U.S.B and 12V Power Outlet.

Vogele123

I have just fitted a combined 12V (Cigarette type socket) with 5V U.S.B Socket to my bike handlebars and wanted to be sure that there were no issues with the way I wired it.

I know it would be better to have the entire socket isolated and switched off when I remove the key, however, I did not want to go and splice or fiddle with any of the existing wiring.

I have connected the +ve and -ve of the main 12V supply to the battery terminals and ran the wiring attached to the frame under the fairings. I fitted a 3 Amp fuse in line with the +ve terminal.

Do you think this is sufficient? It has protection but is still live with the bike key removed, the only other thing I was thinking of doing is fitting a toggle switch somewhere close to the battery so I could isolate it, is it worth doing or not?

Cheers.

I just spliced a wire to the headlight. Easy

I just get paranoid poking around with the original wiring - it is so neatly sealed! Besides, I fitted my headlight out with an Osram Nightbreaker Plus which takes it from 35W/35W to 55W/65W, so I really don't want to risk losing my headlight at night, especially if it came down to a bad connection on a USB. I would hate to lose the ability to singe and scar the retinas of the ignorant Thai bastards that drive with their hi beam on all the time. Unfortunately, I don't think the CBR can handle the Nightbreaker Unlimited 100/110W

Edited by Vogele123

I just spliced a wire to the headlight. Easy

I just get paranoid poking around with the original wiring - it is so neatly sealed! Besides, I fitted my headlight out with an Osram Nightbreaker Plus which takes it from 35W/35W to 55W/65W, so I really don't want to risk losing my headlight at night, especially if it came down to a bad connection on a USB. I would hate to lose the ability to singe and scar the retinas of the ignorant Thai bastards that drive with their hi beam on all the time. Unfortunately, I don't think the CBR can handle the Nightbreaker Unlimited 100/110W

You should have looked at the LED option. I/5 of the power consumption and just about the same level of light.

I hooked mine straight to the battery similar to yours. Went away for a month and the battery was completely flat, had to buy a new battery.

Local Mechanic also broke the USB( shorted it somehow), inline fuse still intact but no power from the outlet. I completely tested it all with a multimeter.

Ended up just buying a 12v cigarette plug usb from 7 eleven 199 baht, soldering an inline fuse and two wires to it and running it to the licence plate light. Plug sits under the seat.

Bought a 1 meter USB extension lead for 50 baht, Which I ran up the side of the bike to the handle bars.

Could have bought off the shelf for 700baht from a motorbike shop, But 7 eleven was a 2 min walk way for the parts.

post-92327-14378903684653_thumb.jpg

I hooked mine straight to the battery similar to yours. Went away for a month and the battery was completely flat, had to buy a new battery.

Local Mechanic also broke the USB( shorted it somehow), inline fuse still intact but no power from the outlet. I completely tested it all with a multimeter.

Ended up just buying a 12v cigarette plug usb from 7 eleven 199 baht, soldering an inline fuse and two wires to it and running it to the licence plate light. Plug sits under the seat.

Bought a 1 meter USB extension lead for 50 baht, Which I ran up the side of the bike to the handle bars.

Could have bought off the shelf for 700baht from a motorbike shop, But 7 eleven was a 2 min walk way for the parts.

attachicon.gif20150722_115553.jpg

I bought mine from E bay, it is a 12V lighter socket and a combined USB, connects direct to the battery but has an inline fuse too.

I checked it out with a multimeter today, the 5Volt USB is fine as it is regulated, however, the 12V Cigarette socket is about 12.7 before you start the motor, once the generator kicks in with the engine fired up it is actually running at 14.7V.

I guess you could do an ass about face with a plug in lighter plug and use the socket to connect a battery tender?

The other thing I noticed was that it was rated at 12V / 5V 1 Amp, however when I pulled the inline fuse apart the actual fuse is a 10 Amp / 250V!

So it is going to take a bit of a jolt before it burns out. (I believe that the OP cannot reply as he has been banned for a week)