How to fly first class for free (or on the cheap)

alocacoc

May be it's interesting for some guys. What do you think?

By Quentin Fottrell, MarketWatch

Most people would like to be part of the 1% -- even if it's only for a few hours of a flight.

Some airline passengers go to extraordinary lengths to sleep on long-haul flights, without having to pay first class. Last week, a commenter on the airline forum FlyerForum.com (http://bit.ly/1KcGQjM) said his friend books a cheap ticket for himself on Air France-KLM and two fully flexible "Y" fares in a row of three seats. He assigns the seats so they are in a row of three. KLM has no penalty for last minute cancellations on these tickets, so he cancels the fully flexible tickets while boarding is in process. "He has done it five times and KLM seems none the wiser," the person wrote. The tactic prevents the airline from selling those seats, so it's bad for the airline and shareholders; what's more, standby passengers could still fill them.

But there are more legitimate and fairer ways to actually snag a seat in first class that don't take advantage of cancellation policies. It's always worth a shot to try to finagle your way through those hallowed curtains to where the seats recline fully, experts say, as first class passengers are served Champagne and the food tastes quite good. (Complimentary food on a plane seems like a quaint relic to those of us faced with buying $18 "snack packs" in coach.) Even the air is more refined in some first class cabins: Last month, German airline Lufthansa announced that it installed humidifiers in the first class cabins of its Airbus A-380s. "It gives a totally different experience," Lufthansa chairman and CEO Carsten Spohr said last month (http://bit.ly/1KcGQjM). "Passengers arrive in much better shape after a long-haul flight."

Read: 5 things that used to be free (but aren't anymore) (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/5-things-that-used-to-be-free-2014-11-14)

Here are 7 ways to turn left instead of right when you enter the plane:

Use air miles to upgrade

Passengers often get more bang for their buck using air miles to upgrade to first class, says Sean Murphy, editor in chief for travel website Jetsetter.com. "Be willing to upgrade with miles at the last minute. Airlines sometimes unload unsold premium-class seats close to departure. Put these miles to work when they can be the most valuable." This can mean the difference between getting an upgrade with free air miles valued at $100 for a flight that costs 10 times that, adds Brian Hoyt, spokesman for coupon and personal finance site RetailMeNot.com. (It also helps to travel midweek, midday or on Saturdays when there are less crowded flights, Murphy adds.

Become an elite flier

"With airline consolidations, fewer flights scheduled and the industry as a whole looking for ways to squeeze more revenue out of everything from baggage fees to legroom, upgrades or free first class flights are like unicorns," Murphy says. "But frequent fliers, especially those who achieve elite status, are first in line." He recommends passengers who like the high life sign up for frequent flier programs with airlines, but notes that oftentimes, the highest echelons for elite travelers aren't even advertised. "Airlines are more willing to reward loyal, elite customers," he adds. It may take time and mean you have to earn tens of thousands of miles in a calendar year to be considered.

Ask about upgrading

Look for last-minute upgrade offers when you get to the airport, says George Hobica, founder of low-airfare alert site Airfarewatchdog. Airlines don't want high-margin first class seats to go to waste. "Recently I was offered a first class upgrade on a flight from Seattle to Los Angeles on Alaska Airlines by email just prior to check-in for $50. That was on top of a $118 one-way fare." While that's not exactly free, it's still less than the taxes and fees you would have to pay on most first-class tickets. "Naturally," Hobica says, "I jumped at the chance." (Some airlines, such as Lufthansa, Etihad and Virgin, even allow you to bid for upgrades shortly before your departure date, says Dara Continenza, travel editor at travel site Hopper.com.)

Read: Is lying to get an airplane upgrade so bad? (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/is-lying-to-get-an-airplane-upgrade-so-bad-2014-12-05)

Volunteer to get bumped

Gone are the days when you could say you were on your honeymoon and get bumped up to first class by a sentimental airline representative, says Jeanenne Tornatore, senior editor at travel website Orbitz.com. (The last time this happened may have been sometime during the 1990s as illustrated by this episode of "Friends (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g9OkhbcR80).") However, if you're willing to be the person to be bumped from a flight, there is room for negotiation, "especially if there aren't other people volunteering," she says. Airlines might offer a couple of hundred dollars in flight vouchers and/or first class travel on the next available flight, and the best time to hone your first class bargaining skills is when the airline staff is under pressure.

Dress like a VIP

As any salesperson -- or con man, for that matter -- will tell you, you need to act the part to succeed where thousands of others fail. "Dress the part and act as if you belong in the rarefied air of first class," Murphy says. "Being well-dressed and well-groomed gives you more of a chance than the sweatsuit or cargo-short wearing crowd." The latter will likely be the majority of airline travelers. In response to the question, "When flying, do you feel you or others get treated better by airline personnel if you dress to impress," 63% of airline passengers said yes, in a 2011 AirfareWatchdog.com survey. Hobica says dressing up increases the chances of everything from getting an upgrade to even getting chosen as a standby passenger.

Switch credit cards

If you're in the market for a new credit card, opening a travel-awards credit card to use air miles for a free upgrade, Continenza says. "I like the Capital One Venture card because there is usually a large initial mile offer -- 40,000 bonus miles [once you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first three months], plus two miles for every dollar spent on everyday items like groceries and gas," she says. "These miles add up and can easily be used for airline upgrades or full tickets." Citi's AAdvantage Platinum Select MasterCard offers 30,000 miles after spending $1,000 within the first three months and Discover It offers double the miles you've earned at the end of the first year of owning the card.

File a complaint

Is your seat broken? Does your TV screen not work properly? Or was your luggage delayed or lost on a previous trip? "When confronted with an inconvenience that is clearly the responsibility of an airline, then complaining in a polite matter -- either at the airport, onboard or afterward through the airline's customer service department -- may be your chance to get out of coach," says Xavier Sagaert, owner of the travel advice website TheLuxuryTravelExpert.com (http://theluxurytravelexpert.com/). Sagaert and a travel companion recently encountered a 24-hour flight delay with Cathay Pacific, and after filing an online complaint on Cathay's website, received two upgrade vouchers per person for a future flight.

Also see: The worst thing about flying? (These people http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-worst-thing-about-flying-you-2014-08-29)

-Quentin Fottrell; 415-439-6400; [email protected]

Subscribe to WSJ: http://online.wsj.com?mod=djnwires

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

07-20-15 0852ET

"Some airline passengers go to extraordinary lengths to sleep on long-haul flights, without having to pay first class. Last week, a commenter on the airline forum FlyerForum.com (http://bit.ly/1KcGQjM) said his friend books a cheap ticket for himself on Air France-KLM and two fully flexible "Y" fares in a row of three seats. He assigns the seats so they are in a row of three. KLM has no penalty for last minute cancellations on these tickets, so he cancels the fully flexible tickets while boarding is in process. "He has done it five times and KLM seems none the wiser," the person wrote."

Believe me, KLM is the wiser. Processing 10 (5 x 2) credits will lead to an audit. One might be charged with significant crimes (fraud).

There are very few fully refundable (Y/full fare bucket) economy fares these days; there are some in P and J. Cancellation terms quickly switch to no-show

Booking multiple seats with the exact same passenger name is usually not allowed, unless you contact the airline ticketing desk directly (over-weight person, courier).

There've been a few threads here re: fishing for a free upgrade by "dressing for success".

If you can plan far ahead, there are discounted business (Z) and first class (A) fare buckets available which can represent a significant value. Inventory is very limited, and these are extremely restrictive fares.

Edited by bamnutsak

Believe me, KLM is the wiser. Processing 10 (5 x 2) credits will lead to an audit. One might be charged with significant crimes (fraud).

I'm surprised that KLM's systems allow this to happen but even so I cant see that any crime is being committed.

You book a seat and you cancel, in full accordance with the T&Cs. Where's the fraud?

I'm surprised that KLM's systems allow this to happen but even so I cant see that any crime is being committed.

You book a seat and you cancel, in full accordance with the T&Cs. Where's the fraud?

I don't see how a passenger can even book and check in 3 seats with one passenger name, never mind cancel on boarding.

Book 2 or 3 full flexible Y class economy fares. The full Y fare is very expensive, probably more than a discounted business class seat. Its the joke airfare nobody in their right mind would ever book. It would cost several thousand euros to book a couple of these to Bangkok. Refund would take a while. Cancel them whilst you are boarding after you have checked-in? It smells like BS to me.

I don't see how a passenger can even book and check in 3 seats with one passenger name, never mind cancel on boarding.

I suppose that they used different names for the bookings.

Well that doesn't add up in the story, because we are told he cancelled on boarding. So how did he check in with his 3 names?

bullshit comes to my mind whistling.gif

Air couriers sometimes have to book more than one seat, for their valuable "cargo".

I was on an LH flight, FRA-BOS, Yo-Yo Ma had one F seat for himself, and one for his cello (upper deck/744).

Larger people can book multiple seats, they need to contact the airline in person.

Where's the fraud?

Unsure, please review the carrier's CoC for details. Fraud might be a strong term; but booking flights with the express purpose of circumventing other challenges, and then cancelling them mayinvoke the wrath of an airline. You should also check with your CC company to make sure they don't have any rules re: usage on multiple duplicate air tickets, and subsequent cancellations.

I suppose that they used different names for the bookings.

Well that doesn't add up in the story, because we are told he cancelled on boarding. So how did he check in with his 3 names?

Can you cancel after you have checked in?

I understood that he booked three seats and then only checked in for one. Not clear, admittedly.

Malaysia Airlines allows you to bid for a C-class upgrade, after you purchased a Y-class ticket , and many bids are successful at very low prices. I have been upgraded successfully several times between BKK and KUL or KUL and CGK, MNL or DPS when my bid was just the lowest value possible at 50 or 75$. it doesn't matter if even the Y-class ticket was at a promo price. worth a try

Malaysia Airlines allows you to bid for a C-class upgrade, after you purchased a Y-class ticket , and many bids are successful at very low prices. I have been upgraded successfully several times between BKK and KUL or KUL and CGK, MNL or DPS when my bid was just the lowest value possible at 50 or 75$. it doesn't matter if even the Y-class ticket was at a promo price. worth a try

Can be even cheaper to upgrade on Malaysian if you are willing to risk a seat and see if there are any LMU's (Last Minute Upgrade) when you get to the airport.

Can be even cheaper to upgrade on Malaysian if you are willing to risk a seat and see if there are any LMU's (Last Minute Upgrade) when you get to the airport.

These days I would prefer the certainty rather than the stress. However...I would certainly like to know whether Malaysian do the bidding process on a regular basis particularly with long-haul.

Edited by SheungWan

These days I would prefer the certainty rather than the stress. However...I would certainly like to know whether Malaysian do the bidding process on a regular basis particularly with long-haul.

If there are seats then the bidding is for all flights and is done on the Malaysian web site and any seats left go to the last minute upgrade program at the airport. I agree that for a long haul I would prefer to know in advance but recently I have been travelling BKK-KL-Bintulu so wasn't really fussed about Business class but was nice to have it for such a cheap upgrade, also was worth it just for the extra One World Miles I got.

I think TG still offer stand by upgrades?

http://www.thaiairways.com/en/plan_my_trip/Travel_information.page?

scroll down.expand to get a full listing.

TG Stand-by Upgrading Facility
Effective 01APR14
I. General Rules – TG Stand-by upgrading is the facility applicable in the “From…..To…..” basis at passenger contentment and satisfaction. There are two tables of the upgrading surcharges/fees shown in different currencies, varied by boarding point:
a. TG Stand-by upgrading for sector(s) from Thailand where currency shown in THB (THAI Baht),
b. TG Stand-by upgrading for other sectors except Thailand where currency shown in different Local Currency.

The key issue seems to be that travelling in coach has become such a horrible experience that we're all looking for ways to avoid it.

And as most airlines seem to be losing money - I think the cheap 'cram them in' strategy has been a failure.

Would a shift to all seats configured as Premium Economy with higher prices and margins but fewer passengers per flight be a better option?

If there are seats then the bidding is for all flights and is done on the Malaysian web site and any seats left go to the last minute upgrade program at the airport. I agree that for a long haul I would prefer to know in advance but recently I have been travelling BKK-KL-Bintulu so wasn't really fussed about Business class but was nice to have it for such a cheap upgrade, also was worth it just for the extra One World Miles I got.

Absolutely...the Avios are useful for future upgrades and looks like I will get BA gold this year for the first time in a decade....roll out the red carpet at Heathrow....that is if I ever visit that awful airport.

I had to wait 2 months for Credit back to my card on JAN, it's the Norm, these might of worked of worked back in the day, I was flying 100,000 a month on Cathy Pacific to HK, upgraded Once, Sapphire Status they gave me 1st Class Lounge though, HK has Cabanas, Nice

Edited by Nice Boyd

Sheung Wan (Sheung Wan ? I though there are no flights to SHEUNG WAN, it's only being served by MRT, right ? ^^ ), if you book the ticket directly on MAS' website, you will most probably get an email from them within 24 hrs, offering an upgrade-bid. Then you can place your bid (or just wait until a few days before the flight), and in case it was successful, which will only be determined a few days before your actual flight when they evaluate the seat-occupancy, your credit card will be charged. If you book through other channels, it might still work, just go to MAS website, the upgrade-button is easy to find, then type in the PNR or flight Info. About long-haul: while I mostly fly intra-Asian, I do fly to Europe once or twice a year too, and did so on MAS on two occasions in the past 18 month. both times they sent me the upgrade mail immediately, but the longhaul leg was a tad too expensive for me.

I am flying them again in December BKK-KUL-LHR and onwards intra-European with another oneworld Airline and they sent me email again. They invited me to bid for the BKK-KUL-LHR legs in early December, but return they only offered to bid for the KUL-BKK leg, as my flight LHR-KUL is peak XMas-holiday season. But who knows, if it's not fully booked and I log in to the upgrade system a few days before the actual flight date, maybe suddenly LHR-KUL will become available too, in case C-class is not as fully booked as they expect. Minimum offer for BKK-KUL or KUL-BKK was 75$, KUL-LHR was 1.000$.

Hope that helps

I am flying them again in December BKK-KUL-LHR and onwards intra-European with another oneworld Airline and they sent me email again. They invited me to bid for the BKK-KUL-LHR legs in early December, but return they only offered to bid for the KUL-BKK leg, as my flight LHR-KUL is peak XMas-holiday season. But who knows, if it's not fully booked and I log in to the upgrade system a few days before the actual flight date, maybe suddenly LHR-KUL will become available too, in case C-class is not as fully booked as they expect. Minimum offer for BKK-KUL or KUL-BKK was 75$, KUL-LHR was 1.000$.

Is that per sector? So a total of 2150USD for the whole return flight? On top of the economy fare already paid?

If so that doesnt sound like much of a bargain and you also run the risk of not getting the upgrade and being forced to fly economy.

I would rather just buy my business class ticket up-front and know that I will get a seat that wont give me DVT or worse.

And as most airlines seem to be losing money - I think the cheap 'cram them in' strategy has been a failure.

While there are several different types of carriers (regional, LCC, full-service, global, alliance-based, etc.), and they implement different strategies, many might take issue with your premise?

Airlines are expected to post a collective global net profit in 2014 of some $19.9 billion (up from the $18.0 billion projected in June). This looks set to rise to $25.0 billion in 2015.

http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pages/2014-12-10-01.aspx

Decreasing pitch in Y (and increasing P/J service), lower fuel costs (or hedging), increased fees (baggage, change) are all trends leading to increased profitability.

I had a business class ticket from Africa back to BKK And I used points to upgrade to first class on the first leg. When I arrived in Dubai I found that they had upgraded the next sector for me for free...happy days. The answer is spend a little and get a little.

The key issue seems to be that travelling in coach has become such a horrible experience that we're all looking for ways to avoid it.

Would a shift to all seats configured as Premium Economy with higher prices and margins but fewer passengers per flight be a better option?

Though I might agree with you that flying economy has become a horrible experience particularly long haul, I would argue that the competitive driving down of prices demanded by a significant sector of the market even with the resultant poorer flying experience trumps those of us who are prepared to pay more for something better. However I have noticed that with Cathay, PE long haul after a rocky start has been pretty much full on the flights I have been on.

Edited by SheungWan

MAJIC

Exactly what I was thinking.