Forced to return to home country - what would you do?

simon43

Mostly whites in inner London

Are there any whites left there. I thought they'd all gone to live in their little condos around Asoke.

Aww, is a hut in Nakhon Nowhere all you can afford, then?

Wrong again! Just sold my house here in Thailand 16 million, now staying in my bkk condo until I decide what to do next.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forced to go to Germany for medical reasons, I would immediately go to hospital and tell them I'm completely broke. They would not be allowed to refuse me there.

I would repeatedly insist on access to a social health insurance, and I would offer them a bargain: treatment in Thailand.

They would probably not accept it, and I would have to repeat my claims to court. In court I would insist on my constitutional grant to property, because I partly worked for the rights to social health care. No guarantee about the result, but I would certainly try it.

there is no future for thai people in the USA, once you are gone for good , they will go back to Thailand. it s all in your head. nobody want become an IRS slave.

People are waiting years to get into the USA, risking life and limb to hop borders.

Why? because there are jobs. The lucky ones get in and send funds abroad.

Your making some privledged IRS argument that is laughable.

For many immigrants paying taxes is the last thing on their minds, they just don't file.

The problem of old people retiring in Thailand might grow.

Without any health insurance and family support, Western countries might have to take them back. And that will get really expensive for Western welfare systems.

Actually, all workers and pensioners are supposed have a *social* health insurance in their countries, where they contributed while working (maybe NHS in UK). Where "social" means treatments cannot be refused because of pre-existing conditions (chronical diseases eg.) Private health insurances might not cover up everything. So, Western social health insurances should be forced to pay treatments in Thailand. Simple because it is cheaper here.

The same holds true with nursing.

So, Western social health insurances should be forced to pay treatments in Thailand. Simple because it is cheaper here.

True, so why do some western governments make it so hard to live over here? If they could only take their heads out of where the sun don't shine, they would realise it would be cheaper for them to encourage us to retire here than back home.

Western Governments don't make it hard to live in Thailand. Thailand does that by itself, you clown.

You choose to live in another country. You want the advantages of living elsewhere, without the disadvantages? Humans survived hundreds of thousands of years before welfare was invented. The Thais also survive without welfare.

Isn't it time you be an adult now? Why should any country offer you priveledges when you decide to abandon living there and live somewhere else? They don't benefit by you spending their money in another country.

WOW, did you ever get that wrong. Try reading what I wrote before going off on a rant.

I can live in my home country and they HAVE to pay for all my hospital costs there- do you have any idea what a stroke patient costs to rehabilitate, or how much a heart bypass operation costs, plus rest home cost if one doesn't have savings?

OR they make it easy for me to live in LOS where the hospital costs etc are much lower.

The taxpayer would benefit considerably if they could get lots of pensioners ( the largest users of hospitals ) to live in LOS.

The Thai systems infrastructures can't cope with increased numbers of not very affluent pensioners. With old age comes increased risks costs etc..they pay no income tax here..the argument that the UK or overseas should somehow contribute is not practical...so many cases of foreigners ending up in hospital can't pay etc..using government hospitals etc..

Your point has some merit, but Thailand doesn't need to be over run by other countries aged populations

there is no future for thai people in the USA, once you are gone for good , they will go back to Thailand. it s all in your head. nobody want become an IRS slave.

People are waiting years to get into the USA, risking life and limb to hop borders.

Why? because there are jobs. The lucky ones get in and send funds abroad.

Your making some privledged IRS argument that is laughable.

For many immigrants paying taxes is the last thing on their minds, they just don't file.

Yeah, there are jobs available but not very high paying ones. $9 - $20/hr is typical. Add to that there is only 2 weeks vacation time some jobs offer none, police state silliness, etc. It's simply not a very desirable place to move to anymore.

The problem of old people retiring in Thailand might grow.

Without any health insurance and family support, Western countries might have to take them back. And that will get really expensive for Western welfare systems.

Actually, all workers and pensioners are supposed have a *social* health insurance in their countries, where they contributed while working (maybe NHS in UK). Where "social" means treatments cannot be refused because of pre-existing conditions (chronical diseases eg.) Private health insurances might not cover up everything. So, Western social health insurances should be forced to pay treatments in Thailand. Simple because it is cheaper here.

So, Western social health insurances should be forced to pay treatments in Thailand. Simple because it is cheaper here.

True, so why do some western governments make it so hard to live over here? If they could only take their heads out of where the sun don't shine, they would realise it would be cheaper for them to encourage us to retire here than back home.

Western Governments don't make it hard to live in Thailand. Thailand does that by itself,<deleted>

You choose to live in another country. You want the advantages of living elsewhere, without the disadvantages? Humans survived hundreds of thousands of years before welfare was invented. The Thais also survive without welfare.

Isn't it time you be an adult now? Why should any country offer you priveledges when you decide to abandon living there and live somewhere else? They don't benefit by you spending their money in another country.

Simple answer:

I was forced to become a member of German social health system and contributed to it for decades, my contributions were taken from my gross wages.

So, my membership has already been paid by me.

Edited by micmichd

@huawei:

You probably think of old Farangs like lifelong tourists. It is not always like that.

I use Thai infrastructure, yes, but my income taxes go to Thailand.

I also support a Thai girl here, I pay education for her, so she won't have to sell her body to Farangs (including myself) This young Thai girl might have to stop college if I would be forced to go back to Germany, and Germany would have to pay more for medical care than any Thai hospital would ever ask for. All sides would lose.

The argument that Thailand shouldn't be over run by other countries aged populations is understandable. I see the danger of too much (pseudo)" immigration" into Thailand, too, and I would certainly not want to see scenes like we see them in Germany these days.

This risk is relative though.

With the decline of Western economies, jobs get less and wages decline over there, so consequently pensions will decline. The present Farang pensioners might be the last generation that can afford to live in Thailand, future generations of pensioners will simply not have enough money to get a long-time visa and live in Thailand.

I'm living in the hub of old age pensioners, in Pattaya. Many here already complain that Farangs stay away from Pattaya, and that there are not enough Farangs to follow up. What can be done if it is this way?

My suggestion is to find a field where Thailand has something to offer, where there is a demand in the West but no proper supply. The medical and para-medical care that the West cannot provide in their own countries because it is too expensive. Maybe due to high wages, maybe due to medical industrialisation.

If the concentration of old Farangs gets too much in some Thai regions, Thai government could still introduce quotas. But I guess Thai society and the market will solve these non-problems themselves, without an additional administration.

Edited by micmichd

in 20 years, I predict that Thailand will be expensive like Europe. we will all be slave of the system. there is no place to hide anymore. it started with fatca, then CRS (2018?)http://www.pwc.com/us/en/financial-services/publications/fatca-publications/pwc-tax-insights-common-reporting-standard.jhtml and it will go deeper and deeper in your pocket to take everything from you.

they will take away your retirement benefits, then your saving, then your house, to a point you will have to go work until your drop dead. it s just a new slavery system.

we the people of this world became so weak and so brainwashed by consumerism that we don't even see the shit coming.

Edited by VIPinthailand

I'm not sure where I would end up. I left the UK because it was boring. Now I have a family, my priorities have changed. The schools here are simply awful unless you send your kid to a handful of international schools. My wife wants to leave Thailand as she's had enough of dealing with people who would be classified as retarded in the West, although a move away from Chiang Mai would improve that situation.

My job relies upon the time zone here in relation to the UK & US, so I would probably end up in a neighbouring country given the choice. Otherwise I would probably settle in the West Country (UK) as I have family there and I would hopefully find a place near enough to a pub to enjoy company when I felt like it, but far enough away from people to be left alone for the rest of the time.