More CCTV cameras could solve Pattaya traffic problems, district chief says

Rimmer

More CCTV cameras could solve Pattaya traffic problems, district chief says

n16City.jpg

PATTAYA:--Even though only 10 percent of the 1,400 closed-circuit television cameras in Pattaya actually work, Banglamung’s district chief says more should be installed to solve chronic traffic problems.

Speaking at a July 7 brainstorming meeting to address the city’s illegal parking problem, Chakorn Kanjawattana said technology could solve a problem that police and regulation has failed at.

“Although the government has established road regulations and designated stopping areas, it is obviously not enough to put a stop to these traffic violators,” Chakorn said. “Orders were once given to police officers to lock the tires of all vehicles parking in restricted areas, but that has become a problem as well, due to the lack of officers and them being kind to people.

“If officers are not enough, then technology would be the best bet. More cameras should be installed throughout Pattaya Beach Road and other roads where traffic regulations are often violated. If anybody is spotted parking in restricted areas or violating traffic rules, the footage will be sent to the police to check the license plate of the vehicle and send a letter to the home of the owner of the vehicle.”

He said the land transport office could also be contacted to have a license revoked for chronic offenders.

Pattaya City Councilman Sanit Boonmachai said CCTV cameras likely would be effective, but rather than pay for new cameras to be installed, the better solution would be to fix and properly maintain the cameras the city already has. About 1,260 of the 1,400 installed cameras in the city are broken, he said.

He noted there currently is no budget for repair work.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/more-cctv-cameras-could-solve-pattaya-traffic-problems-district-chief-says-48999#sthash.C4fXo8dp.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-07-17 footer_n.gif

90% of CCTV cameras are broken ?

How can a CCTV camera break ?

Yet Pattaya City wish to install more cheesy.gif to address congestion and illegal parking.

Some months back I saw a photo-shoot of the Police with "Big-Wigs" on Pattaya Beach Rd showing clamping of illegal parkers. Many proud and smiling faces. Whatever happened to that "crack-down ?

Every project I see done in Pattaya City is 1/2 done at best, and no projects are ever "seen-through" to completion.

The "Pattaya-Bashers" are not TV members ..... the "Bashers" are the City planners.

What is it that Pattaya finds so hard about employing more police and making sure that they clamp/tow illegal vehicles as soon as they spot them?

Enforcing parking rules should be a huge money-spinner for the municipality.

Yet Pattaya City wish to install more cheesy.gif to address congestion and illegal parking.

Some months back I saw a photo-shoot of the Police with "Big-Wigs" on Pattaya Beach Rd showing clamping of illegal parkers. Many proud and smiling faces. Whatever happened to that "crack-down ?

Every project I see done in Pattaya City is 1/2 done at best, and no projects are ever "seen-through" to completion.

The "Pattaya-Bashers" are not TV members ..... the "Bashers" are the City planners.

My sentiments exactly. Who on earth would suggest buying more cameras instead of repairing the old ones??? It boggles the mind!

Moreover, there's not a lot can go wrong with a camera. There are a limited number of moving parts, and there's very little maintenance required. It just sounds like another attempt to misappropriate funds. About right, yeah?

Edited by Oil Baron

You are giving far, far too much credit by saying they are "1/2 done at best".

My sentiments exactly. Who on earth would suggest buying more cameras instead of repairing the old ones??? It boggles the mind!

Moreover, there's not a lot can go wrong with a camera. There are a limited number of moving parts, and there's very little maintenance required. It just sounds like another attempt to misappropriate funds. About right, yeah?

I suspect that the truth is that the cameras are fine but the cabling/networking or monitoring system has fallen apart and no one on the payroll knows how to fix it, and to admit that they dont know would make them "lose face" (or, in English, show them up for the idiots they are).

Similar problems all the time with the CCTV and other technology (keycard access systems, PCs etc) in my building. The management clowns know how to buy expensive new things but dont have the faintest idea how to use the equipment or to reset it when needed. They generally lose the instruction books or CD manuals (if indeed they were ever supplied) and if they have one they seem to be totally incapable of reading it even if it's written in Thai.

Forget more CCTV cameras.
Get police out there stopping and fining all traffic violators THS500 on the spot with a genuine receipt for any offence.
Take half the money and use it to employ more traffic police with the surplus legally going into whatever slush fund they want.

Problem solved.

Forget more CCTV cameras.

Get police out there stopping and fining all traffic violators THS500 on the spot with a genuine receipt for any offence.

Take half the money and use it to employ more traffic police with the surplus legally going into whatever slush fund they want.

Problem solved.

totally agree .thumbsup.gif

This would work, the rest of the ideas wont.

500 is affordable , and will hurt enough but not break the bank completely. thumbsup.gif

Ps

You could bump it to 700 maybe ?

Edited by onemorechang

Wait a minute...

i smell a big expenses claim in the wind.

Whats a top quality CCTV camera worth these days?

Call it 10k per, substitute top quality for Chinese quality + fitting and maintenance - that'll go some way to covering the shortfall since the crackdown on corruption.

that has become a problem as well, due to the lack of officers and them being kind to people....If officers are not enough, then technology would be the best bet."

Unless there is Artificial Intelligence in the CCTV units I doubt they can express or show being kind to people.

Best continuing police and forget law enforcement.

So, an anonymous CCTV camera catches a car wrongly parked, records the number, and an anonymous clerk/cop in an anonymous office finds the owner and address, and a computer issues a ticket. The ticket is placed in a clearly marked police envelope and it lands in the hands of the postal delivery guy. Who turns pale and starts shaking. Because the name on the envelope is: Pol.Lt.Gen. Sriwarah Rangsipramkul.

And thereby hangs a tale.

Has the guy never thought about employing Traffic Wardens, not policemen, whose sole job is to monitor illegal parking and issue tickets to offenders? They are some of the most hated people in UK but certainly effective.

However, the biggest problem with traffic in Pattaya has nothing to do with illegal parking. It's badly thought out traffic light phasing. All he has to do is employ someone with a brain to go round all the major snarl-ups and re-adjust the timing of the lights to suit traffic flow. Instant success!

• 1 month later...

They forget to put film in them? No, they're digital.

They most likely leaked rainwater all over/in them....But we should buy some more.crazy.gif1zgarz5.gif

Good thing they had to brain storm.

Less buses, more regulated/automated lights and police doing their job would solve Pattaya traffic problems.

Buses create many traffic problems, but not only parking whereever they like, but also turning into and from tiny sois, there they should not be in the first place.

Lights which are not timed,is another reason for traffic jams

Police regulating traffic when lights broken. Someone should explain to traffic cops, its not 10 mins for 1 side and 1 min for another.

Cars double parking , cars doing illegal uturns and my favorite which really pisses me off, Sukhumvit Road turning into Pattaya Tai or Theaparsit, where 1 lanes marked to turn right and 3 go straight.

Well not for drivers in Pattaya, first, 2 lanes get blocked up waiting to turn right, and naturally none of them bother to turn on the blinker, then 3rd lane decided to also go right(waiting for the light) and again naturally without turning on the blinker.

So before you know it, you have 3 lanes waiting for lights to turn right, where half of the people are just stuck, because car in front of them did not use the blinker to indicate and 1 lane to go straight.

Then of course Tunnel works does not help either