Re-entry Permit

Can somebody help me to answer this question on Re-entry Permit :

My re-entry permit (multiple) expires 24th August (or to use it within 24th August). Say I travel out before 24th August and will be back after 24th August, but I need to apply again a new re-entry permit. And I have a Residency Permit also. Will I be penalized if I stay outside Thailand after 24th August ?

The re-entry permit is associated with your permission to stay. If you will be returning after expiration of your current permission to stay, you probably want to get an extension to your permission to stay, combined with a new re-entry permit for the updated permission to stay, before leaving the country. If you return after expiry of your permission to stay, you will just receive a visa exempt entry of 30 days.

Edited by BritTim

"Will I be penalized if I stay outside Thailand after 24th August ?"

You need to re-enter before the 24th of August otherwise your Residence Permit expires and you'd have to reapply.

It's best to get a new re-entry permit before you leave then you have nothing to worry about.

when you say Residence permit, do you mean you have Permanent Residency?

They are the same thing.

Residence Permits are commonly referred to as Permanent Residency, but as this example shows it's not permanent. A residence permit replaces the need for Non-I visas and annual extensions. It's effectively an open ended extension of stay. But as with 1 year extensions if you leave the country and re-enter without a re-entry permit it's lost and you need to start again.

They are the same thing.

Residence Permits are commonly referred to as Permanent Residency, but as this example shows it's not permanent. A residence permit replaces the need for Non-I visas and annual extensions. It's effectively an open ended extension of stay. But as with 1 year extensions if you leave the country and re-enter without a re-entry permit it's lost and you need to start again.

Going to be pedantic here, I have a permit to reside in Thailand it is an extension to my visa however, I do not hold permanent residency.

Also my wife holds a Residence Permit for Germany, but is not a Permanent Resident as she holds no German ID Card.

Edited by beano2274

They are the same thing.

Going to be pedantic here, I have a permit to reside in Thailand it is an extension to my visa however, I do not hold permanent residency.

Also my wife holds a Residence Permit for Germany, but is not a Permanent Resident as she holds no German ID Card.

Pedant away beano. smile.png But that's exactly what I said.

I meant that generally people refer to residency permits wrongly as permanent residency or permanent residency permits. The point being that whatever they get called they are referring to the same thing and there is no permanency. Given you know the difference it was a strange question to ask as the OP clearly stated he has a residency permit.