Australian woman, jailed over Facebook post, deported from Abu Dhabi

webfact

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I see it, the lady was fined, and ordered to be deported for her errant Facebook post.

After paying the fine she was held in custody pending deportation. Many countries do this to ensure people don't disappear into the community. The time in custody wasn't part of the punishment for her breach of the law.

I tried to find what she actually said on Facebook, all I found was this statement from her on her web page:

"Obviously, I think a $3600 fine and deportation with a complimentary incarceration period was an extreme reaction to a jpg of a car posted" to a closed Facebook page, when I did not swear or mention a single name and blocked the registration plate."

http://jodimagi.com/2015/07/14/free/

Edited by Old Croc

Guys, Do not visit countries that have inconsistent laws and procedures. When someone is arrested (in UAE) there are no clear rules about how long they can hold you for. It could be hours, days, weeks or months. Have a look at:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/07/world/meast/uae-jailed-american/

The australian government travel advice website says:

The resolution of even simple legal issues can be prolonged and complex.

That's internal procedures. Also, the laws are so inconsistent when compared to international standards. E.g. If you are a victim of sexual assault and you report it, YOU could face criminal charges and be jailed. there is no such law in Malaysia which is also a muslim country.

Note that due to the lack of clear procedures (e.g. no legal support for the Australian Woman, time taken for the case to come before a court, Charges not made clear for her to get legal advice or consular support) it has made it easy for them to make stuff up willy-nilly.

They have lied to the media and in Court by the looks of it, saying the Australian Woman made insulting comments.

Have you ever treated the visitors to your home in this manner?

Yes,

'State' law. The Saudis paid Sharjah to go dry for example.

Why did the Saudis do that? Was it based on business investments elsewhere in UAE?

Because Sharjah was skint and the Saudis like 'spreading the word'. The Hilton (I think) had a launch party that day for a swish new bar and everyone turned up expecting free piss. Instead they got fruit cocktails :)

The way I see it, the lady was fined, and ordered to be deported for her errant Facebook post.

After paying the fine she was held in custody pending deportation. Many countries do this to ensure people don't disappear into the community. The time in custody wasn't part of the punishment for her breach of the law.

I tried to find what she actually said on Facebook, all I found was this statement from her on her web page:

"Obviously, I think a $3600 fine and deportation with a complimentary incarceration period was an extreme reaction to a jpg of a car posted" to a closed Facebook page, when I did not swear or mention a single name and blocked the registration plate."

After paying the fine she was held in custody pending deportation. Many countries do this to ensure people don't disappear into the community.

Can you please name these countries. There was no real risk that she would "disappear" in to the community. This was a minor offense even by UAE standards. Reflected in the fact that it carried no jail term. She is not a serial killer. Serial photographer, YES. The only danger she posed was that she may have taken more shots (that's photos). Very much doubt she would have disappeared.

From what I comprehend, deportation is a very quick process, unless their are complications (there wasn't in this instance).

Anyway, there is no talk of bail at all. Some countries offer bail for so called "cyber crimes".

Maybe she was offered bail but could not afford it. she mentions that a muslim lawyer acted on her behalf pro bono. No idea if that was before/after taking up the advice of the Australian consulate or before/after the deportation order was handed down.

After paying the fine she was held in custody pending deportation. Many countries do this to ensure people don't disappear into the community.

Can you please name these countries. There was no real risk that she would "disappear" in to the community. This was a minor offense even by UAE standards. Reflected in the fact that it carried no jail term. She is not a serial killer. Serial photographer, YES. The only danger she posed was that she may have taken more shots (that's photos). Very much doubt she would have disappeared.

From what I comprehend, deportation is a very quick process, unless their are complications (there wasn't in this instance).

Anyway, there is no talk of bail at all. Some countries offer bail for so called "cyber crimes".

Maybe she was offered bail but could not afford it. she mentions that a muslim lawyer acted on her behalf pro bono. No idea if that was before/after taking up the advice of the Australian consulate or before/after the deportation order was handed down.

I'm not going to try to comply a list for you of countries that hold deportees in custody, but I will repeat there are many.

I will name two for you to digest - Thailand and Australia..

I was obviously speaking generally to offer some explanation why people are held in custody in these circumstances, You want to argue against my statement by switching to her specific case. I don't know her, so I couldn't make a definitive statement that she was a flight risk. I gather you do know her as you have made such a statement?

To restate the obvious, deportation can be a very quick process unless there are complications. Glad we got that wisdom out to the world!

The rest of your post didn't seem to relate to mine so I won't bother responding.

@Old Croc:

You say there are many countries, then name two. Makes no sense!.

There is nothing to corroborate what you say. Australia do not deport foreigners for minor offences. Have a look at:

http://www.visafirst.com/en/news_and_updates.asp?item_id=1865

As for Thailand, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office of United Kingdom says the following about bail:

Following your arrest your lawyer will advise you whether you are eligible to apply for bail. Bail can
be paid either at the police station immediately after your arrest in small cases, or in court in if you
have already made your first court appearance. If you do not have enough money to post bail, we
can contact friends in Thailand on your behalf, or ask the FCO in London to contact relatives or
friends in the United Kingdom (or elsewhere overseas), who may be willing to help you. It can take
several days to arrange to transfer funds via the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, or a British
Embassy or Consulate in a third country.
If bail is successful, you will find that the court usually keeps your passport. If you are released on
bail, it is usual for a court date to be fixed about 6-8 weeks after the date of your arrest. You are
usually free to travel within Thailand during this period.

You can take a look at the document yourself, it's up to you.

I was obviously speaking generally to offer some explanation why people are held in custody in these circumstances, You want to argue against my statement by switching to her specific case.

What you have said is so absurd, ridiculous and bordering on the insane, you should be grateful its even going to receive a reply.

It is a contradiction to say you were speaking generally "in these circumstances". Think about it. If you are speaking of certain circumstances are you speaking generally?, or are you speaking particularly about those circumstances?

Also, you cannot, I repeat, cannot, generalize on these cases. Someone awaiting deportation for a serious crime will find it difficult to apply (and be granted) bail, whereas those charged with minor offences may not. (Again, it depends on a host of factors, not just major/minor. Was she likely to re-offend. Unlikely, she received a fine as punishment and paid it)

I don't know her, so I couldn't make a definitive statement that she was a flight risk. I gather you do know her as you have made such a statement?

No!. No!. you were speaking "generally" about "most countries". If she posed a flight risk, how come she came to the court and paid the fine.
Deportation should have been the punishment for repeating the offense. (Remember, she received a fine, and she paid it)

You don't need to know someone personally to give your opinion. (I am not looking to bail her out. only commenting on the nature of the offense, care to re-read my previous post) In a community you don't know each other personally. You don't need to look far, take this ThaiVisa community as an example.

Seriously, I know you are just following the advice of the ThaiVisa.com superiors like a good boy and repeating back to me what I have said before.
e.g. wisdom, world, circumstances (I used circumstances in a personal e-mail to someone -- makes you wonder about anonymity in these forums), will, don't know, risk, repeat.

Its high time to grow a backbone and get real. Tell them you don't want to be on their patronage list. Just tell them you have a life outside thaivisa.