Annoying page when opening ThaiVisa

dddave

Recently, when I open my CHROME browser and click on the ThaiVisa thumbnail, I get this annoying page:

"It works!

This is the default web page for this server.

The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet."

If I type www.thaivisa.com into the browser bar, the site comes up no problem.

<deleted>??

Does the tech industry run secret institutes that develop and teach opaque linguistics:??........ "How To Write Meaningless Text Boxes That No Person Can Possibly Understand."

Check the site that your thumbnail / shortcut links to is actually the one you want to access.

This is what is on the browser bar when I open the thumbnail:

"http://news.thaivisa.com/?utm_source=ThaivisaHome&utm_medium=Redirect&utm_campaign=ThaivisaNews"

That link goes to ThaiVisa news for me, I wonder where your server holding page is coming from.

Quite likely:

the page actually comes from thaivisa's Apache webserver software.

Its a well known default message for newly setup web servers with Apache SW.

BUT!

How one gets to this page is not quite clear for me.

Usually this message comes when some redirection on the server does not work.

E.g. if you type this in your address bar:

thaivisa.com

then you will automatically end up at:

www.thaivisa.com/

@dddave: I suspect you have some "internet protection" SW on your Chrome browser or PC that prevents this automatic redirection.

Do you actually see "thaivisa.com" in your address bar when this text is displayed?

I think this thread could easily be answered by forum support.

(I am not certain whether "redirect" is the correct wording for the behavior)

Edited by KhunBENQ

Check the site that your thumbnail / shortcut links to is actually the one you want to access.

This is what is on the browser bar when I open the thumbnail:

"http://news.thaivisa.com/?utm_source=ThaivisaHome&utm_medium=Redirect&utm_campaign=ThaivisaNews"

Are you running any extensions. If so, try disabling them and connect to the news.thaivisa.com url again.

I suggest you delete the current thumbnail (hover and wait for an 'X' to appear in the top right).

When I examine the thaivisa html, I find only the root domain thaivisa.com containing a 301 redirect to www.thaivisa.com.

The other subdomains deliver the proper web data, and I could find no thaivisa domain page that displays the message: "default web page for this server."

If this issue persists, I highly suggests you check what DNS settings your computer is utilizing. If your computer is not utilizing the default ISP DNS, Google Public DNS, or your specifcally designated DNS Server then it's possible your page requests are being misdirected.

RC...I actually know my default DNS are OK because I had just checked them following your instructions per your request on another topic regarding hijacked Default DNS. Not running any extensions I know of.

Crossy:

When I copied and pasted the browser address when I had that window and tried to post it, board software changed it, eliminating some numbers and letters so I'm not surprised you got what you are supposed to get when you clicked on it.

I will delete the thumbnail. I use 2 laptops and it only happens on one of them.

Edited by dddave

RC...I actually know my default DNS are OK because I had just checked them following your instructions per your request on another topic regarding hijacked Default DNS. Not running any extensions I know of.

Crossy:

When I copied and pasted the browser address when I had that window and tried to post it, board software changed it, eliminating some numbers and letters so I'm not surprised you got what you are supposed to get when you clicked on it.

I will delete the thumbnail. I use 2 laptops and it only happens on one of them.

Thanks for checking.

Do you still get the odd server page when you visit the naked news.thaivisa.com ?

Interesting it only happens on one laptop ... as that means one PC is doing something the other isn't.

Anything from the browser, browser extension, javascript, malware code, antivirus, security suite, hosts file, pc DNS settings, proxy/vpn, ARP/DNS cache, virtual adapter, network driver is redirecting.

If ThaiVisa is changing your pasted code, use the CODE <> feature (located next to Quote feature) and paste your url string there.

And try running cmd on both PCs and do a ping news.thaivisa.com and post the IP Address each one gives you.