webfact

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally I think the more layers of security the better

I suspect you've haven't thought about this very much. There's no reason to think such layers make anyone safer, but plenty of evidence to support the conclusion that they do nothing at all but inconvenience people.

Interesting comment as I work in security, I'd be interested to learn about this evidence that is plentiful and support this conclusion.

Even the TSA can't find their asses with both hands.

"After spending over $540 million on baggage screening equipment and millions more on training, the failure rate today is higher than it was in 2007. Something is not working."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/01/politics/tsa-failed-undercover-airport-screening-tests/

Edited by BudRight

Why do they not scan "behind the scenes" like in other airports around the world? They have x-ray systems that scan the baggage on the conveyor belts after check in. That way only the carry on baggage would need to be checked and that is done before going to the gate.

Of course there is a risk someone has a bomb in the carry on and let it off in the duty free zone, then it would be prudent to scan the carry on before check in as well.

if they want to be more efficient ... just screen/check the baggage off all the self perceived "ho-so" people, retired generals, high ranking people and politicians. In other words...all the tossers who think they are above the law. Let everyone else go through unmolested.

Easy Peasy.

The problem is they do this stuff without prior training This creates the problem There should be one officer or security at the mouth of the extra telling everyone to also put carry ons in the scanner

This is do to poor management but then Thai management has never been up to world class More like country bumbkin

They do things here without thinking. Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Planning? You mean looking forward, into the future? You mean seeing the forest beyond the trees? You mean implementing vision? You mean making sure that a proposal and a commitment made by one administration, follows forward to the next administration? You mean avoiding a problem or an issue, before it happens, due to forward thinking, and visionary leadership?

If I depart from Zurich airport in Switzerland nothing is scanned before check-in.

The travel bag will be scanned after check-in before it is dispatched to the plane.

All the rest will be scanned at the security check before boarding.

So why is this ok in Europe, but not ok in Thailand? Don't get it.

They seem to worry that someone might do something in the airport building, prior to the security checks after check-in and prior to immigration.

In India, Chennai, they used to check you had a ticket before you could enter the building, a security check prior to immigration (police) and then another prior to boarding (private security). Different ideas on trust and risk. The airport at Riyadh always had a massive queue, usually of laborers, waiting to get all their luggage scanned before entering the check-in area. Total chaos and meant using a porter essential as they just went to the front.

Here, someone has a bright idea, seems a good one, so let's implement it with no thought, planning or process. Oops it's a cock up and chaos. Oh well, just stop it and go back as before. Clueless.

Either the "strict baggage screening" was important or it was not.

So if it was not important then the just wasted everyone's time needlessly. Or if it was important then they have now just allowed security breaches for terrorists to exploit in the future

Either way the the airports are managed clowns with incompetent security who are more interested in their own person power trip than stopping any legitimate threats.

Had the misfortune to travel through Manila about 4 years ago. When you arrive at the airport for departure, all baggage, carry on and hand carry went through xray machines before you entered the airport. There were 2 machines. Waited in line for about 1 hour before the baggage went through. The check in baggage was again scanned after check in. Hand carry was again scanned at the departure gate. You had to arrive at least 3 hours before your flight or you missed your flight. I don't travel through Manila any more. I'm sure lots of people travelling through Don Muang since last Friday won't be back to Bangkok again. Lack of foresight seems to be a part of AOT's Mission Statement

I am a very high class chief of police;

Where is the new door I have to go through to avoid the crowds of minions and the security checks please?

I am a little drunk and had trouble parking my car so I am in a hurry too.

The only thing that changed is normal people being made to wait longer while the ex Do Home checkout staff double triple and keep on re-checking again and again!

Well done!

if they want to be more efficient ... just screen/check the baggage off all the self perceived "ho-so" people, retired generals, high ranking people and politicians. In other words...all the tossers who think they are above the law. Let everyone else go through unmolested.

Easy Peasy.

yeah, just like the police chief last week who was up in arms about being requested to take a roadside breath test, "I told the policeman that I hadn't been drinking". next time you are required to put your baggage through a scanner, just tell the official "I haven't got any bombs". they'll let you straight through clap2.gif

In many countries including major US airports they don't scan anything in advanced. Checked bags get scanned after you've checked them in by airport staff and carryons get scanned to enter security area.

Most airports in Japan, Thailand, and Malaysia they have advanced scan the bags before going to the ticket counter. I can't see it accomplishes too much at most of them. The way done in Phuket okay, have to scan just to enter the door at least accomplishes something. But the most interesting is while done this way in MOST airports, very high traffic Suvarnabhumi is one of the exceptions it is not done there. But not worried about it as there are approx. 87,000 flights over the US in a given day and the large bulk of them it was done the same way it is done at Suvarnabhumi.

They still x-Ray the hand luggage after you check in as they always done. Not many airports in the world X-Ray luggage before check in.

Phuket does, even for domestic, right at the front door and again as you go to your plane.. I was done there on Sunday 19th, 2 days ago.

Maybe the long queues, delays etc were caused by all the VIPs being made to go through the normal security checks. gigglem.gif

VIPs don't go through Don Muang....

Yes they do.

Sorry, yes, I forgot..... I went through there a couple of times a few years back.....

"There is a dearth of data available around the world from airports and their PAX : X ray scan facilities ratios.... surely the first step might have been to obtain historical and forward estimate PAX numbers, determine based on flight schedules the peak times and redo date to get an indication on max PAX loadings.. then compare with other airports and look at equivalency of ratio's...... then take these ratios and apply back to DMG situation...."

Now please translate that into Thai...

"AOT's statement issued yesterday after an urgent meeting said the new procedures had caused passenger inconvenience and congestion."

Never heard of any security procedures having such a dire effect on people - an excess of mucus or fluid in the respiratory system for queuing really?.

I suspect you've haven't thought about this very much. There's no reason to think such layers make anyone safer, but plenty of evidence to support the conclusion that they do nothing at all but inconvenience people.

Interesting comment as I work in security, I'd be interested to learn about this evidence that is plentiful and support this conclusion.

Even the TSA can't find their asses with both hands.

"After spending over $540 million on baggage screening equipment and millions more on training, the failure rate today is higher than it was in 2007. Something is not working."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/01/politics/tsa-failed-undercover-airport-screening-tests/

When you say the 'TSA' can't find their asses with both hands, it would seem you would support less airport security? Take into consideration this is Americans involved in this report, the same people for whom the term "friendly fire" was made for. From this article alone it would seem the need for tighter security is needed so I stand by my initial comment. I would love to see these bozos try to get through security ar Ben Gurion.

"something is not working" is exactly correct, so we take away security? What a fix that would be! The fix would be to make it work or/and add to it. But my question is this; If it isn't working, how come there is far less plane hijacking than in the 70's for example?

errrr.. something to do with security maybe? are you serious?

Yeah, maybe he's seriously questioning why pre-scan before the real scan. Isn't that like admitting the real scan might not work? It's security theatre.

And all this extra security costs $$$ and pushes the prices up. So the 99.99999% of us who are non-terrorists are expected to pay for this?

facepalm.gif