIC

Well this isn't about how women are treated in their jails, sounds to me like they are treated pretty much like the men.

It isn't meant to be a nice place.

She simply posted a picture of a parked car on Facebook, I read a bit but got bored.

Was there more to it or was it Sheik xxxx bin Zayed's car?

53 hrs without toilet paper? how did she survived?!

this is how Arabs in Saudi Arabia want to live - if you don't like it why the hell did you go there?! to contaminate this nation with your sick feminist ideas? to teach them how to live?

ridiculous!

Edited by TimmyT

Several middle eastern countries and their people, have some of the thinnest skin and apparently some of the lowest self-esteem, of anyone on the planet. The number of things that they forbid is a mile long. A society without joy is no society at all, in my book. You can't drive. You can't listen to music. Have fun? Forget about it. Criticize us? We can't handle it. We are not real men. We are half men. We cannot take anyone saying anything bad about us. And put in jail without the most basic of comforts? That is 13th century barbarism. Shame on these super freaks. And I am a tolerant man. But, some lines should not be crossed. They should know better. I would expect something like this from the Saudis. But the Emirates?

who gives a flying fàrt what's a society "in your book?" huh.png

That is not really a concern of mine. I care very little what others think of me. We are all just expressing ourselves on this forum. I kind of thought that was the point of this forum. Apparently some do not.

The point is that she is NOT well within her right to point it out on social media, that is illegal.

The Australian Foreign Minister has said the woman was treated as per any normal deportation from there. The woman was treated the same as any other foreigner being deported.

The point is, the only reason it is illegal in the Emirates, is because they are a thin skinned, seriously insecure culture of men who are very, very unsure of themselves, and need all of these laws to protect themselves against the perceived slights by others. They also have a lot of laws designed to keep women downtrodden, as they are not man enough to defend themselves on their own, and they think so little of themselves as men, that they need to oppress their women in this manner. Overall, disgusting and medieval behavior, on so many levels.

Who the hell cares if someone posts a car double parked. No doubt it was a car owned by a policeman, a shiek, or someone in government Regardless, it is reprehensible what they did to this woman, and many of us are thrilled they are getting the kind of press they deserve.

Well this isn't about how women are treated in their jails, sounds to me like they are treated pretty much like the men.

It isn't meant to be a nice place.

She simply posted a picture of a parked car on Facebook, I read a bit but got bored.

Was there more to it or was it Sheik xxxx bin Zayed's car?

I'll post it again:

The picture was accompanied by “insulting, degrading remarks”, said the source.

Mu guess is it probably mentioned "Arabs are stupid" or something equally insulting.

Ask yourself how Thais would react if you publicly posted a picture of someone parking stupidly (not hard to find) and said "Thais are stupid"?

When in Rome, etc.

Edited by Chicog

They'll be expecting to ride in those new fangled automobile thingies next.

What century you still living in GK? Ever been to Abu Dhabi?

I don't think Thai prisons provide free toilet paper, not sure about the state of eating utensils. I was told sometime ago British prisoners are provided with 3 sheets of toilet paper, you remember the old shiny hard stuff. They have to buy any additional sheets from their meager wages.

Not all countries treat prisoners like honored guests.

I don't recall Abu Dhabi cutting any hands off whilst I was there, or any other member state of the UAE. Usually thieves, brawlers, and the odd drunk were from the labor camps. They would be fined and/or imprisoned and then immediately deported.

There must be more to this story. IME the police in AD react to parking offences, as do the parking officials. If someone blocked you in the police would send them and SMS and they had a few minutes to move their vehicle or it got towed.

The point is, the only reason it is illegal in the Emirates, is because they are a thin skinned, seriously insecure culture of men who are very, very unsure of themselves, and need all of these laws to protect themselves against the perceived slights by others. They also have a lot of laws designed to keep women downtrodden, as they are not man enough to defend themselves on their own, and they think so little of themselves as men, that they need to oppress their women in this manner. Overall, disgusting and medieval behavior, on so many levels.

Who the hell cares if someone posts a car double parked. No doubt it was a car owned by a policeman, a shiek, or someone in government Regardless, it is reprehensible what they did to this woman, and many of us are thrilled they are getting the kind of press they deserve.

I don't know why her post caused such a strong reaction. Hard to tell from what's been reported but I guess there is more to it.

Yes they are a sensitive people. But IME and IMO no way are the Abu Dhabi ladies downtrodden. I worked with many who were very strong characters and had senior positions. Yes they do respect traditions and the family including the role of wife and mum. But most Emirati men I was friendly with moaned about exactly the same things I did.

Male or female, you were judged more on how you did something than the actual result. They were realistic about results but would not tolerate what they consider inappropriate behavior. I saw some very good results orientated people who were delivering get fired because their manner was too abrupt and ruffled people up. One of the female Australian managers I knew threw a BBQ pool party. She invited some of the pantry boys who were paid to serve drinks etc. Sometime during the night they all went in the pool. Pictures of her, in the pool with a couple of the pantry boys surfaced on social media. All were in swimming costumes as were other guests. It was deemed inappropriate and all three were fired. The pantry boys were deported. She could look for another job or leave if unsuccessful.

It's different, and if you want to live and work there, that's how it is. They expect foreigners to obey laws, and act with manners and civility. If you don't your're out. Simple as that.

Alcohol is legally available in AD, providing you are not Moslem. Even has the mandatory Irish pub!

Prostitution - huge amount of "escorts" on the website. Certain hotels/restaurants are known pick up places for ladies of the night. Chinese, Russian, Central Asian, East European, Japanese, even South American ladies - all heading for a very rich place with lots of money about. My Chinese colleagues there told me the "Chinese gangs" were well established there, as are the Russians.

No idea about gambling.

There is a large and growing drug problem there.

Huh?

@Chicog:

It implies THEY picked Bangkok. If you said:

she was deported and she chose bangkok.

that would be more factual.

Have a read of this. In deportation the destination is irrelevant.

In the deportation hearing, the destination is not the focus of the hearing.

When someone has 16500+ posts to their name and they are being corrected by someone with 250+ posts. Thats a lot of face to lose.

@Chicog:

When someone has 16500+ posts to their name and they are being corrected by someone with 250+ posts. Thats a lot of face to lose.

Have you ever heard the phrase "making a mountain out of a molehill"?

Get a life.

Now, on with the show:

In April, the Australian was sentenced in absentia to pay a fine of AED 10,000 ($2,720) and deportation.

She appeared in court with a lawyer and interpreter to appeal against the verdict the following month, but to no avail and her sentence was confirmed in June.

So basically she could have just paid the fine and left, and probably returned six months later, although I'm guessing if she's insulting the locals she probably doesn't belong there.

As the Thais would say, Som Num Na.

Huh?

@Chicog:

Keep digging..........by the way, what has the amount of posts got to do with anything?