Thai govt uses special power to stop youth drinking, racing

Jonathan Fairfield

All are talking about "schools" and universities may I have a misunderstanding. I thought it's Tertiary schools, Universties and Vocational Schools. That mean many 7/11 can still selling alcohol and no ban in the villages. Right ?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid law, only making a mockery of the existing laws and even more, the police. There are students drinking all over Bangkok every day and night. If the sellers of alcohol were forced to ask for ID for everyone that looks remotely around their 15 to 25 age group and then if selling liquor have fines which mean something like 100,000 baht and 3 months jail and suspension of trading license for 5 years, then they might?? get somewhere. Also more frequent police presence where under age drinkers tend to congregate. Probably have to triple the police force though.

I just bought a 12-pack of beer in Georgia not an hour ago.

The cashier's register sings out a merry song of "Hey! Check that ID" whenever I buy tobacco or booze.

In some places here the cash register won't work if they don't punch in a date of birth on the above items.

------------

I had a crazy old friend that lived in a shack & used to shoot cockroaches with a .45 pistol.

This "Law" reminds me of him.

How about offering alternative entertainment. Youth centers, sports and rec centers, community centers, skate bowls etc. Nothing. Community and social awareness does not go beyond the Wat. It is bureaucratic negligence that this occurs. The powers that be, DO NOT CARE. They have no social conscience, and simply have no experience or concern in the betterment of the community. /RANT

That would take too much real EFFORT my dear.

It would require proper planning and worst of all - it would create jobs, and cause the government to spend money.

How terribly unrealistic and foolish of you to dream up such an impractical notion.

Why not think of a plan/idea that would show how much the country CARES for it's newer generations?

To prevent street racing, ban any car with more than 30 hp as measured by government testing centers.

This creates a new revenue stream (inspection fee), employs hundreds (manning the testing centers and beauracracy) and keep fast cars off the road, making for less traffic too.

win, win win.