SUV COMPARISON

Topcroc

I would like to ask the experts the pros and cons of the MU X compared to the New Fortuna.

From reading the current thread on the new Fortuna it is very similar to the previous model other than a face lift. I am more interested in Technical posatives to both vehicles.

I am not in Thailand right now but on return may be purchasing one of either.

Thank you Topcroc.

Maybe this topic is better re-visited once the new Pajero Sport releases on August 1st? Then we can do a big roundup that will remain relevant for at least the next year or more.

Edited by IMHO

Also Mitsubishi Pajero comes close to a SUV, Not a pimped up pickup.

Once a mate rode me in his MU7 from Pattaya to Suv.

He drove quite fast over the limit and also did not care about the reduced speed for the "canal bridges" (at that time maybe much worse than today).

That tank jumped like a wild horse, on landing I could have broken my neck at the roof.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Being pickup based doesn't automatically mean "lesser car" - if you drive a current model pickup, you'll understand they have come a very long way since the days of the Hilux Tiger, Isuzu dragon eyes, and Nissan big M ;) yeah yeah, I've heard it all.. "lipstick on a pig" blah blah, yadda yadda. Drive one that wasn't designed last decade though and you might just be surprised..

Mazda CX5, BMW X1/X3, Merc GLA, Nissan Xtrail, Volvo XC, Subaru XV, Audi C3/C5, VW Tiguan... Lots of choice in this segment. As longs as you have a budget of 1.4mil upwards.. Some good secondhand deals available too

Mazda CX5, BMW X1/X3, Merc GLA, Nissan Xtrail, Volvo XC, Subaru XV, Audi C3/C5, VW Tiguan... Lots of choice in this segment. As longs as you have a budget of 1.4mil upwards.. Some good secondhand deals available too

maybe Honda should read this thread ? no one mentioned the worst looking one the CRV whistling.gif

Thanks Guys your input.

Was not aware of the soon to be released Pajero.

The idea of a a three way look is a good one.

As nice as some of the other brands that are on the market are, resale down the track and quality of service is most important and these aspects let down other brands in my opinion.

OK, well the MU-7 and previous model Everest were the worst of breed, with their leaf spring rear ends. They're not all that 'agricultural' ;)

OK, well the MU-7 and previous model Everest were the worst of breed, with their leaf spring rear ends. They're not all that 'agricultural' wink.png

But having that done to youcrying.gif riding a cow would probably be easier, is that where the 'agricultural ' link is?laugh.png .

Non have a Petrol engine. Now a Nissan with a Tena V6 i would like.thumbsup.gif

The MU-X is better looking than the new Fortuner, more compact, and has a good interior. BUT ... for long legged farangs it's uncomfortable to drive as the steering wheel does not extend. The centre console arm-rest is too far back and uncomfortable.

New Fortuner drives beautifully and as one might expect it is also comfortable and well featured. A front lower scoop adds brutish looks and improves the long snout but the range is let down by the dashboard ... looks like 3 x 10 year old wannabe designers put it together.

I await a test drive of the Everest and release of Pajero ...

We have just ordered the New top model Fortuner. Took several others for test drives but this suited me best. I have a few mates with last years model and all have praised the overall performance and comfort. I do not know about the rest of you, but I think Toyota have the best after sales service compared to most. I have had some really bad experiences at other dealerships hence the change to Toyota. Best represented brand in Thailand

I had a Toyota Vigo for 8 years and it was a great truck. The Fortuner had and still has the same engine and transmission. Front suspension was similar but softer, while the rear was changed from leaf springs to semi-independent. The Fortuner had more bells and whistles, of course.

Reliability was similar and my Vigo was very reliable for the time that I owned it. Only a couple of minor problems. Sold it to a family member a year ago, and like the Engergizer Bunny, it just keeps ticking.

You can't criticize Toyota for service and support in Thailand. They do a great job.

The new Fortuner is really a new model not merely a slight make-over. The engines and trannies are different. Lots of new bells and whistles. One of my students was a Toyota test engineer, so I know that the truck and SUV are new models.

As the saying goes, "Size matters!" So if you want an SUV to drive upcountry or in the suburbs, I'd go with the Fortuner. Avoid the gasoline engine - it is slow and inefficient. But if you need a smaller SUV to drive in congested areas, then I'd look at the MU-X. No doubt the Mazda SUV is very good, but how many dealer and how many spares can they afford to stock?

It's just hard to beat Toyota in Thailand! Good luck. Bring money - the top model is US $44,000 or about $10,000 more than the top model pick-up.

I now have an MU-X 4x4 top spec after having driven a Fortuner 4x4 top spec for 8 years. The MU-X is cheaper, drives very comfortable and is great off road. The seating position is perfect for me (180 cm tall). The engine is very smooth with more than enough low-end grunt. It feels more powerful in reality than the HP and torque numbers suggest. The torque curve is almost flat. The new Fortuner is certainly a very good car and technically very similar to the MU-X, albeit more expensive and quite ugly. The extra gear of the new Fortuner is not missed in the MU-X because it has such a broad power band. I have had quite some technical issues with my previous Fortuner but so far my MU-X seems to be more reliable after 20,000 km. The interior finishing of the new Fortuner is nicer than the MU-X but the drive line of the MU-X is more solid.

No one can tell you which one you should buy all have good and bad points . You need to test drive as many models as you can and then decide which one is best suited to you.I bought my Fortuner in 2005.Serviced every 10,000kl and valeted every week. Overall in 10 years we have spend around 65,000 baht on parts such as water pump, roller bearings,steering joints, 2 batteries, brake discs refurbished & 2 sets of tyres.nothing more than you would expect. Last major service was 160.000 kl when they changed all the oils, fluids, auto gearbox gasket and axel oils.

Have been looking at the new Fortuner but not sure, my old girl is still looking good andd drives well. Not to sure about the upholstery colours in the New Fortuner look very drab and no choice, But thats just my view. Good luck on your choice.!!!!!!!!!!1

I now have an MU-X 4x4 top spec after having driven a Fortuner 4x4 top spec for 8 years. The MU-X is cheaper, drives very comfortable and is great off road. The seating position is perfect for me (180 cm tall). The engine is very smooth with more than enough low-end grunt. It feels more powerful in reality than the HP and torque numbers suggest. The torque curve is almost flat. The new Fortuner is certainly a very good car and technically very similar to the MU-X, albeit more expensive and quite ugly. The extra gear of the new Fortuner is not missed in the MU-X because it has such a broad power band. I have had quite some technical issues with my previous Fortuner but so far my MU-X seems to be more reliable after 20,000 km. The interior finishing of the new Fortuner is nicer than the MU-X but the drive line of the MU-X is more solid.

What about in the Hills? From what im seeing, the MU-7 and MU-X have 110hp compared to toyota/mitsu with 170+. Is that really enough for someone that does not like to die of old age when getting somewhere? I really like the MU7 and X's because as far as used cars they are much cheaper than the other brands and they look very usefull for moving stuff around and families but when i saw 110hp :|. Are they chipable to 170+?

I've only ever had a jeep as big cars go. Im in the market for a SUV and i am not going down the route of LOW hp again. My cruze was almost costing me more than a fking v8 shelby mustang to drive around the town. That's the main reason i am not going to get an X-trail. Gasoline and lowish HP

Edited by bearpolar

What about in the Hills? From what im seeing, the MU-7 and MU-X have 110hp compared to toyota/mitsu with 170+. Is that really enough for someone that does not like to die of old age when getting somewhere? I really like the MU7 and X's because as far as used cars they are much cheaper than the other brands and they look very usefull for moving stuff around and families but when i saw 110hp :|. Are they chipable to 170+?

I've only ever had a jeep as big cars go. Im in the market for a SUV and i am not going down the route of LOW hp again. My cruze was almost costing me more than a fking v8 shelby mustang to drive around the town. That's the main reason i am not going to get an X-trail. Gasoline and lowish HP

Your info there is wrong - the MU-X is available with 2 engines:

2.5L 136HP / 320Nm

3.0L 177HP / 380Nm

Yes, not pissing contest winning by any measure, but not as weak as what you've heard :)

maybe Honda should read this thread ? no one mentioned the worst looking one the CRV whistling.gif

CRV gasoline engine is a 1x4..giggle.gif

2.5L 136HP / 320Nm

3.0L 177HP / 380Nm

Yes, not pissing contest winning by any measure, but not as weak as what you've heard smile.png

Will hold out for the CC upgrade...thumbsup.gif

2.5L 136HP / 320Nm

3.0L 177HP / 380Nm

Yes, not pissing contest winning by any measure, but not as weak as what you've heard smile.png

haha, tried reading the thai brochure on the website(out of thailand right now). There's no 136/177 anywhere. just 110/3,600

177hp makes it interesting :> so you probably get like 14km/l in city?