Action required to 'stop sinking of Bangkok'

webfact

BANGKOK
'Action required to stop sinking of the Capital'

Prapasri Osathanon
The Nation

30265021-01_big.jpg?1437602839226

BANGKOK: -- THE NATIONAL Reform Council (NRC) was told yesterday that parts of Bangkok and nearby provinces were at great risk of sinking in the next 15 years if no action is taken to prevent it.

The government has been urged to set up a national panel to handle the problem of rising tides and land subsidence, implement solutions and promote public participation.

Wittaya Kulsomboon, chairman of the NRC panel on preparation for rising tides and land subsidence in Bangkok, cited the committee's report that the area was 0.5-2 metres above sea level and there had been a rapid urban growth and increase in population. Combined with natural sinking, the subsidence was accelerated by the high and prolonged use of underground water and the weight of tall buildings. He said Bangkok had some 700 buildings more than 20 storeys high and 4,000 buildings eight to 20 storeys high.

Wittaya said many electric train lines also aggravated the risk of sinking into the sea to parts of Bangkok and its vicinity areas in future. It could even necessitate the relocation of the capital city, he warned. The NRC discussed and voted to acknowledge the report and have the committee review it before proposing to the Cabinet in seven days.

Sucharit Koontanakulvong, a panel member and water-engineering expert, said preventive measures included control over underwater usage, and a city plan to regulate control of tall buildings. As the Gulf of Thailand sees rising tides each year, an idea has been floated to build a barrier dam from Chon Buri to Prachuap Khiri Khan, which could require Bt500 billion, he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Action-required-to-stop-sinking-of-the-Capital-30265021.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-23

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A barrier dam from Chon Buri to Prachuap Khiri Khan, covering 100+ nautical miles, oh please! But I suppose they could always put a road on top and not have to bother with the ferry. And all this for a Bt500 million.

UH, are the dams built better than the bridges?

I think they may be on to something here.......did they just figure this out?

Anyway, a study tour to Vienna would do them good me thinks....

And what makes someone a water engineering expert? a degree from Chula?

Edited by AlQaholic

Action? lol

This ought to be entertaining.

Yes, you know, action!

The kind of action that needs meetings after meetings that have a constant supply of bad coffee and stale, soggy biscuits only punctuated by calls to business partners, `kiks` and lovers, not forgetting the Line and Face Book messages of course.

That`s action, real action.

I am amazed that idiots still purchase condos even though they must know the place is sinking.

Vienna sinks too.....great tourist destination.....and it doesn't stink anymore....sink stink get it? harharhar

Edited by AlQaholic

Let her go! It will be the Venice of the East and they can swop Tuk tuk's for long boats which can be the Gondolas of the East. The best part is that it needs zero action and will all happen naturally. The floating market is about to undergo a massive expansion.

I am amazed that idiots still purchase condos even though they must know the place is sinking.

Vienna sinks too.....great tourist destination.....and it doesn't stink anymore....sink stink get it? harharhar

Vienna or Venice? Methinks you should stay off the turps 555

Action required... hhhhmmmmh... coffee1.gif another "shut down Bangkok" maybe? gigglem.gif

The only "action" that would stop swamp land with skyscrapers built on it from sinking would be to return it to its original state (remove all structures) and plant mangrove trees. Will be very interesting to see how many millions or billions of money will be wasted on "sink stop" attempts that are doomed to fail anyway... Money that better could have been used to build schools, hospitals, orphanages, homes for the elderly, homes for disabled, etc. along with support programs for farmers and reforestation programs.

I think they may be on to something here.......did they just figure this out?

Anyway, a study tour to Vienna would do them good me thinks....

And what makes someone a water engineering expert? a degree from Chula?

I think the water engineering expert degree exam in LOS requires:

1) Manual flushing of a public toilet using the flush handle/button provided.

2) Manual flushing of a public toilet under distress - using secondary tools (i.e. water bucket, empty water bottle, etc.).

3) Written essay on the pros and cons of using toilet paper.

So if the weight of the buildings is causing the city to sink, that isn't going away EVER. Even if they stop building now it will not stop what is already happening from the existing buildings. If drawing too much water out of the ground is part of the cause of the sinking, well that isn't going to stop either. Building a barrier dam may do something for high tides (and that's a big maybe), but it will do nothing for the continued sinking of the city.

The only solution is to gradually move the city or somehow get a huge city size raft under the city to support it. Don't see anything like that happening at all and I really don't see them slowing this down.

Bye, bye Bangkok. sorry.gif

How about putting the brakes on unlimited development / new construction, especially high rise buildings that are not only heavy but whose tenants also suck more water out of the ground. If Bangkok is really going to be serious about this problem, what bigger Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) consideration could they possibly have? But of course that would limit profits & back handers associated with unlimited development.

Vienna or Venice? Never mind. All a bit late now. And a fair bit more difficult than a barrier across the Thames.

But build the megadyke and you could have thousands more prawn farms - then rename the saved city to Kung Thep!

Perhaps a premium-priced limited-edition amulet or wrist-band might do-the-trick ? whistling.gif

Or, back in the real world, a firm decision to build a new capital on higher ground, over the very-long-term ? wink.png

Ricardo, I was just thinking the same thing.

Bangkok, if it is sinking, is a lost cause.

Best to spend whatever money they planned to stop BKK sinking on a new city inland and on higher ground.

...with decent roads, transport and infrastructure.

Great excuse to leave "old BKK" to the tourists and lower income and move to a spanking new city....with foreign investment.