Crime: Hua Hin vs. Pattaya

TIMMMMM

I've never lived in Pattaya so can't comment about there but I do live in Hua Hin.

Generally speaking Hua HIn is pretty quiet really. Are there Thai/Russian mafia in Hua Hin? Probably. Isn't there Thai mafia in every town in Thailand?

As for crimes such as burglary/robberies/assaults or other crimes against expats, I rarely hear of anything like this in Hua Hin, compared to Pattaya where I seem to read about this kind of thing happening frequently.

But that doesn't mean to say it doesn't go on in HH.

That said, HH is pretty different to Pattaya.

As for a seedy side to HH, there isn't one really. About as seedy as it gets is Soi Bintabaht, which isn't all that seedy really, just your regular girly bars.

Edited by pinkpanther99

Hello,

If I compare the various facts in Pattaya or Jomtien, where it does not go a day without aggression or a guy who made a dive from the top of her condo, Hua Hin is far from that.

But that does not prevent theft of motorcycles in the apartments, and some attacks.

Now, and this is my point of view, if farangs avoided coming to this city, showing them money all the girls to attract them, it could be a very nice city.

Plenty of crime in HH which goes unreported however nowhere near as much as Pattaya

Street crime does happen here, Burglarys are pretty common as is sneak thieves, entering through a open door when the owner is inside, I have been a victim of this myself and other people I know have to

Hello,
If I compare the various facts in Pattaya or Jomtien, where it does not go a day without aggression or a guy who made a dive from the top of her condo, Hua Hin is far from that.
But that does not prevent theft of motorcycles in the apartments, and some attacks.
Now, and this is my point of view, if farangs avoided coming to this city, showing them money all the girls to attract them, it could be a very nice city.

If Farangs avoided coming to this city"

What a silly statement, I assume you are a Farang? So by your own statement you should not be here yourself

HH has expanded because of Farangs coming here, it would still be a sleepy fishing town if they didn't

As for "showing the girls money" this happens on maybe 5-10 Sois in HH, it does not really affect the whole town

Not everythere in Thailand people are targeted in their own homes. Sounds like the crime is in HH. On a smaller scale compared to Pattaya. It's not a safe destination for retirement. I will have a closer look at CM then.

Please read the phrase entirely, stupid Neanderthal man
keywords: farangs, money, girls.
It takes a little thinking. whistling.gif

No it doesn't take a little thinking

If you want your posts to be read in the way you write them then improve your grammar, Commas and Full Stops are a hint here

I have no doubt there are many mistakes and missing punctuation.

I owe it to my friend google.

I have no doubt that this may horrify you, I'm just as much when I read a text in my native language, full of mistakes.

I mastered French, Italian and Arabic. But that is forbidden on this forum.

So I do my best.

By cons, can not control your messages "in English," since any language is translated systematically sent me in my mother tongue, I hope you make no mistake.

On this, as there are more serious situations to manage than this one, I leave you to your corrections facepalm.gif and wish you a good weekend.

Sigh

How on earth can you say the place would be better if Farangs were not here when you are a Farang and here yourself?

What a silly comment

I think what he means is that pattaya would be a much nicer place without all the low life Farangs

It was lovely in the sixties without all the tourists and GI's. A weekend retreat for expats and Thais who worked in Bangkok and the diplomatic corps. None of the bars with prostitutes like to.day.

Not everythere in Thailand people are targeted in their own homes. Sounds like the crime is in HH. On a smaller scale compared to Pattaya. It's not a safe destination for retirement. I will have a closer look at CM then.

Come on Tim, your generalizations are silly. Anyone can conjure a negative story about any place. HH is safer b/c the element of the nitelife is not so present, and this does not bring the unsavoury. Yes, they probably have crime, like most cities. If going to CM, you'll need a gas mask during the burning season.

I live in a large condo complex in Hua Hin and there are quite a few Russians here. Now this is where it gets interesting. Most of the Russians are young families where the wife and kids remain in HH and enjoy the quiet/safe life whilst the husbands run businesses in either Bangkok or Pattaya, and generally come home to HH on weekends. Not sure what sort of message that sends out, and as I've never been to Pattaya, I can't really comment on the crime rate etc. But having been ex Police for quite a few years and having spoke to a few Police and other expats here in HH, crime here is probably comparable with any city around the world of the same population. Nothing too serious from what I can gather, but it is certainly not crime free. Pattaya does attract a different crowd for differing reasons, with a huge night life compared to sleepy old HH, so it is like comparing apples to oranges in my opinion....

If you were to compare seedy side of Pattaya with Hua Hin where would it stand? Are there Thai / Russian thugs / mafia in Hua Hin. I’ve heard they used to be there. What about now?

all Russians are thugs? You could always retire in Florida grandpa.

I've never lived in Pattaya so can't comment about there but I do live in Hua Hin.

Generally speaking Hua HIn is pretty quiet really. Are there Thai/Russian mafia in Hua Hin? Probably. Isn't there Thai mafia in every town in Thailand?

As for crimes such as burglary/robberies/assaults or other crimes against expats, I rarely hear of anything like this in Hua Hin, compared to Pattaya where I seem to read about this kind of thing happening frequently.

But that doesn't mean to say it doesn't go on in HH.

That said, HH is pretty different to Pattaya.

As for a seedy side to HH, there isn't one really. About as seedy as it gets is Soi Bintabaht, which isn't all that seedy really, just your regular girly bars.

You would have to redefine the saying of "comparing apples to oranges" to compare any part of Pattaya with Hua Hin.

Pinkpanther99 has put it about as definitively as one can put it.

Hua Hin is quite a quiet little place (comparatively speaking). To find trouble, you would have to go looking for it.

I have lived in both places. Would pick Pattaya/Jomtien anyday. In Pattaya it makes sense to be wary of certain types of people or areas at certain times. In Hua Hin it kind of lulls one into a false sense of security.....All I can say is that in either place you need to be on the alert for scam artists and thieves.

Wife and I live in CM - not exactly hub of safety here either, dont think you will find that anywhere in Thailand ...

We live in a condo cause Thai wife feel more safe with that since she talked to thais that live in MooBaan and there is many Break&Entering there - Dont think its worse in CM with crime than many other Places tho ... Personally I´m more concerned about the traffic - I have NEVER seen such idiotic and dangerous driving as here in CM - really dangerous !

As has been said already, every town has it's share of villains. I've lived at Hua Hin and Pattaya, liking

them both for different reasons.

My view of Pattaya is however that crimes are frequently of a more violent nature.

Also moving to Chiang Mai you'll lose the seaside atmosphere. Have a look at JC retire cheap to asia on

youtube, he covers everything you've mentioned.

Plenty of crime in HH which goes unreported however nowhere near as much as Pattaya

Street crime does happen here, Burglarys are pretty common as is sneak thieves, entering through a open door when the owner is inside, I have been a victim of this myself and other people I know have to

How would you know how much crime is "unreported"?

With all due respect to my fellow tv.com members who choose to live in Pattaya:

I lived in Bang Saray (20km south of Pattaya) for about 1 year, and had to do most of my shopping and errands in Pattaya. I found most of Pattaya ... but not all ... to have very dirty air, way too much ambient noise, and the traffic is terrible.

After realizing I had made a big mistake by buying and living so near Pattaya, I spent about 8 months researching for a new home in Krabi, Phuket, Chang Mai and Hua Hin. I finally decided to buy a new home in Hua Hin and I am so glad I did. My life is so much nicer here in Hua Hin that it ever was in Pattaya area.

Traffic in Hua Hin is soooo much better than in Pattaya. Yes, it can get a bit busy on weekends ... and especially holidays ... but even at it's worst it's like Pattaya at its best. In fact, when living in Bang Saray I found myself dreading the Pattaya traffic so much that I'd go out much less than I really wanted to. I didn't retire in order to stress out in bumper to bumper traffic and rude drivers.

Also, Hua Hin is much cleaner and generally appears less run down.

As for robberies, murders, suicides, gold snatching, lady-boy assaults, brawls, drunkenness, etc.: I have no statistics, but based upon the amount of reports in English-language news sources (e.g., tv.com, Bangkok Post, Nation, etc.) I read many many more such reports from Pattaya than I do from Hua Hin. In fact, such reports in Hua Hin are somewhat rare. Sure there's crime in Hua Hin, but very little. Also ... again generally speaking ... I find the people in Hua Hin are nicer and more respectful of me and each other.

As to the sleaze factor: There's no where near the amount of sex business in Hua Hin as Pattaya, but it's ample (minus ping pong shows) ... and it's less expensive.

I've been a regular visitor to Thailand for 35 years and a resident for 5, and I find Hua Hin to be the cleanest and nicest "city" in Thailand. I think perhaps a chief reason for this is because it's the main residence of the king and queen.

Anyway, to each his/her own. But I choose Hua Hin.

Hello,

If farangs had avoided coming to Pattaya over the years there wouldn't have been a Pattaya City as you know it in the first place.

Dirtycash: you only need to experience it once to understand why....

HH key selling point is clean air compared to CM or Pattaya. Safety wise .... looks like even BKK is safer.

Are you saying that BKK is safer than HH ... or Pattaya?

Edited by HerbalEd