Action required to 'stop sinking of Bangkok'

webfact

If Bangkok was in real danger of sinking do you think people would still be buying properties worth million now to see them submerged in sea water? No one believes this sounds to me more like urban myth.

No myth, it's been so for a very long time. The evidence is there to see, around 30mm per year as I recall. Maybe those people are unaware or are relying on the government to do something.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A barrier dam from Chon Buri to Prachuap Khiri Khan, covering 100+ nautical miles, oh please! But I suppose they could always put a road on top and not have to bother with the ferry. And all this for a Bt500 million.

Bt500 Billion

Yep ---- 500 billion baht, but this would include the water barrier on the Chao Phraya. The guys in UK who operate the Thames water barrier have figured out a neat way of controlling flooding upstream on the Thames watershed. They basically close the barrier at low tide, and let the resulting lake behind the barrier to fill. When the next low tide is due, they simply open the barrier, and the ''lake'' empties into the sea. Very neat!

Dam? I think they mean dyke? If the Dutch could do it hundreds of years it not beyond Thais in modern times? Thus its a matter of good planning and having a long term plan? Previous attempts have been opportunities for graft, short term, etc?

Edited by MaiChai

Such a vast area to protect even the Venetian or Dutch experts I suspect would be challenged, let alone the buffoons calling themselves experts in Thailand.

They should make steps to relocate the capital over the next 30 years.

Udon Thani would be a good bet. Close to China and on the super duper Chinese dual track hyper speed new train set the General is wants to expand his personal coffers. It is around 160 meters above MSL. It is full of nice people, the majority of whom are not interbred with those slitty eyed Chinese folk like Bangkokians. It is a lot further from Pattaya and last but not least - unlike Bangkok, there is and never will be a water shortage unless the Mekong dries up. It gets my vote.