Suvarnabhumi customs to provide duty charge paying service through credit or debit cards

webfact

Customs Department to provide customs charge paying service through credit and debit cards

BANGKOK, 24 July 2015, (NNT) - The Customs Department will start offering customs charge paying service through credit and debit cards at the customs office in Suvarnabhumi International Airport from September 1st, 2015 onward.

Customs Department Director-General Dr. Somchai Sujjapongse said his department signed a Memorandum of Understanding on providing the service with Krung Thai Bank Pcl. and Kasikorn Bank Pcl.

He said the service would greatly facilitate the tax paying process, providing tax payers with another easy channel to customs charges paying.

Passengers subjected to pay customs charges would be able to do so through either credit or debit cards from September 1st, 2015, onward at Suvarnabhumi International Airport. The service will eventually be extended to other airport customs offices and customs offices along the border provinces at a later date.

The department aims at recruiting other commercial banks to join the campaign.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-24 footer_n.gif

They must have figured out a way to link the credit card payments to their personal bank accounts.

Heheee. This may make it hard for them to ask for bribes until you arrive and they tell you they can't find your shipment or are too busy to look for your stuff... Then it is back to business as usual I guess....

OK, the topic I want to read is how much is duty? I'd think I could bring in extra cigarettes, cigars, or liquor if I just pay some 'x' amount tax , right ? I'd also think this 'x' amount is written down not thought up on the spot.

Last year I was pulled over exiting the green customs line for a random search. I had 6 boxes of 500g Golden Virginia bought duty free in Dubai. Customs said because there was no Thai stamp on it would ALL be confiscated AND a fine of 30000 baht....

This could only be paid in cash and an officer accompanied me to the atm

Imagine paying that at the start of your holiday, I wasn't too pleased. The Mrs said they would deffo keep the tobacco for themselves

So I'm thinking ithis announcement about Sept 1 is typically about these sort of ' fines ' as well can be paid by card

Last year I was pulled over exiting the green customs line for a random search. I had 6 boxes of 500g Golden Virginia bought duty free in Dubai. Customs said because there was no Thai stamp on it would ALL be confiscated AND a fine of 30000 baht....

This could only be paid in cash and an officer accompanied me to the atm

Imagine paying that at the start of your holiday, I wasn't too pleased. The Mrs said they would deffo keep the tobacco for themselves

So I'm thinking ithis announcement about Sept 1 is typically about these sort of ' fines ' as well can be paid by card

3 kg of tobacco on holiday blink.png

OK, the topic I want to read is how much is duty? I'd think I could bring in extra cigarettes, cigars, or liquor if I just pay some 'x' amount tax , right ? I'd also think this 'x' amount is written down not thought up on the spot.

They'll probably show you the numbers written in Thai.

Luckily, after probably close to 100 or so trips thru Thai customs, I've only been stopped twice. Once my luggage went thru an X-Ray machine & once they opened a couple toolboxes I had for work.

By design, I had nothing to hide, but you do raise an interesting question if I DID want to declare something.

Probably a lot cheaper than getting caught out though.

I once tried to get a VAT refund on a laptop.

Real nice guy spent about 10 minutes going thru my passport & said "No can do",,,,,,I'd been in the country more than 180 days that year.

Fair enough.

They'll probably show you the numbers written in Thai.

Luckily, after probably close to 100 or so trips thru Thai customs, I've only been stopped twice. Once my luggage went thru an X-Ray machine & once they opened a couple toolboxes I had for work.

By design, I had nothing to hide, but you do raise an interesting question if I DID want to declare something.

Probably a lot cheaper than getting caught out though.

I once tried to get a VAT refund on a laptop.

Real nice guy spent about 10 minutes going thru my passport & said "No can do",,,,,,I'd been in the country more than 180 days that year.

Fair enough.

You can return to USA with one (1) liter of liquor 'duty free'. That means you can bring more, just pay the duty. You can bring back more just pay the couple of dollars per bottle 'duty'. They usually don't bother with the time it takes for them to fill out the paperwork and take your few measly dollars, it takes more of their time than it is worth. Just be sure to declare the extra on your entry declaration so that you aren't 'smuggling'.

I was hoping that Thailand had the same, bring in more but declare it and pay the duty. The duty should be alot less than the penalty.