Thai politics: Water management has been neglected for too long

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Water management has been neglected for too long

SASITHORN ONGDEE

Bangkok: WHEN THE government said recently that "everyone must save water until rain comes in the middle of August", what did it really mean?

Did it mean that Thais should pray for the rain or is there something wrong in the way we manage our water resources?

Because of the severe drought, the Cabinet on Tuesday decided to reduce the water released from four major dams to 18 million cubic metres from 28 million cubic metres a day. But this will mean there will be no water for farmlands - including around 3.2 million rai (512,000 hectares) of rice fields in 22 provinces in the Chao Phraya River Basin.

In 2011, we encountered nationwide floods, which inflicted damage estimated at more than Bt100 billion. There were also conflicts between communities in neighbouring areas, especially when overseen by politicians from different political parties, in efforts to prevent their areas from flooding. Bangkok and its surrounding areas also experienced this kind of conflict.

Of course, Bangkok, as the capital, is always in the safe zone whenever there is a crisis.

This year's drought is partly caused by El Nino. However, our water-management methods leave a lot to be desired. There does not seem to be any well-managed plan to deal with the drought even though there were signs of such a possibility as early as last year.

Areas where the government has been lax in taking actions are releasing too much water from the dams, not seriously stopping rice farming by offering clear-cut compensation, not preparing enough artesian wells, and not dredging the canals and rivers.

The Prayut Chan-o-cha administration's recent suggestion to increase the number of wells in farmlands to 200,000 from 56,000 is a very good idea to store rainwater in the short term. This idea should be applied to farmlands all over the country, supported by local administrations in cooperation with the communities.

Actually, Thailand has many committees overseeing water management, especially in a crisis. Sadly, the water situation in the country remains poorly managed whether it is a flood situation or a drought.

Bangkok's residents are fortunate to get better treatment than citizens in other areas. But has the capital city's governor kept the people informed about the impact of the drought and how citizens could make a contribution by cutting their water consumption?

Up to now, many people in Bangkok have not changed their consumption habits except for flocking to superstores to buy up heaps of bottled drinking water.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra should do more than just convey to Bangkokians that there is no reason for them to panic or make assurances that they do not face a shortage of tap water, especially while thousands of people living outside the capital are facing a shortage of tap water.

All Thais, especially the people of Bangkok, should open their eyes to the reality that the drought is critical and there should be a campaign by the authorities on dos and don'ts to deal with the drought in daily life.

It is also important that water management be firmly placed on the national agenda and included in the country's master plan for economic and social development. If proper water management is achieved, it may not matter whether we pray for rain or not.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Water-management-has-been-neglected-for-too-long-30264619.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-17

Actually, Thailand has many committees overseeing water management, especially in a crisis. Sadly, the water situation in the country remains poorly managed whether it is a flood situation or a drought.

Poorly managed? Who can control world climate change? Al Gore? Everyone wants a piece of the action and blame this and that, this is a world wide crisis not just effecting Thailand. Stop the blame and go green.

Poorly managed? Who can control world climate change? Al Gore? Everyone wants a piece of the action and blame this and that, this is a world wide crisis not just effecting Thailand. Stop the blame and go green.

Go green. Conserve energy. Use the sun. Thailand is equatorial for gods sake... and yet the prevalence of solar anything is tiny. There are taxes and incentives in place to stimulate the industry/ideology but the lazy ar$e good for nothing corrupt punk officials want nothing of them. Why save power? why save money? why save the burden, why go green? "I don't get any kickbacks if you go grid connected". They hide them away and know nothing of them. They are lazy, 'tupid and don't care. Just the usual problem. coffee1.gif </RANT>

"WHEN THE government said recently that "everyone must save water until rain comes in the middle of August", what did it really mean?

Did it mean that Thais should pray for the rain or is there something wrong in the way we manage our water resources?"

This is truly horrible journalism.

The statement is specific, the implications behind the intended statement are poorly contrived. Who mentioned praying?

Sure Thailand might manage water resources better, but then this is a tropical climate where by sheer definition the weather is extremely hot and wet and unpredictable.

This doesn't absolve the government of their responsibilities but this article is an exercise in finger pointing, there are no solutions proposed.

Sure Bangkok, the greatest populated metropolitan area in the country has better infrastructure. But every country in the world has the same issues.

Pointless article.

Go green. Conserve energy. Use the sun. Thailand is equatorial for gods sake... and yet the prevalence of solar anything is tiny. There are taxes and incentives in place to stimulate the industry/ideology but the lazy ar$e good for nothing corrupt punk officials want nothing of them. Why save power? why save money? why save the burden, why go green? "I don't get any kickbacks if you go grid connected". They hide them away and know nothing of them. They are lazy, 'tupid and don't care. Just the usual problem. coffee1.gif </RANT>

AMEN.

This is why Thailand will continue its downward spiral into complete and utter uselessness. Who suffers? Those w/out power/money or "prestige" i.e. the average Thai citizen.

I really hope Kharma comes quickly to those who always, and only think of themselves e.g. me me me mentality. I wish they feel utter SHAME for generations.

"...Water management has been neglected for too long..."

No, say it ain't so. Why just the other day the water department denied any mismanagement.

OK, let's call it lack of planning...nah, it's mismanagement for sure.

Thai's are always giving land to the government for many uses such as future schools that are never built or other uses. I am no expert, but why not use some of these local lands to create large ponds for storage in times of droughts. You might be able to avoid building large disruptive dams. Yes, the land would have to be of the right type to hold the water, but there is a lot of land like that. It's just ONE idea.

Several years back after BKK had some good floods I seem to recall billions were thrown at "water management" (anyone help me on that one). After all the money was spent, seems 5% of budget went for actual flood/water control and rest lined pockets or fixed buildings that had been flooded. They may want to do something, but corruption so rife little to nothing gets to target.....

Water Management has been neglected, never a truer word said , over two decades there's been plenty of talking and nothing being done, Thailand is far too busy having Coups , Changing governments Amnesty's , ordering up high Speed rail systems and Submarines, when the critical infrastructure is falling apart at the seams , too many heads of Departments are yes men and are too anxious to please their masters , telling them what they want to hear not what they should be hearing, well now the roosters have come home to roost , this and other crumbling infrastructures need good management and financial skills to right a sinking ship, it is doubtful if things will reverse until Thailand runs out of bottled water, then Thailand will be a third world country , Don't worry about the people , what will the tourists think , only TAT can answer that. bah.gif

just more dog and poney show.

there can not be a water shortage, the river is still full with garbage.

to say there is a water shortage means some one will have to admit they were too busy spending the money from all the brown bags that were collected instead of water management programs.

here is an idea set up communal shower areas at soi cowboy, nana plaza and patong. just think how that will improve the tourist interest and improve the gdb!!! have a happy hour all night!!!

ignore it and it should go away, the Thai. way

what water shortage??

There are droughts all over the world this year. I would not support the theory that Water Management is the cause of all of them. Your view that people should not be buying bottled water conveys your hidden message that you don't like plastic. People will still consume water as needed, and as far as every animal on earth, they all need to drink water to survive.

I would agree that there are areas that do not support good water management. California certainly restricts water usage in many forms, and has for well over 30 years. However, the environmentalists will not allow new damns to be built to store the trillions upon trillions of gallons of water that flow into the ocean daily. There is just as much water in our solar system today as when the solar system was developed. We learned in the early 20th century that damns need to be built to store water, which hasn't been done in over 60 years, and the water problem will continue. Common sense says to save a snail darter, we should go through this exercise every year of not having water when we need it, and bitch about bottles of water. I don't follow your reasoning. It is only a problem when we stop building damns. Let the Army Corp of engineers go back to what they did best.

Anything becomes an issue when politicians "manage" things for political and personal gain.

The comments about rival politicians vying and manipulating to prevent their patch from being flooded in 2011 is a good example. They are only interested in how things can benefit or affect themselves. Sod the big picture, no profit in that. Add in the usual ubiquitous Thai ingredient of graft and you get an inefficient and ineffective mess.

For all the huffing and puffing, expenditure and budget creating, what did PTP actually achieve in the years after the flood? About the same as previous governments. Money spent with not a lot to show. They also wanted to implement schemes without carrying out the proper assessments or wishing to explain them. That's not suggesting they were unique but using them as an example. Ministers appointed through nepotism, committee members appointed through cronyism, and suppliers "selected" on what basis we can only guess, no EIA or real public consultations.

Any surprises there's no real management?

Anybody recall several years ago when 'less' water was released over the dams spillways ? Then the dams were not big enough to hold back the water from the August rains ? Flooding for months, even in Bangkok and its industrial estates! You just got to wonder if it is gonna happen again. TIT

My company is primarily involved with water management in regards to flood prevention and protection. I started this company following the 2011 floods in Thailand. Yes, a budget was proposed and Cabinet approved by Yingluck gov't and recommendations and proposals presented at great expense by Korea, Japan, Holland and other internationally accredited organizations. The budget was about $12 Billion USD.

THERE WERE MANY THINGS WHICH WENT WRONG: 1) there were hearings of the Locals who would be affected by building new dams, canals, etc. many people got up in arms that it would affect their local fishing and destroy a portion of a national park to construct one dam. The gov't tried to force the locals to accept their plan with great resistance. 2) the Yingluck gov't fell and the coup people took over. All bets were off then.

Finally the coup gov't approved a water management plan almost EXACTLY as the Yingluck gov't came up with, aside from minor changes.

As far as my information is concerned, not 5% of any budget has been spent on this "approved" water management project. Sarcastically but I suspect coup gov't more interested in "attitude adjustments" than water management. Now with the draught, who cares about floods? Next year it will be all about flood prevention and nobody thinking about draughts

This is Thailand and everyone thinks about today and never plans for the future. However, I still love it here.

There are solar power plants in Thailand. The reason solar power isn't used extensively is that it is still very expensive to buy solar panels. The damns and reservoir are the jewels of Thailand and Thais are very proud of them. The rain making technology is again the nations pride and being that Thailand is an agricultural giant, I'm sure water management is top priority in the government's manifest. What Thailand needs is to educate the younger generation on water management as they will one day inherits the land and new ideas on water conservation and reuseable clean energy might be thought of and implemented. Yes I sound like some preaching know it all, but that's my idea.

As i ride through the villages of the North i see dozens of leaking blue plastic water pipes all over the place on a daily basis. I've even mentioned it to village leaders, house owners and farmers over the last five years or so and my comments are completely ignored.

Only when the water runs out completely will they all sit and point fingers at each other whilst 'demanding' compensation from the Government for poor management of water supplies. They are their own worst enemies.

Same story over and over again.......yet nothing much is done to change the inevitable shortages of water that will occur by way of an ever growing population and the demands on the water resources.

What to do....what to do???

Cheers