jalepeno peppers

luther

I got them about a month ago at the Royal Project shop near CMU- that was the first time I'd seen them there (the wife likes to stop in fairly regularly), and I don't recall seeing them in the couple of times I've been there since, so there may be a season for them. They were pretty good and I'd buy them again.;)

They have them at the Doi Kham (Royal Project) morning market up at Doi Kham every day when they are in season.

And a hint regarding the outlet shop at CMU, get there about 13:00 because that is when the truck arrives with the veggies. Some business/restaurant owners are waiting there and many of the products are sold out within an hour or two. The trout usually goes within an hour. Too many times we've driven in town only to find almost nothing available there. Now we get there about 13:15 and as they unload the vegetable bins, we grab what we need.

Edited by elektrified

Unless you happen to be from the area, you likely don't know that the global center of chili research (and accumulated data and samples) is New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, NM. http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org

And the annual Chili Festival in the US is in Hatch, NM, just up the road a few miles. All the chilis in the world today originated, based on best available information, in the Amazon basin and migrated from there - first up through Central America and into what is now Mexico, and then to other continents, spread originally by the Spanish.

Mexicans don't cook with jalapeño, as a rule, because the pepper is too variable and can range from mild to fairly hot; and you can't tell from appearances. They prefer serrano chilis, which provide more consistent heat. On the hotness scale, either is relatively mild compared to several other species.

None of that is particularly relevant to shopping in Chiang Mai, but I thought maybe some who have an interest in chilis might appreciate it if the information is new to you.

Edited by Ozziepat

I agree with the comment about the Serranoes, and have seen a lot that looked like Serrano, here in CM. Many don't know that the red ones are simply (vine) ripened greens. The last time I was on a pepper farm; they were getting 7 thb per KG for bell peppers..that was in Holister, CA.

Sometimes I see Royal Project jalapenos at Tops KSK and always purchase them, whether or not I need them. I just want to show "support" for the concept of stocking them. I know if we don't use them in a couple days, I can ask Hubby to put on the rubber gloves and dice them up into little pieces. They freeze well and can be used later in cooked recipes. (Hubby doesn't trust me in the kitchen with a knife -- too many trips to the E/R for stitches, so he does most of the chopping)

They do seem to stock them more reliability at Rim Ping Nim City (near Central Airport Plaza), but I don't shop there very often.

Good to see the Thai people accepting and using jalapenos more often.

BTW, if you press num lock. then hold down the alt key, and press 164 from the keypad, you will get a ñ as in Jalapeño. 165 for Ñ. Many of the gourmet grocers sell the bags of chopped frozen, and they they've been using them on frozen pizzas for 80 years...protects you from large price fluctuations due to seasonality...so yes, Nancy is correct. Four months after they were 7 thb per kg at the farm, they were 410 THB per KG at a grocery store 150 km away.