7/11 shops too close to each other

Asiantravel

Whoever pays, the customer, the franchisee or both, CP will make their profit!

When my wife takes my son, not quite 2 years old, to the local 7-11 he always asks for "shausage" ......... biggrin.png

I wouldn't feed a dog on what they sell in those places, let alone a child.

Just to compare, that sausage will cost you 3 to 4 times what a good brand sausage costs in western Europe. Than realize that CP owns the whole chain from the pigs food to the shop where the sausage is sold, their profits are beyond what you can imagine!

Why? Because there is no competition and these family companies rule the market and the whole country.

What's the big deal? Don't buy the sausages then.... I don't think people who buy sausage snacks at 7Eleven are worried about the price comparison with butchers. It's rather irrelevant. These people aren't interested in buying kilo quantities of sausages to save money - and then go home to cook them LOL.

The way I see it, it's a win-win situation. The company makes huge profits and we get extreme convenience, unlike the world has ever seen... and at supermarket prices too. What's there not to love about the convenience stores in Pattaya? I even get ATM's on every block. I can pay my bills on every block.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever pays, the customer, the franchisee or both, CP will make their profit!

When my wife takes my son, not quite 2 years old, to the local 7-11 he always asks for "shausage" ......... biggrin.png

I wouldn't feed a dog on what they sell in those places, let alone a child.

I gave some 7-11 sausages to a couple of soi dogs that hang around bali hai lighthouse and even they wouldn't eat themgiggle.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

7-11 exclusivity is not the same in Thailand as in other countries

There appears to be no protection for the franchisee from the company since the main 7-11 distributor appears to be able to compete directly wherever they want, exclusivity does not appear to be a requirement over here since it is obviously not enforced

I think you're right. In the US a franchisee buys a protected territory as he does with fast food, etc. On 7/11's US site there are disclaimers and asterisks making it clear that there aren't the same controls in other countries.

7/11 is very old and grew throughout the US. Now there are at least twice as many stores outside the US as there are in the US. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that 7/11 wishes it hadn't sold the rights it did and instead sold franchise rights to individuals to maintain control. If the investors in Thailand go belly up with some stores due to overcrowding, I guess that will be their problem and not that of the parent company.

Cheers.

My wife came to the US & was utterly flabbergasted that we had 7-11's also. She was quite certain they had been invented in Thailand.

The whole idea of the convenience store started here. They were originally open from 7:00 AM to 11:00 PM, hence the name. 7-11.

I was a very young kid but I remember the TV commercials in the early 70's when they first started.

She was a lot of fun to embarrass in Indiana. I once commented loudly (in Thai) to her about a very obese lady at Walmart.

Pom pooey maak maak la?

She tried to melt into the floor. She was the only person within 500 miles that understood what I was saying.

Shame on you! That's pretty bad form and rather childish, making fun of an obese person, even if you think they can't understand you. One day that could get you into trouble - assuming that no one can understand Thai. Even people with a very basic understanding of Thai know those words and who's to know she hasn't got a brother or another family member married to a Thai. How do you know she hasn't been on vacation here?

Yes, because in Thai culture you would never call somebody fat straight to their face. Lighten up Francis.

Yes, because in Thai culture you would never call somebody fat straight to their face. Lighten up Francis.

You're confused. The post was about an American person making fun of a fat lady in the US and then gloating about it on this forum. What did it have to do with Thai culture?.... but now that you mentioned it Francis, in which culture is it acceptable to make fun of fat people straight to their face?

Thais do call people what they see.. Fat, Thin Black. The P.C. Disease has yet to reach here. But then there's no malice behind their clear observation

Do you not realise that the name calling incident happened in the US and the name caller was an American? What does this have to do with name calling in Thailand? His Thai wife was extremely embarrassed too, so maybe she is a PC Thai? My goodness, has the "P.C. Disease" reached Thailand, or do you just get around with low-class Thai people?