Glued Ceiling Light and Turning Rawlplus

AyG

I hate the ubiquitous round light fightings with fluorescent tubes, so I decided to replace the light fitting in my study with an LED fitting. I thought it would be straightforward: take the glass off, detach the wires and unscrew the fitting. Needless to say, it wasn't that straightforward: the idiot builder has put some sort of sealant around the rim of the base plate which has stuck like glue to the plasterboard ceiling. Despite my best efforts, the plasterboard is now a torn mess.

I next drilled holes for the rawlplugs to hold the new light fitting. The rawlplugs fitted nice and tightly. In fact I had to tap them with a hammer to get them home. However, when it came to putting the screws in the rawlplugs turn. I'm guessing it's because the ceiling is so thin there's too little contact area to provide sufficient friction. I can't pull them out and put some sort of filler/glue because they have "wings". So, two questions:

(1) What's the best way to remove a light fitting that the builder has sealed to the ceiling? (And why on earth would anyone do that anyway?)

(2) How to stop a rawlplug turning once it's in situ?

Thanks for any tips or pointers.

I'm not sure about what the screw you are talking about looks like?

The best way I can think to remove the light would be with a stanley knife. Slowly try and cut the glue. Sounds like it was glued because it was assumed it could fall off without it??

There's 2 types of screws that work well that I can think of.

That metal spring head style would likely work well.

post-151649-0-89362700-1437548440_thumb.

post-151649-0-72721100-1437548553_thumb.

The plugs looked something like this:

post-55840-0-15970900-1437550710_thumb.j

I either need to remove the plugs (though the "wings" make that difficult), stop them turning (preferred option), or leave them in place and drill new holes for new fixings.

I suspect that in future the best thing will be to cut into the plasterboard around the fitting first so that any tears in the paper coating don't spread beyond the shape of the fitting.

The best way I can think to remove the light would be with a stanley knife. Slowly try and cut the glue. Sounds like it was glued because it was assumed it could fall off without it??

The plugs looked something like this:

attachicon.gifplug.jpg

I either need to remove the plugs (though the "wings" make that difficult), stop them turning (preferred option), or leave them in place and drill new holes for new fixings.

I suspect that in future the best thing will be to cut into the plasterboard around the fitting first so that any tears in the paper coating don't spread beyond the shape of the fitting.

Ok now I know them.

I think you'll have trouble with those plugs. Even if you get them to stop spinning, it won't be a very good fixing.

Maybe ask Crossy what he'd use.

There is another way I can think of.

Make a hole big enough to hold a block of timber above the gyprock then screw that down going up through the gyprock.

Then your light will have a decent place to hang from. It wouldn't hold a heavy light, but something under a kilo it will work no worries.

After the fact for what you have done... but for anybody wanting to do the same, you can get LED plates that fit the normal round F-light. You just need to remove the fittings for the F-light and the LED plate has magnets that will attach to the plate. No need to replace the fixture.

If the ceiling is thin and there is obviously space above, just punch them through the ceiling using something that is the same diameter as the plug. Those plugs are made for concrete. Then use one of the suggested "hollow wall" anchors pictured above. I would pick the metal one pictured in post two. The one Crossy suggested is good but it relys on the little "tits" on the flat part to initially keep the piece from turning and if you have already damage the area around the hole you might have a problem.

And where in Chiang Mai can you buy either of these two fittings? Would save me a trip to Australia if I could get them here along with large size shoes, underpants, socks etc etc. [Did I mention mature cheddar?]

And where in Chiang Mai can you buy either of these two fittings? Would save me a trip to Australia if I could get them here along with large size shoes, underpants, socks etc etc. [Did I mention mature cheddar?]

No idea

HomePro have the ones I linked to earlier, they also have these plastic anchors

1016261.jpg

Thanks Crossy but I have never found a ceiling fitting that I am happy with in Thailand, the two pictured above I have obtained in Australia and the US and find them much better.

• 3 months later...

give me an address and I will send you some free , I have a few hundred of the second type in various sises I suggest you fit the cavity wall fitting and use a washer to set it, ie put the fixing screw in and tightening it to make the blades in the center of the plug fold out. sorry I cant lend u the setting tool as I only have one and there is nowhere in thailand to get one but using a washer and thightening the screw should do the trick, then remove the screw and use it to fit your light

Archived