Are there other European restaurants in Chiang Mai apart from French and Italian?

Saan

I was just reading that the number one restaurant in the world is Spanish and also 5 of the top twenty are Spanish. France has just two in this list.

Wanting to put a bit of variety into my dining experience I'd like to hear if there are other European restaurants in Chiang Mai than French and Italian.

Spanish cuisine is the best IMHO. I lived in Spain and traveled there many times. The food is outstanding. Having said that I've never been to a Spanish restaurant in Thailand.

I've hear Auf der Au (German) is excellent and will be going soon. The German Restaurant by Meechok Plaza is not very good and is not recommended. It's run by a Thai lady who lived in Germany I believe, and is Thai's interpretation of German food. I forget the name but I think it recently had a name change.

Edited by elektrified

German. Auf der Au. There's a website. Excellent buffets.

Thank you for the info. From the pictures on TripAdvisor, the buffet looks very good.

Btw; there is a Danish restaurant at Top North Guest House.

Nordic one on Superhighway frontage road near Big C.

German one in MuBan Thanawan , near Meechok

Molecular cuisine a la El Bulli/Hestor Blumenthal in Hang Dong- Cuisine de Garden

Please can you tell everyone more. El Bulli and Blumenthal are up there in the stratosphere.

Suppose you could describe Indian as European, considering the number of them they have in the UK.

Did you consider the option of "If you've got nothing to say, say nothing"?

Did you? ;)

(And before anyone challenges me with the obvious and creates a perpetual loop: yes, I did consider it. :P )

Suppose you could describe Indian as European, considering the number of them they have in the UK.

Did you consider the option of "If you've got nothing to say, say nothing"?

Then why did you - 'say nothing'?

Spanish one on Tha Pae Gate

Is it any good? I've never heard anything one way, or the other.

Don't forget that UG's major requirement is that the restaurant must be in cycling distance of his hideaway.

Don't forget that UG's major requirement is that the restaurant must be in cycling distance of his hideaway.

I can WALK to this one in about 2 minutes, but the fact that it has been there for years and I've never heard anything - good or bad - worries me.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Spanish popular? A recent phenomena but one cannot walk 3 metres in any major Japanese city without tripping over an Iberico Ham. Rioja and El Patio were both good.

In Chiang Mai we have tried not tried Auf du Aer which looks good. The other German cuisine I had in Chiang Mai was not "inspiring". There is a Swedish restaurant off the Superhighway to Lampang.

I used to enjoy Portuguese cuisine in Newark, NJ. That would be a nice addition. I'm sure you could get a nice "Brazilian" somewhere.

We also seem to lack a proper Greek Taverna, but I guess they are not a permanent part of Europe anyway.

Spanish popular? A recent phenomena but one cannot walk 3 metres in any major Japanese city without tripping over an Iberico Ham. Rioja and El Patio were both good.

In Chiang Mai we have tried not tried Auf du Aer which looks good. The other German cuisine I had in Chiang Mai was not "inspiring". There is a Swedish restaurant off the Superhighway to Lampang.

I used to enjoy Portuguese cuisine in Newark, NJ. That would be a nice addition. I'm sure you could get a nice "Brazilian" somewhere.

We also seem to lack a proper Greek Taverna, but I guess they are not a permanent part of Europe anyway.

There are no Brazilian restaurants here that I am aware of. The hotel offering something with a Brazilian name is not Brazilian cuisine at all.

Swedish food....very lovely people but the food...rather bland is all I can say.

^^^ Ratilanna (On the River) has a Brazilian BBQ Buffet... Has anyone tried it?

Yes. IMO the meat here (beef in particular) is not that good, so I found it disappointing, since that is the focus. However, my buddy really enjoys buffets and he thought it was pretty good.

^^^ Ratilanna (On the River) has a Brazilian BBQ Buffet... Has anyone tried it?

When my friends were here visiting a couple of years ago they went to check it out. My friend's wife is Brazilian. She said she didn't recognize anything that was on offer as being "Brazilian". If you look at the photos you will see it is Thai food and Continental cuisine; i.e.pizza, spinach with cheese, Spaghetti, Caesar salad, cakes, with a little steak on a skewer. They passed and ended up meeting us at the Dukes for dinner.

Brazilian food is fantastic - in Brazil.

I can WALK to this one in about 2 minutes, but the fact that it has been there for years and I've never heard anything - good or bad - worries me.

Because no parking? The stone's throw distance requirement you have is one thing, but everyone else just wants to be able to park a car reasonably close. If it's at Thapae then that's challenging enough to just go 'meh' and motor on a bit.

OR they're tourists, in which case they might just bother to post on Tripadvisor, but not bring it up in person with you or in expat circles like this forum.

I just checked and the reviews are pretty good: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293917-d3460811-r147830286-Rioja_II-Chiang_Mai.html

I guess the additional requirement UG has in addition to being able to walk/peddle over is that someone first has to go find him and tell him about stuff. rolleyes.gif

That's just one stage short of "I only eat it if meals on wheels offers it."

If it was any closer it'd be in your back yard! So why not boldly go where no TV Expat has gone before and try it, then tell us about it?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

For excellent American style food try The Dukes. Great ribs, pizza, burgers, etc. Visit their website for details.

Gee thanks. Meanwhile on the other side of the Atlantic. And that goes for Brazil too.

But what the heck, as long as the food is good and a bit different.

Note to self 'try Dukes'.

Because no parking? The stone's throw distance requirement you have is one thing, but everyone else just wants to be able to park a car reasonably close.

There is plenty of parking right around the corner, so there goes that theory and I can get to plenty of places of my bicycle or a Songteaw if necessary.

I don't trust Trip Advisor. There are too many fake reviews and I don't know anything about the people making them. I have a pretty good idea about most of the reviewers on the TV Chiang Mai forum.

Because no parking? The stone's throw distance requirement you have is one thing, but everyone else just wants to be able to park a car reasonably close.

There is plenty of parking right around the corner, so there goes that theory and I can get to plenty of places of my bicycle or a Songteaw if necessary.

I don't trust Trip Advisor. There are too many fake reviews and I don't know anything about the people making them. I have a pretty good idea about most of the reviewers on the TV Chiang Mai forum.

Please tell me where there is parking near Tha Phae Gate.