Thai govt hard sell on submarine purchase

webfact

THE NAVY
Govt hard sell on submarine purchase

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Navy is trying to persuade the public to support its plan to purchase three submarines from China for Bt36 billion.

Navy commander in chief Admiral Kraisorn Chansuwanit said on Thursday that Thailand's maritime interests were estimated at Bt24 trillion, so the submarine purchase would be a fraction of that.

"It's the best worth [Thailand would get] for the money," he said, adding that the submarines would serve as the country's maritime "fences" for the next 30 years.

Thailand has a maritime area of over 300,000 square miles covering the Gulf of Thailand and the Andaman Sea.

He also disputed a claim that the Gulf of Thailand is too shallow for a submarine. "That's not true. The Navy has carefully studied the geographical environment," he said.

Earlier, Deputy Premier and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan postponed seeking Cabinet endorsement for the submarine purchase plan.

Prawit instructed the Navy to raise public awareness about the plan so that the public understood the need for the submarines.

That was why he had not yet submitted the purchase plan for Cabinet approval.

He said the Navy had not cancelled the purchase because it was part of the plan to improve the country's naval capability.

Kraisorn said he had assigned his deputy, Admiral Narongpol Na Bangchang, to inform the public and the media about the Navy's need to acquire submarines. A document would be issued about the worthiness of the submarines.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Govt-hard-sell-on-submarine-purchase-30264623.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-17

So the Navy reckons the subs will be operational for 30 years (wish I could now include a picture of those little men rolling around laughing) - only in your dreams Admiral. 30 years would be pushing it for a 1st worlds navy. Dear Mr Admiral, 10 years if you are very very very lucky.

Public support?? With the country gripped by drought, disruptions in the fishing industry, millions to tons of rice missing or rotting away, etc.

Sure the public will applaud the spending of 36 Billion Baht on some usless toys.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif "Navy commander in chief Admiral Kraisorn Chansuwanit said on Thursday that Thailand's maritime interests were estimated at Bt24 trillion, so the submarine purchase would be a fraction of that." Why do I feel like someone is trying to blow submarine bubbles up my Rrrr's!

30 years is possible if 2 are kept mothballed while one is in the water.....but I suspect after a few years they will only have one operational anyway!

adding that the submarines would serve as the country's maritime "fences" for the next 30 years.

And the shallow waters will make those maritime fences even easier to install.

"It's the best worth [Thailand would get] for the money," he said, adding that the submarines would serve as the country's maritime "fences" for the next 30 years.

Thailand has a maritime area of over 300,000 square miles covering the Gulf of Thailand and the Andaman Sea.

He also disputed a claim that the Gulf of Thailand is too shallow for a submarine. "That's not true. The Navy has carefully studied the geographical environment," he said.

I'm going to save this quote for when the first one runs aground.

I personally believe them as I'm sure the members of the long established Submarine Squadron have obtained all the necessary information when they were testing the depth dive capability of their desks.

Bring it on..can't wait. As long as some poor sailors don't die I can't wait for the 'comedy' to begin. 10 years.. The first one is not going to last 10 months from going to sea...as I've said before hope there thought out the rescue of men from a submerged sub...now there's a hub to be proud off..world leaders on rescuing crew from inoperable submarines.

Bring it on..can't wait. As long as some poor sailors don't die I can't wait for the 'comedy' to begin. 10 years.. The first one is not going to last 10 months from going to sea...as I've said before hope there thought out the rescue of men from a submerged sub...now there's a hub to be proud off..world leaders on rescuing crew from inoperable submarines.

You are so right especially about any unnecessary and unfortunate deaths but we can be sure if there's any incident and, perish the thought, a tragedy there will be no shortage of excuses produced and probably an economy with the truth.

You are so right especially about any unnecessary and unfortunate deaths but we can be sure if there's any incident and, perish the thought, a tragedy there will be no shortage of excuses produced and probably an economy with the truth.

Don't worry the only purpose of the submarines will be to welcome kids on Wan Dek (Children Day in January).

I posted on another OP the other day how I was watching UK forces TV and the commissioning of a new submarine. The UK has a great history of subs and the crew have been training on it for two years and only in the next week or two are heading to sea for the first time. God help the Thai submariners..subs are serious bits of kit..!! accident not waiting to happen but going to happen!

If they steer the sub anything like they drive their cars it will fix the fishing boat problems too - or maybe they will be used as target practice?

what a farce

Your right..your often hearing in the UK about fishing boats mysteriously being towed backwards or even sunk.. No one ever admits responsibility but it's generally accepted its subs maybe even Russian from time to time.

"The Navy is trying to persuade the public to support its plan to purchase three submarines from China for Bt36 billion."

Luckily the government consists of more than just the Navy, and is perhaps concerned at the understandable public-outcry, against the proposal.

There are plenty of other urgent needs for spending in Thailand, perhaps if the navy were to make a more-modest proposal for patrol-craft or drones, they might get a slice of the cake, rather than none at all ? wink.png

A Yahoo story says the purchase was put on hold so as not to jeopardize relations with the United States.

Not sure. I think everyone understands the folly of this purchase, including the U.S.

In the olden days this purchase might have breezed along. But the public response, owed in part to social media, has been scathing to the point where the entire Military's "mission" has been both called into question, and ridiculed.

Some Thai public forum posts I've seen quote the King's 2007 Birthday Address, where he directly questions the need for subs.

Apparently, the boys at the top have not learnt their lessons since buying an aircraft carrier that goes nowhere and, apparently, does nothing. Even the Harrier jets the government of the time purchased were a waste as they were out of date and no spare parts were available. At least they keep trying to convince a gullible public of the futility of their comments. Pity, because the public do not get the truth from the government and believe what they are told.

Dear Admirals, take a day off, take your teenage siblings to a shady spot in a park and ask them a simple question:

Which figures below do not match?

Gulf of Thailand

Surface area 320,000 km2 (120,000 sq mi)

Average depth 58 m (190 ft)

Max. depth 85 m (279 ft)

Type 039A (Yuan-class) hight 17.2 meters

Operating depth: 160 meters

"...Navy commander in chief Admiral Kraisorn Chansuwanit said on Thursday that Thailand's maritime interests were estimated at Bt24 trillion, so the submarine purchase would be a fraction of that..."

cheesy.gif 24 Trillion.

Nice try, but that reasoning doesn't hold water. wink.png

Specifics commander, give specifics.

Edited by oneday

Dear Admirals, take a day off, take your teenage siblings to a shady spot in a park and ask them a simple question:

Which figures below do not match?

Gulf of Thailand

Surface area 320,000 km2 (120,000 sq mi)

Average depth 58 m (190 ft)

Max. depth 85 m (279 ft)

Type 039A (Yuan-class) hight 17.2 meters

Operating depth: 160 meters

Actually the Andaman is very deep and the Yuan class can dive to 300 meters it was actually the best packaged offered and it can deploy cruise missiles to hit surface ships it uses German engines http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/china/yuan.htm and http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/china/yuan-specs.htm and http://war.163.com/15/0630/08/ATBHQFAQ00014OMD.html China Navy has ordered 20 Yuan class subs.

At least when the first one sinks (Somebody forgot to close the door properly?) the crew can all do an unassisted evacuation.