Thai Culture Minister eyes management model of Peru's Machu Picchu

webfact

Culture Minister eyes management model of Peru's Machu Picchu

MACHU PICCHU, 15 July 2015 (NNT) - Culture Minister Weera Rojpojanarat was impressed with Peru's management of its historic sanctuary of Machu Picchu, saying the pattern could be adopted for use at world heritage sites in Thailand.

The minister led a delegation of Thai Culture officials to visit the Peruvian world heritage of Machu Picchu, an ancient urban city of the Inca Empire which has become a state-owned national park managed by the Cultural Office of Cusco, Peru. The minister also discussed and exchanged views with the Director of the Cultural Office of Cusco, Mr. Fernando Astete Victoria.

Mr.Weera said later that Peru has well managed the historic sanctuary, especially in the archaeological conservation of the site while an excavation for new discovery is ongoing. The Cultural Office of Cusco has cooperated with the private sector and local authorities in developing roads and railway access to the historical site, allowing flows of tourists and a lot of income to support Cusco's local economy.

Each year, Machu Picchu has earned over THB1,400m from entrance fees. The income is used for the conservation of the site and also benefits other Peruvian ancient remains beyond the boundary of Machu Picchu.

Mr. Fernando Astete Victoria said the most attractive aspect of Machu Picchu was its city planning and refined architecture, which blends exceptionally well with the stunning mountainous terrain and slopes. He said he hoped the visit of the Thai delegation would help promote tourism of Peru among Thai nationals.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-15 footer_n.gif

Income is used for the conservation of the site and also benefits other Peruvian ancient remains beyond the boundary of Machu Picchu.

'Is' it though? After all, much of Koh Samet is supposed to be a national park and has been suckling the cash cow of foreign tourists for years via its so called 'rangers' but I don't believe a f**** g word of it, based in what I and others have seen there. Now it has been nearly twenty years since I visited Machu Picchu but I have heard it has become more and more regulated and expensive to visit 'supposedly' because of us visiting it.

It is difficult to know if money goes straight into people's pockets in Lima and Bangkok, or actually gets spent on what they claim it is spent on. One thing is for sure, over the last twenty years or so there has been a 'model' of ring fencing historical sites and charging foreigners an entry fee which bears no resemblance to the local economy whatsoever. Countries who haven't, simply haven't cottoned on yet.

I suspect it is 'this' the Thai Culture Minister has 'eyed'

The Thai reported that The Cultural Office of Cusco "cooperate" with the private an public sector. Right here is the catch 22 for THais. Thais do not "cooperate." There is no Thai comprehension of cooperate. The Thai equivalent of cooperate is money changing hans without concern for strategy, goals, mutual understanding without Thai interpretation later.

After reading some of these moronic comments I ask ... Why do I bother?

When I first moved here in 2007 I read an article saying that most of the college educated office workers in BKK were first generation off the farm.

Thais have always thought of themselves as the center of the Asian universe ... the most advanced ... the most cultured ... the best... AND ... Never mind looking at successful management models in other countries.

Now Thailand is changing ... more educated ... better traveled ...

Looking at successful models outside Thailand not only for historical sites but for preservation of natural resources and education is a smart move.

When I first moved here in 2007 I read an article saying that most of the college educated office workers in BKK were first generation off the farm.

Thais have always thought of themselves as the center of the Asian universe ... the most advanced ... the most cultured ... the best... AND ... Never mind looking at successful management models in other countries.

Looking at successful models outside Thailand not only for historical sites but for preservation of natural resources and education is a smart move.

Razer, really ... how can you be so naive after 8 years here. This was a junket, a perk of the job with a few snappy PR type comments thrown in to try to give the trip some kind of legitimacy. The net result in terms of benefits to Thailand will be zero. Ask yourself this question: Why was it necessary to send a delegation to such an exotic locale to learn about its management techniques when the answers are already here in this country, and only require a bit of common sense to envisage and enact? It's not rocket science we are talking about.

Imagine hoards of chinese tourists in a place like Machu Picchu, spitting and kicking but thats what you have now Thailand so deal with it ... ha-ha-ha ...

BTW Thai authorities are not able to maintain anything - too mutt Money going to mia noi and what not ...facepalm.gif

Moronic? Perhaps. Poorly thought out? Perhaps.

Your views have merit and are thought provoking for sure.

For some, the thought pattern is limited to the use of vulgarities, negative slurs and juvenile obfuscation. They too have value in that they magnify the narrow mindedness of the poster.

Keep posting my friend.

Razer, really ... how can you be so naive after 8 years here. This was a junket, a perk of the job with a few snappy PR type comments thrown in to try to give the trip some kind of legitimacy. The net result in terms of benefits to Thailand will be zero. Ask yourself this question: Why was it necessary to send a delegation to such an exotic locale to learn about its management techniques when the answers are already here in this country, and only require a bit of common sense to envisage and enact? It's not rocket science we are talking about.

A junket? Who paid for it? How much was paid? Was it cost shared between both countries? Was it a reciprocal visit? What accredited report states the net results and benefits? What is common sense in this instance? Who decides what that is? A Thai or a non-stakeholder?

Seems to be rife with unanswered questions and I certainly am not qualified or informed enough to answer them.

I have been coming to Thailand since 1993 and have lived here full-time since 2013. I am still naive and unable to determine who shares that title with me.

Edited by Benmart