Suspension bridge in Phichit collapses before opening

webfact

wow, who gets the blame for the bridge falling down. move the guilty party to an in active post.

so, did they run out of money to finish the bridge after all the brown bags were past out. you know those were some heavy brown bags. oh well another construction issue. must have been a Thai. construction company.

building a real bridge takes more engineering than building a Lego bridge.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And those skilled engineers from top gear managed to build a bridge that could accommodate large truck weights. These clowns with a sizeable budget couldn't even get it to stand up without any weight on it. What a shambles. Have to shake my head sometimes

Let's not forget Galopping Gertie built in the almighty, all powerful, all wonderful, all perfect yoo-ess-eh?

I think if you cared to investigate closely and review the engineering reports on the Tacoma bridge failure you might see / learn there is a major difference in the mode of failure between these two events.

The I-10 bridge in California that failed was nearly 60 years old.

Have you ever seen a thai weld steel?

They do that with just some light dark glasses on, after 5 times restart the welding process, they dont even see where they have to weld. I have seen so much crap welds in thai, no wonder things fall apart.

I dont say we farangs are perfect. But thai is to far away from good enaugh !

As the next example show us again....Thai-modify bridge didnt work out well. Please stop the crap and use a boat, much safer than yur bridges, btw 9 mill for that!! Is it build of stainless steel? And gold painted?? <deleted> ! I hope they will buy a decent education from the cash they did not ern.

Hang on - Have I got this straight..the contractor hadn't finished the bridge, but it was still going to be opened?

So once opened despite being unfinished one can assume it would have been used to cross the river. Sounds like the collapse is a blessing in disguise.

Sounds about right to me, hence that's why it collapsed probably

Had the contractor ever built a suspension bridge? Probably not; just as most contractors who get road construction contracts have never built a road, or those who get sewage treatment plant contracts have never built an engineered structure, etc. The corruption here is ubiquitous and the ultimate cost to society untenable.

Wind at just the right speed can cause harmonic vibrations in suspension bridges and power cables, and for power cables it is often just a slight breeze. You will see the illustrated dampers on power cables, located a metre or so from each tower. Understanding the mechanics of flutter of suspension bridges is fairly advanced engineering, and the knowledge of it was possibly not one of the major considerations of those who wrote the contract.

dampers-1.jpg

Your comment has no relevance.

As reported, there was heavy rain. The heavy rain washed out the supporting foundations causing the support anchors to lose their dynamic balancing. According to initial survey, heavy rain was suspected to have weakened the base of the bridge to the point where it collapsed into the river

Did you look at the photographs? The cracked and crushed concrete is visible. What is so hard to accept about the effect of soil erosion? Time and time again we have seen the damage, particularly as it relates to retaining walls that collapse when soil is eroded. The foundations were obviously not deep enough and/or not strong enough for this structure.

It's wonderful that in addition to your formal training as a taxi driver, you are also a self appointed expert on energy waves. However, that still doesn't change the fact that you are offering information that has nothing to do with this event. The soil washed away, the support structure shifted, the balance changed and down it went.

"Local authorities said fortunately it collapsed before the official opening otherwise many people would have died and injured."

Nice spin.

Sometimes I think they are trolling us.

No difference to every statement from the authorities.

any photos before and after

I wonder how much of that budget was actually spent on the bridge

Only of the after....

4KEp142.png

Pic: ThaiRath

Jesus, it looks like material used to build a children's playground.

Probably, brought from Toys R Us - special bulk deal.

any photos before and after

I wonder how much of that budget was actually spent on the bridge

Only of the after....

4KEp142.png

Pic: ThaiRath

2,9 m wide ?

Maybe 1,9 but surely not 2,9 m

I am sure you are correct. 2.9 would have enabled some idiot in a car to attempt a crossing. Let's settle for 1.9.thumbsup.gif

I'm not sure if I understand the problem:

Wind at just the right speed can cause harmonic vibrations in suspension bridges and power cables, and for power cables it is often just a slight breeze. You will see the illustrated dampers on power cables, located a metre or so from each tower. Understanding the mechanics of flutter of suspension bridges is fairly advanced engineering, and the knowledge of it was possibly not one of the major considerations of those who wrote the contract.

dampers-1.jpg

As reported, there was heavy rain. The heavy rain washed out the supporting foundations causing the support anchors to lose their dynamic balancing. According to initial survey, heavy rain was suspected to have weakened the base of the bridge to the point where it collapsed into the river

Did you look at the photographs? The cracked and crushed concrete is visible. What is so hard to accept about the effect of soil erosion? Time and time again we have seen the damage, particularly as it relates to retaining walls that collapse when soil is eroded. The foundations were obviously not deep enough and/or not strong enough for this structure.

It's wonderful that in addition to your formal training as a taxi driver, you are also a self appointed expert on energy waves. However, that still doesn't change the fact that you are offering information that has nothing to do with this event. The soil washed away, the support structure shifted, the balance changed and down it went.

Gee GK, not like you to make a nasty, condescending comment and insult a TVF member. What happened ? Did you forget to take your anti-nasty pills ? biggrin.png

Getting back to the topic, it looks like the deck of the bridge is a 6"- 8" layer of concrete. If so that is a lot of weight, no wonder the bloody thing collapsed, trying to hold up all that weight. thumbsup.gif

dampers-1.jpg

Thank you for your input and cheap shot. Somehow I think my degree still has relevance despite being semi-retired.

What is the source of your italicised quote? I don't see that anywhere in the OP.

Using your vast knowledge of suspension bridges, can you explain to me how the damage to the base of the tower (possibly caused by added load from a whipping deck) has caused the bridge to collapse? The deck is supported by cables running from anchor blocks over the towers. As the towers haven't collapsed or lost significant vertical height, are you assuming the anchor blocks, located some distance behind the towers have shifted, or released the cables?

In the 3rd photograph, it appears the deck has shifted back to shore, leading me to believe the deck has separated somewhere mid-river, allowing cable tension to pull it back. Only a theory until further evidence.

Still waiting for a date those dams were "at capacity".

dampers-1.jpg

Gee GK, not like you to make a nasty, condescending comment and insult a TVF member. What happened ? Did you forget to take your anti-nasty pills ? biggrin.png

Getting back to the topic, it looks like the deck of the bridge is a 6"- 8" layer of concrete. If so that is a lot of weight, no wonder the bloody thing collapsed, trying to hold up all that weight. thumbsup.gif

Thanks. However, it irks me when people speculate and offer up convoluted explanations for simple events. Why is there a need to complicate matters? The soil washed away, the foundations of the support structure shifted. This is a common occurrence in Thailand. Preventable and a direct result of incompetence and the cutting of corners. In Patong, it was a monthly event for awhile as development occurred on the hilltop protected lands. Burmese workers were regularly squashed when the walls gave way.

Surely there where staged payments tied to inspections and progress reports. Who signed off on those? I know TIT but when countless lives are at risk when something goes wrong, surely this can't just be fobbed off as TIT.

Farang think too much.

Not good.

Yes better to be thai who have no pride in their work, no value on human life, very corrupt and very mistakenly think they are a superior race when reality like this event shows how backward they really are.

Yes i think you sum up thais very well, they dont think at all....

Some people see a collapsed bridge....... others see lottery numbers.

Change your perspective unhappy farangs.

coffee1.gif

Your ability to post a simple reply, while using the basic quote function, seems suspiciously inadequate.

1. Were the bridge drawings and specifications drawn up by an engineer qualified and experienced in this area of engineering?

2. Were the drawings and specifications approved by a senior experienced engineer?

3. Did the construction company have any previous experience in bridge building / this type of bridge building?

4. Did the construction company owner or a senior employee know how to read the specifications and understand them and understand the physics, load equations etc?

5.Can the construction company show clearly that construction was supervised appropriately?

6. Are there records of the quality of cement mixing / steel used etc.?

7. How come the appropriate government department did not notice much earlier that the construction was wrong / incorrect / lacking, etc., etc., etc.

8. Sounds like there was approval for it to be used (but not yet used). Who gave the approval, was it an appropriate engineer?

9. Has the construction company been paid in full?

and more...

I think the outcome "Bridge Collapsed" answers all of the above questions.

Since this is stale news, I have merely posted some photos i took on my way back home for our resident engineering experts to look at if interested.

As those that can read Thai will notice, the bridge is adjacent to a police "station". Cable failure looks a possibility IMHO.

post-9891-0-27031900-1437732907_thumb.jppost-9891-0-72705800-1437732930_thumb.jppost-9891-0-08028300-1437732922_thumb.jppost-9891-0-66254100-1437733003_thumb.jppost-9891-0-72385000-1437732940_thumb.jp

Since this is stale news, I have merely posted some photos i took on my way back home for our resident engineering experts to look at if interested.

As those that can read Thai will notice, the bridge is adjacent to a police "station". Cable failure looks a possibility IMHO.

attachicon.gifIMGP4091.JPGattachicon.gifIMGP4093.JPGattachicon.gifIMGP4094.JPGattachicon.gifIMGP4095.JPGattachicon.gifIMGP4097.JPG

Thank you, I have been trying to get more information on this but all I could find was repeats of the original report blaming erosion - which seemed unlikely as the support towers were both still standing.

Were you able to see if the deck support beams had parted mid-stream? The deck structure on the far side was slumped down the bank at a steep angle, and the section you pictured seems (to me) to have moved back toward the bank, meaning it's gained a few metres or broken. Or I am looking at the same section from different angles. The vertical leg of the tower on the side where the deck had moved back seemed to have suffered damage, did it look like that could be from the steel deck support as it slid back?

Also wondering if the horizontal brace failed causing cable damage, or was damaged by the released cable whipping back (seems much more likely?).

Let's not forget Galopping Gertie built in the almighty, all powerful, all wonderful, all perfect yoo-ess-eh?

I think if you cared to investigate closely and review the engineering reports on the Tacoma bridge failure you might see / learn there is a major difference in the mode of failure between these two events.

The I-10 bridge in California that failed was nearly 60 years old.

You can always find a reason to claim that an "engineering misjudgment" back home isn't the same as a "complete and utter incompetent screw-up" here in Thailand.

But they really are the same thing.

It's that 4th Law of Thermodynamics: "Poop happens".

Edited by impulse

This was built 150 YEARS back in S.W. England....coffee1.gif.....Traffic still uses it.

attachicon.gifClifton_Suspension_Bridge.jpg

A completely different style of suspension bridge though. In that one, all the tension is in the cables, and the deck is supported by vertical hangers. In the Pichit bridge, the cables attach at an angle with a force component back toward the bank, so the centre sections of deck support have to be held together quite strongly.

Long way out of my field, in the next ball park 2 suburbs away, but if one cable failed the increased load likely to fail the rest.

Edited by halloween

It was mentioned the contractor was /is being fined as work on the bridge was not completed by specific date of contract agreement??? Wonder if the contrafctor ever paid even a days woth of fine or if he has disappeared over the next hill . Will the fine contine to be calcuated and a running total placed on ''accounts recievable'' as completion is still incomplete and apears it will be so for some time.

Wonder what the daily fine amount was /is? kind of like driving with no liscense 200 baht? Who in their right mind would lets the jokers involved in this high tech work project even allow them within 100 meter of anything mechanical, electrial, any hand tools, etc. or any other item or device that has more than i moving part.?