Bangkok suspends buying submarines from China over US concern: expert

webfact

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also think this is due to the public backlash. It's been massive. My wife's been following this on the social media sites. The PM's previous comment was the navy needed to do a better job convincing the public these were needed. Makes sense.

I can understand why the US made it "clear that the US did not want to see closer cooperation between China and Thailand, especially in terms of military ties and defense."

Just look at the amount of monetary support the US has given Thailand since WWII. Jumping into bed with China would be a slap in the face for Thailand's principle Allie. Besides given the current issues in the South China Sea, with China thumbing its nose at all come hither in the region, the China team is definitely the wrong team to be on. Does Thailand want to get itself back into the same situation it was in when Japan forced Thailand to announce allegiances to the Axis Powers ?

Besides buying toys for boys, when Thailand is currently in dire straits with water management and drought, would be just plain immoral.

May be just as good . Thailand backed the wrong side in WW2.

To be fair, Thailand didn't have a choice. The British already had their hands full, and America was very hesitant to enter WWII. It took the Japanese bombing of US military assets and people in general in Pearl Harbor in Hawaii for the US get into a rage. Japan woke a sleeping giant, as it is reported that the Emperor of Japan later said.

The US did come in and help in SE Asia and in Australia later.

One thing of note is that the leader of Thailand, another military guy was very enamored with Hitler's style much to the consternation of some of the other officials. The guy liked the fascism. Perhaps that's why a fascination with Nazism and Hitler linger in Thailand? ?? Dunno.

The Japanese attacked Thailand and about all the Thais could do was cut a deal because they had no help they could count on from the Western Allies. Once the US dropped the atomic bombs on Japan, it was pretty much a done deal except for mopping up.

Cheers.

A good point to note is that the head of the exiled Thai Government based in the US (I believe he was a Prince from the Royal Family) after the Japanese invasion, refused to hand over Thailand's Declaration of War (demanded by Japan), to the US government. The Japanese Government never knew this until after the war. And that act softened any punishment that Thailand would have received, as a previous Axis Power.

Is it possible that through the "back channels", which are never known to the public, that the U.S. told Thailand: "Buy the Chinese subs and we will screw you every possible."

that would be very stupid because the US doesn't want to loose Thailand as an friendly nation to China. the Thais had enough of the loudmouths and taught them a lesson: shutup or we go to China

Whilst i don't disregard the arrogance of the US, they could make Thailand, and probably China's economies sink without a trace if they really felt like it, like has happened with Russia and the US's European allies.

Getting on a few of the bad lists of the US, a quick bit of behind the scenes deals and both countries economies would be on the skids.

In a fight with China, the US could partner with Vietnam, Malaysia, Cambodia, Philippines already and no doubt anyone else they fancied.

The US are interfering <deleted> a lot of the time, but to pretend they are not the main superpower is naivety in the extreme. There is a reason why every wealthy Asian sends their children for education in the West and the majority of them have houses and holiday homes there.

if China partners with Russia and a couple of friends and don't use the dollar anymore for oil buys, the economy of the US is in pieces

HUH?

I don't think they were ever serious about buying those subs, the whole thing was a red herring.

Designed to divert certain TVF posters away from other things that actually were going to happen. clap2.gif

What an imagination. The Thai government making decisions based on what TVF posters think? Nobody's ego can be that big......Thanks. I needed a big laugh today.

Well, I was wrong about you. I was sure that one would have gone over your head ! clap2.gif (warning, sarcasm alert)

I don't think they were ever serious about buying those subs, the whole thing was a red herring.

Designed to divert certain TVF posters away from other things that actually were going to happen. clap2.gif

A Chinese sub is a red herring . I like that.

An unintentional twist of words, but now that you have pointed it out I like it too.

Is it possible that through the "back channels", which are never known to the public, that the U.S. told Thailand: "Buy the Chinese subs and we will screw you every possible."

And it's possible that the earth will be invaded by aliens tomorrow. But it's not very likely.

Nevertheless, it's a pity, I kind of like the idea of Thailand wasting their money on chinese junk.

Edited by Time Traveller

And it's possible that the earth will be invaded by aliens tomorrow. But it's not very likely.

Nevertheless, it's a pity, I kind of like the idea of Thailand wasting their money on chinese junk.

You mean the type with sails on. That should be much cheaper.

So, where do you get your info to come to such a conclusion? From the local Amercan bashing panel? Tell me who else is patrolling these waters, MATE.

why are you making this shxt up ? you need to take stock of yourself and try to understand why the need to make up stories because you can . .... its bad , just a plain bad thing to do . rumor monger comes to mind .

What the "blank" would Thailand need subs for anyway? The other 999 needs are much more important.

i heard the chinese fell outta their commander chairs because of laughing so hard when thailand requested retractable wheels on 2 of the subs .

The Chinese deal maybe just a Thai diplomacy knowing that arms deal is a US sentiment - All countries spending billions of dollars on US weapons are "democratic" and " good" - India where people starve spends so much on weapons and defence equipment for example

Thailand does not need a 2600 ton super sub. Google this sub and you will see it has 3 decks. If Thailand wants some sub's, get something smaller and cheaper to prove the usefulness in a Thai setting.

I think you mean a "yellow" herring......

Good article here: http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/naval/submarines/2015/07/12/thailand-china-submarines-us-pivot/29904545/

During the 1990s, China sold two Chinese Type-25T frigates and four Jianghu III-class guided missile frigates to Thailand, but both have been plagued with technical problems, including integration issues with third-party technologies.... the Thai armed forces' reluctance to acquire Chinese equipment is well known — reflecting earlier disappointments — and that they have a general preference for US and other Western equipment.

Doubtful the admirals were thrilled with obtaining another Chinese "junk."