SUV COMPARISON

Topcroc

I now have an MU-X 4x4 top spec after having driven a Fortuner 4x4 top spec for 8 years. The MU-X is cheaper, drives very comfortable and is great off road. The seating position is perfect for me (180 cm tall). The engine is very smooth with more than enough low-end grunt. It feels more powerful in reality than the HP and torque numbers suggest. The torque curve is almost flat. The new Fortuner is certainly a very good car and technically very similar to the MU-X, albeit more expensive and quite ugly. The extra gear of the new Fortuner is not missed in the MU-X because it has such a broad power band. I have had quite some technical issues with my previous Fortuner but so far my MU-X seems to be more reliable after 20,000 km. The interior finishing of the new Fortuner is nicer than the MU-X but the drive line of the MU-X is more solid.

What about in the Hills? From what im seeing, the MU-7 and MU-X have 110hp compared to toyota/mitsu with 170+. Is that really enough for someone that does not like to die of old age when getting somewhere? I really like the MU7 and X's because as far as used cars they are much cheaper than the other brands and they look very usefull for moving stuff around and families but when i saw 110hp :|. Are they chipable to 170+?

I've only ever had a jeep as big cars go. Im in the market for a SUV and i am not going down the route of LOW hp again. My cruze was almost costing me more than a fking v8 shelby mustang to drive around the town. That's the main reason i am not going to get an X-trail. Gasoline and lowish HP

Your info there is wrong - the MU-X is available with 2 engines:

2.5L 136HP / 320Nm

3.0L 177HP / 380Nm

Yes, not pissing contest winning by any measure, but not as weak as what you've heard smile.png

haha, tried reading the thai brochure on the website(out of thailand right now). There's no 136/177 anywhere. just 110/3,600

177hp makes it interesting :> so you probably get like 14km/l in city?

14KM/L in the city?!?!? No way. You might get that with a very light foot on the highway.

Something else to compare, The TRD Toyota Tacoma, aka Revo/ Tuna base with the V8 Lexus engine does 12 KPM in City ,so much for tiny clonkers being thrifty, and the new Tuna has the same dash but with a cheaper display screen as the Yank TRD. We just don't do very well here value wise.. Same with Honda they leave bits off every other country gets as standard whilst we pay more, hate bloody Tuesdays anyway,.sad.png

The 177 HP 380 NM power plant of the MU-X is more than powerful enough. 90% of the torque comes in at turn-over rpm so acceleration is smooth and driving uphill is a blast. I burn 8.3 l/100km and with my previous Fortuner i used 10.5 l/100km in exactly the same driving conditions. The new Fortuner is comparable in power to the Mu-X. The Mu-X feels more powerful on the road than the old Fortuner. Mitsubishi has no low-end power at all. Under 2000 rpm, nobody is home and then all the torque comes in at once. If you need more power, install a chip tuning. I had my Fortuner tuned to 250 HP and 600 NM. It ran great but became mechanically unreliable. The Toyota garage on Koh Samui ripped me off several times (charged an oil change but left the old oil in the engine and sold me copy injectors when the original ones failed) but the Isuzu garage is great.

Hi Topcroc,

MUX or Fortuner was easy until now. But the new Fortuner has been licked with the Korean designers brush in my eye. Has something SsangYong. The MUX looks better. But the technical aspect of drivetrain is what sways me towards the Toyota. Had the petrol driven Fortuner for 6 years and now for the last 3 years the 2.5 Diesel 2 wheel drive. Perfect since lighter than the 4WD which I utilised only on two occasions on Khao Takiap beach during 80,000 km. Auto gear box matches the 2.5 liter very well and achieves 8.5 liter consumption per 100 km (Petrol Fort. was 13 l). Most of the time the RPM are around 2-2200 which makes for a comparatively comfortable ride environment.

My case for Toyota is that almost every village that has a 7-11 has a Toyota workshop (as long as you can avoid the one in Hua Hin). Last year I ventured into Laos and ended up with a fuel warning light due to water/dirt in Diesel filter. I pulled into the Luang Prabang Toyota dealer's shop and got the filter changed and light reset within one hour. For USD 40.

Customer relations are not yet comparable to Japan or Europe, but when I discovered a mild paint problem on mine I got a positive response from Toyota. After having written a snail mail letter to Toyota HQ in Japan. I believe this vehicle has the right mix of road support, fuel economy, basic comfort and ruggedness.

Bon voyage

Fritzz

Hi Topcroc,

MUX or Fortuner was easy until now. But the new Fortuner has been licked with the Korean designers brush in my eye. Has something SsangYong. The MUX looks better. But the technical aspect of drivetrain is what sways me towards the Toyota. Had the petrol driven Fortuner for 6 years and now for the last 3 years the 2.5 Diesel 2 wheel drive. Perfect since lighter than the 4WD which I utilised only on two occasions on Khao Takiap beach during 80,000 km. Auto gear box matches the 2.5 liter very well and achieves 8.5 liter consumption per 100 km (Petrol Fort. was 13 l). Most of the time the RPM are around 2-2200 which makes for a comparatively comfortable ride environment.

My case for Toyota is that almost every village that has a 7-11 has a Toyota workshop (as long as you can avoid the one in Hua Hin). Last year I ventured into Laos and ended up with a fuel warning light due to water/dirt in Diesel filter. I pulled into the Luang Prabang Toyota dealer's shop and got the filter changed and light reset within one hour. For USD 40.

Customer relations are not yet comparable to Japan or Europe, but when I discovered a mild paint problem on mine I got a positive response from Toyota. After having written a snail mail letter to Toyota HQ in Japan. I believe this vehicle has the right mix of road support, fuel economy, basic comfort and ruggedness.

Bon voyage

Fritzz

Yes I would agree with your assessment and had a similar experience in Laos. Was disappointed they didn’t update the interior on the toyota so no rush to trade in the 2010 model.. When MUX becomes available with CC I’ll buy one. In the meantime will have a peek at the “new” mitsu (however they do tend to be thirsty)...;) Ford, Chev, Nisan are off my list as to issues with service, spare parts, resale and depreciation.

Mazda CX5, BMW X1/X3, Merc GLA, Nissan Xtrail, Volvo XC, Subaru XV, Audi C3/C5, VW Tiguan... Lots of choice in this segment. As longs as you have a budget of 1.4mil upwards.. Some good secondhand deals available too

Non have a Petrol engine. Now a Nissan with a Tena V6 i would like.thumbsup.gif

I assume non is supposed to be none.

Of the 4 CX-5 models offered only one is diesel

post-186594-0-36843200-1437450913_thumb..

Headlight magazine have posted an in-depth, objective comparison between the top-spec Fortuner and the top-spec Everest today:

http://www.headlightmag.com/fortuner-vs-everest-ppv-compare/

You might need a Thai person to help you read it though...

Thanks for posting that, but seems to be just a spec comparison, without an editorial to speak of, and seems not to take a position as to which is best?

Headlight magazine have posted an in-depth, objective comparison between the top-spec Fortuner and the top-spec Everest today:

http://www.headlightmag.com/fortuner-vs-everest-ppv-compare/

You might need a Thai person to help you read it though...

Thanks for posting that, but seems to be just a spec comparison, without an editorial to speak of, and seems not to take a position as to which is best?

Yeah, purely objective..

A bunch of Aussie journos have been invited over to TH from 29th to August 1st to drive the Everest, at which time one would expect they'll also drive the new Tuna and PJS - so I expect we'll see some 'professional' subjective comparisons sometime early next month.

,I meant 12 for Hi Way for the V8.. My Lexus Car V8 in Europe beat the V12 Jag for economy. Whatever Truck i drive here returns about 8 in the City n 16 ish hi way, but i do thrash em.

But by "city" we should refer to Bangkok City....can't go by overseas 'urban' cycles, especially those from Australia. Their average city speeds would be higher than ours. 16 km/l i pretty impressive for a pickup on the highway. Much better than my civic:)

• 2 weeks later...