Phuket taxi mafia

laban

For all the mafia cleaning up in Phuket over the last 12 months, it seems all is back to normal with the taxi mafia.

I have visited Phuket twice in the last 2 months, and the amount of taxis and their touts has doubled. Patong beach road and Rat U Thit road are jammed with taxis, not one parking spot. As you walk out of your hotel, along any road and all around Jungceylon the taxi touts are there hassling every visitor.

Was this clean up a flash in the pan, a show that the army was going to take on a few people and make Phuket a better experience for the tourist. It shows the mafia is more powerful than the General!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was no clean-up.

In fact, in recent times, the "association" and "clubs" have seen their numbers increase.

In my opinion, the transport situation on Phuket is the main reason western tourists are now detouring Phuket, and the reason why the traffic is terrible here, and a major cause of many serious road accidents, leading to serious injury and death.

Indeed. It's not like people can't see the gazillion tuk-tuks parked at the side of the roads and if they want one, ask. Gets tiresome walking along and every 2 minutes "tuk-tuk taxi". "oh yeah, I knew I was looking for something, couldn't recall what it was, it was a taxi so I could go to XXXX. Thanks so much for pointing them out".

Edited by Pick of Penang

The "clean up" was just the police using the coop to put the drivers back in their place after embarrassing them over the previous 6 months with the Patong and Airport blockades. Once the message was received and a certain powerful individual died, things went back to normal

Edited by Lashay

I live in the middle of Patong and there never was ny clea up at all. Just BS talking.

The only thing they really did and messed up with this action, was taking the chairs off hte beach.

Obviously, the chair rental company's offers haven't been good enough. Jet Skis paid better...

After Tuk Tuk's its the Advertising Pick up's for Thai Boxing which are responsible for Traffic jam's.

Which is the same guy that owned the unregistered, unlicensed, uninsured bungy jump that killed a Kuwaiti guy recently. He still hasn't been punished and probably won't get more than a slap on the wrist. What a piece of work this guy is!

In the meantime, the preposterous sight of SUV's and other expensive cars emblazoned with taxi logos can now be seen everywhere charging even more than tuktuks, with a 'meter' taxi or two joining in just for show.

Edited by dageurreotype

800 Bahts to go to the airport in patong... What a shame but people here thinks it's ok like that, more tourists will come anyway...

Same Same in Bangkok, all the hype, report the taxi's that refuse to use the meter has gone no where, Soi 11 Sukumvit is the same as it always as, he taxi's took a holiday for awhile, but came back in full force - Taxi to Swampy is never by meter, they threaten any other taxi hat picks up anyone on the road, 'high quality Arab, S Asian" tourists paying 1200 baht to go to the airport for a 300 baht fare.

They re-educated all the taxi and tuk-tuk drivers in a new program. All the drivers went to either India or Bangladesh to learn how to conduct there business.

They didn't go to bangladesh,

they were not accepted by the IQ test !!

800 Bahts to go to the airport in patong... What a shame but people here thinks it's ok like that, more tourists will come anyway...

Same Same in Bangkok, all the hype, report the taxi's that refuse to use the meter has gone no where, Soi 11 Sukumvit is the same as it always as, he taxi's took a holiday for awhile, but came back in full force - Taxi to Swampy is never by meter, they threaten any other taxi hat picks up anyone on the road, 'high quality Arab, S Asian" tourists paying 1200 baht to go to the airport for a 300 baht fare.

if arabs have to pay 5.000,- that would be a good start !

Or you never been there in an arabic country to see, how you ripped off there !!

Yep, never changed anything really in Patong, you dare to try parking up in front of Jungceylon in the 'Public Parking spaces' lol... Hey no park there, then gesticulates to go left around the mall to basement car park, as been said what with Tuks Tuks taking up every inch of available real estate, Thai Boxing pick ups mooching around the main drags at 5mph and the farsicle one way system, a four year old could work a better traffic flow than how Patong has now been for years... Total JOKE!!

You could have a far more interesting, enjoyable and relaxing time in NY, Paris, Prague or many other worldclass destinations for a fraction of the price it now costs to do anything in Phuket. Apart from the highly priced sex/bar industry it dosnt really have a lot to offer. Taxis is just a small part of the problem.....such a shame, 10 years ago was a lovely place but post tsunami its got greedy.

to all u who say Phuket never again

you will not be missed

You obviously do not have a business here.

Perhaps when you can no longer get some of the "farang luxuries" you are used to here, and all the resturants are Chinese, you may feel differently.

If Taxis were like Bangkok, i would not have a Car or even drive, as it scares me, i hate driving anywhere in ''Thailand''..

but i need a car, to get around the island... and i never relish going out in it....

Would much prefer just to hale a ''Taxi''...