Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says a big thank you to Thailand

webfact

LIVERPOOL
Rodgers says a big thank you to Thailand

The Nation

30264505-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers hopes his team's comprehensive victory on Thai soil would bring them some luck during the forthcoming Premier League season.

Goals from Lazar Markovic, Mamadou Sakho, Adam Lallna and Divock Origi eased the visiting Liverpool side to a comfortable 40 victory over the True All Star Team featuring Thai players from various Thai Premier League clubs on Tuesday's evening at Rajamangala National stadium.

The last time the Merseyside club visited the country, which was two years ago, they recorded an equally impressive 30 win before they went on to enjoy an outstanding season in which they came agonisingly close to winning their first league title since 1990.

The Northern Irishman was spotted having a brief conversation with his opposite number, Kiatisak Senamuang, the same man in the opposite dugout at the same venue in 2013, at the end of the game. Asked at the postgame conference what he said to the national team coach, Rodgers, entering his third season in charge of the team, said he hoped the win would bring a turn around of the club's fortunes following a disappointing sixthplace finish last term.

"It was nice to see him after a couple of years ago and hopefully he brings us the luck we had the last time we saw him because we had a very good season after that," said the 42yearold Liverpool boss.

He was also satisfied with his side's performance in their opening preseason game in which they had to cope with contrasting conditions as the second half was played under torrential rain.

"Obviously we played two different teams in either half and I thought both teams played very, very well. The first half in terms of the heat and the second half conditions were difficult but I thought over the two halves they played very well. It was a very difficult game for us but I was very pleased with that first game and the fitness levels."

The former Swansea manager, who arrived in Bangkok this time with a squad shorn of several bigname players including the departing Steven Gerrard, also had warm words for the hosts' side.

"I'd better not say one player because he will be linked with Liverpool! He would join the long list of players," Rodgers joked.

"I was impressed with their team. They played very well with good organisation. We played here a couple of years ago and I spoke to the manager then, and I spoke to him today after the game and told him his team played very well."

Rodgers' team already left for their next destination, Brisbane, Australia. While saying there were both pros and cons of travelling from places to places during the crucial preseason period, the Reds boss said he really appreciated his time in the country.

"There's always positives and negatives when you travel so far. I think for us we really focus on the positives. It's two weeks away, it's a long time together and you really get to know one another on the field and off the field during this tour, so we are really focused on that.

"Like I say we are maximising every minute of being together. Like I say it's not a chore to travel to Bangkok in Thailand then Australia and Kuala Lumpur. These are countries that really support us on a global stage and we are very honoured to travel to these countries.

"Just before we go I just want to say the kindness that we always receive from the people of Thailand always amazes us every time we come here, so on behalf of all the supporters, all of the football players and the staff, and obviously the journalists that have travelled from England, [we] thank you for your kindness and we really appreciate that," Rodgers said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/sports/Rodgers-says-a-big-thank-you-to-Thailand-30264505.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-16