Visa extension based on marriage at Jomtien - witnesses needed

My extension based on marriage to my Thai wife expires on 30th August. As usual I will attend Jomtien Immigration on 5th August with all the relevant paperwork and use the 400k Baht method for the extension. I always check to see what 'new hoops' have been introduced by our chums at immigration since the last time I was there.

This year it seems some bright upcoming official has decided that people like me, married to a Thai and having no children, will need a witness.

We have been married 13 years and live at the same address in Pattaya, but it seems we will still need a witness - is that correct?

Not any old witness, but a Poo Ban no less.

I won't be doing that. I have fitted in with all the other daft changes over the years, but this is just too much of an intrusion into my personal life - if it were a friend I could take along it would be 'doable' - but not a stranger!

If that is the case, as I am 61, I can get a retirement extension.

Now this is where I could really do with some help.

I will arrive at immigration on 5th August. If I don't need a witness all well and good I will do the extension based on Thai wife as usual.

If I do need a witness, then I will revert to a retirement extension.

I have 400K baht in the bank.

I have a pension from the UK that I could get the paperwork for from the British Embassy to prove it provides income of about 200k Baht.

I would then need to send over another 200k Baht from the UK.

Does that sound like a workable method?

Now there is a problem as the money would have to be seasoned.

Can any expert here please advise me if there is a way I can extend my current extension when I go down there on the 5th August to gain enough time to season this additional money and do the retirement extension?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by dsfbrit

I think the witness may be asked for on a case by case basis. I think I would go in without one and see what they say.

Being married for 13 years should be more than enough proof yours is a real marriage and not one of convenience.

I don't recall reading a post that it had to be the village head as the witness.

When you do combination of money in the bank and income totaling 800k baht the money just has to be in the bank on the date you apply (no 60 for 90 days)..

When I still lived in Pattaya and did my extension there, the witness requirement was that the person must live in Pattaya and has a House Book with an address in Pattaya, and most important, the witness must NOT be related to you or your wife.

I used my "handy man" who was also a Volunteer Police Officer.

I did my 6th renewal last month. We took a witness. I asked the usual lady if she wanted to speak with him, and she asked why I had brought him. I explained that I understood that a witness was now needed, and we had, in fact, phoned to ask, and were told that a witness was necessary. She told me that, as we have been married for 6 years, had a "blue book" with both of our names in it, a witness wasn't necessary !

I would go for the extension as early as possible ( 30 days before it expires ?), and see what happens. If they insist on a witness, you have a month to arrange it.

UbonJoe and Mjcm, thanks for the quick replies.

Ubonjoe, I did not realise that if I did the pension letter combination, then I could send over the additional funds anytime before the current extension expires - so I can go there on the 5th and if I have problems then I have 25 days to get the 200K baht transferred from the UK and get the letter from the British Embassy. That is good to know. Thanks.

MJCM, are you sure that is the case now? As you know, things change quite often in the immigration rules and regulations arena I find! You could be right, but I have been reading various posts on this forum and the Pattaya forum saying there is a specific 'type' of person that is required as a witness. I cannot reference these threads as I have just trawled around in an ad-hoc manner trying to understand what is going on.

Edited by dsfbrit

Tony M, thanks for the information.

We have a house via the company route, so I am not on the blue book.

My extension lapses on the 30th and I am going down there on the 5th, so as Ubonjoe pointed out I have enough time to change to a retirement extension if needed as the 800K would be a combination of pension and cash.

Who was the witness you took along, was it a farang friend or did they want a particular 'type' of witness?

Edited by dsfbrit

@dsfbrit

I found the topic for you

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/804312-changes-to-married-to-thai-visa-extensions-at-jomtien-immigration/page-2#entry9419757

And according to this (it seems) that you can take any witness as long they have an Tabien Baan with a Pattaya address, but as you said, the rules might have changed and good luck finding a Pooyai Baan to go with you and more importantly one that knows you both.

Good Luck

Edit: question, wasn't a Pheun Baan you need ? So a neighbour or a friend of the family ? The reason why I ask is because in a big city like Pattaya it will be very hard to find a pooyaii baan to go with you. Maybe worth asking ?

Edited by MJCM

Why would be that illegal? Visa agent services must be legal, they are advertised all over the town. Standard service for a mutually agreed fee, nothing illegal in here (you still have to meet the requirements like money in your account, etc.). Just do not have to bother dealing with the immigration, etc. Japanese business men do it this way only, I often see an agent coming with a stack of Japanese passports.

Why would be that illegal? Visa agent services must be legal, they are advertised all over the town. Standard service for a mutually agreed fee, nothing illegal in here (you still have to meet the requirements like money in your account, etc.). Just do not have to bother dealing with the immigration, etc. Japanese business men do it this way only, I often see an agent coming with a stack of Japanese passports.

If the s..t hits the fan and there is a crackdown on this, guess who will take the fall ? And I don't think the agent will then protecting his clients ;)

But YMMV

Edited by MJCM

MJCM, thanks for that thread. I actually commented on that thread back in February, so did you it appears. I think it was that thread that made me think I must check out what is going on with this nearer the time of my renewal in August.

MJCM, thanks for that thread. I actually commented on that thread back in February, so did you it appears. I think it was that thread that made me think I must check out what is going on with this nearer the time of my renewal in August.

No problem, back then I was still living in Pattaya but not anymore and I have moved to an area with an even more difficult immigration, so my extension days are over and I just went with my wife to Laos and got a Multiple Entry Non-O with no hassle. But this one suits us also as we are frequent travellers and leaving every 90 day is no major issue for us ;)

If I have to do the witness 'thing' then I won't bother with the extension based on marriage. I will change to the extension based on retirement. Ubonjoe above says I don't need to season the money if it is combined with a pension, so I will have time to do that and get away from this increasingly problematical extension based on marriage.

If I have to do the witness 'thing' then I won't bother with the extension based on marriage. I will change to the extension based on retirement. Ubonjoe above says I don't need to season the money if it is combined with a pension, so I will have time to do that and get away from this increasingly problematical extension based on marriage.

Good idea, but I am still too young to do that ;)

An alternative could be (same as I did) if you both like to travel go get a Multiple Entry Non-O in Savannakhet Laos with not much hassle, and must certainly not difficult;)

MJCM I hate going to immigration, even for the 90 day report - just hate it - I would rather go to the dentist !

Did you try online reporting, or what about sending a good old letter?

Good advice about the online report, but to the best of my Knowledge (I could be wrong ;)) Pattaya doesn't accept Mail-In reports.

gdaya ,

i can confirm the ops post, a witness with pattaya house book is requested along with id copies and two pictures.it applies to childless marriages.

well i did my extension of stay on the 7 th of july walked in at 13.00 hours and out 13.29 hours, passport stamped. in this respect i wish to appraise the very kind, professional and supportive procedure by the two immegration female offiicers lieutenant and senior sergeant at counter 6.

so mote it be

roobaa01

Tony M, thanks for the information.

We have a house via the company route, so I am not on the blue book.

My extension lapses on the 30th and I am going down there on the 5th, so as Ubonjoe pointed out I have enough time to change to a retirement extension if needed as the 800K would be a combination of pension and cash.

Who was the witness you took along, was it a farang friend or did they want a particular 'type' of witness?

When we phoned, they said it could be anyone who has a Pattaya address ( confirmed by house book and ID card), and 2 photos of him/her ( one inside the condo with us, and one showing him, and us, and the condo number).

Edited by Tony M

There are, however, reports on here of some offices incorrectly insisting on the bank balance element of the "combo" funding method for retirement extensions being seasoned for 3 months. By way of an example see http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/752971-retirement-visa-combination-of-pension-money-in-bank-account/

Don't know whether Jomtien are one of these offices, though. EDIT: Jingthing's report at post #15 in my "example" thread would appear to indicate that they probably are not. Also petermjeffrey's report at post #39.

Edited by OJAS

I did my 6th renewal last month. We took a witness. I asked the usual lady if she wanted to speak with him, and she asked why I had brought him. I explained that I understood that a witness was now needed, and we had, in fact, phoned to ask, and were told that a witness was necessary. She told me that, as we have been married for 6 years, had a "blue book" with both of our names in it, a witness wasn't necessary !

I would go for the extension as early as possible ( 30 days before it expires ?), and see what happens. If they insist on a witness, you have a month to arrange it.

A bit off topic but when was it possible for a foreigner to have his name included in the tabien baan? I have been told by officials on several occasions that this is not possible so have applied for a yellow house book.

Thanks for all the replies.

falang07 - I have seen those adverts all over the place as well. As most of the people (?) who apply for this service don't have sufficient funds to obtain the retirement extension the 'normal' route, I think it would be safe to assume they are paying the agency 12k-25k for a service that is not 100 percent legal. I remember there used to be adverts everywhere that said 'Yes - you can stay long term in Thailand - just get a Student Visa' - they even had one of these adverts outside the Jomtien Immigration Office. No wonder that has been clamped down on.

Namplik - There is no mail facility unfortunately.

roobaa01 - Can it be a farang ? To be honest, I have had enough now of jumping through hoops for this marriage extension. I have had daft rule changes for the last 13 years. As more people now seem to be using sham marriages to get around the recent visa/visa run crackdowns I suspect next year they will want me to do some other daft activity - maybe make my wife and me argue in the office about money - now that really WOULD prove we are married;)

UbonJoe - Now you have explained to me that I can go there on the 5th August without a witness and get rejected (maybe) and still have time to get the letter from the British Embassy proving my pension/ and send money over from the UK to extend based on retirement - then I will do that.

Thanks for all your help - as usual the posters on TV have solved my problem - I often wonder how I would survive the immigration rules over here without TV!!!

• Like 1

When I still lived in Pattaya and did my extension there, the witness requirement was that the person must live in Pattaya and has a House Book with an address in Pattaya, and most important, the witness must NOT be related to you or your wife.

That was not what happened to me this year in May, my witness at Jonthien was my wife's aunt which was excepted without question,there was no mention of being related being a problem, i believe the main criteria needed is they have to live in the same vicinity, and have a housebook and quesions asked of her were how long she had known us what relationship and how long we had been married.

Maxc

@dsfbrit

i have been married for 20 yrs, being 59, my wife also, no children.

yes you can take a farang witness with the yellow housebook registered in pattaya but more trustworthy to the immi would be a thai person

of reputation. i went with our neighbor, she is a bank manageress.

cheers roobaa01

What a lot of rubbish these requirements are. Married for 13 years and need a witness for goodness sake. !! I have a LIFETIME Resident Retirement visa for six years, never visited Immigration, never reported in anywhere, never got an re-entry permit..........

...of course this is in the Philippines not in xenophobic Thailand. I only get TR to come here now, can't be bothered with all their BS.

That was not what happened to me this year in May, my witness at Jonthien was my wife's aunt which was excepted without question,there was no mention of being related being a problem, i believe the main criteria needed is they have to live in the same vicinity, and have a housebook and quesions asked of her were how long she had known us what relationship and how long we had been married.

Maxc

Up 2 u, but my wife specifically asked if we could bring our niece and the women said to her "No Family allowed". You could try but better is to find someone in the neighbourhood or a friend of the family.

But then again YMMV

MJCM I hate going to immigration, even for the 90 day report - just hate it - I would rather go to the dentist !

Did you try online reporting, or what about sending a good old letter?

My extension based on marriage !!!! please catch up