Srinagarind and Vajiralongkorn Dams remain structurally safe, following series of quakes

webfact

Srinagarind and Vajiralongkorn Dams remain structurally safe, following series of quakes

KANCHANABURI, 22 July 2015 (NNT) - Srinagarind Dam and Vajiralongkorn Dam located in Kanchanaburi Province remain structurally strong, despite a number of quakes hitting the nearby district of Sangkhlaburi last Tuesday, confirmed an engineering expert of Srinagarind Dam.

Somsak Wangwithaya, a level-9 engineer at Srinagarind Dam under the supervision of the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) emphasized that people should not worry about the strength of both dams as the quakes were not highly destructive. A moderate 4.8 magnitude earthquake rocked Sangkhlaburi district on 14 July, followed by two aftermaths three days later on 17 July at 18.12 p.m. and 20.21 p.m. The two quakes were measured at 2.4 and 2.2 magnitudes respectively.

Srinagarind Dam is located 200 km. away from the epicenter of the quakes. Every 100 km. could reduce the effect of the quakes, Somsak explained. Moreover, both dams were designed to resist tremors that are ten times higher than the quake happening last week.

He also stressed that both dams were built with the world’s standard technology approved by the World Commission on Dams. They therefore are highly secured and have not been affected by the earthquakes. However, EGAT would monitor the dams on a regular basis and keep the public informed of the dams’ security.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-22 footer_n.gif

It warms my heart to hear that the dams was build according to international standards. I only have one question can a 100% guarantee be given that no tea money was paid to allow contractors to use sub-standard materials or to take any construction short cuts? I think not, so we will wait and see if they stand the test of time.