Bangla thugs threaten expat police volunteers, expose lack of police presence

Lite Beer

Ok .. brilliant on his part, I wonder how may he "helped' find his hotel?

The answer is precisely zero people in 10 years of working as a TPV, since it would be unethical for me to promote my hotel whilst in uniform.

See that word 'unethical'? You know what it means?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Telling Thais to move on - when your a foreigner wearing some costume in their country, without any power in reality

We don't know in what manner the foreign volunteer told them to move on, and whether he spoke to them in Thai or not. Since the volunteer was presumably aware of the lack of colleague 'back-up', that scenario should have been a major input as to whether or not he told the Thais to move on, and how he spoke to them. But in any case, a Thai officer really would be better-equipped to deal with this scenario.

I suggest that a curt instruction in English (or Thai) to tell them to move on would not be the best choice. Rather, a friendly chat in Thai about how they were waking up all the sleeping policemen in the area might be a better approach.

As an aside, it is many years since I patrolled in Bangla Road. I was proud of the fact that in all the potentially violent situations that I dealt with - mostly involving too much alcohol and Russians, I was able to diffuse the situation purely by talking, and never by physical action.

I stopped patrolling in Patong because I realized that sooner or later, some drunk would hit me, and the Thai Tourist Police medical insurance scheme was offered free to Thai volunteers, but not available in any form to foreign police volunteers.

Now the highlight of my patrols at the airport are to deal with antisocial use by Chinese tour groups of large, fold out maps of the island cheesy.gif

the Thai Tourist Police medical insurance scheme was offered free to Thai volunteers, but not available in any form to foreign police volunteers

Yet still they "wanabe" cops cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif .

Do they not get that the Thai police are just using them, but have no respect for them? If they did, they'd be insuring them.

Do they not get that the Thai police are just using them, but have no respect for them

That is probably true, (maybe make that totally true!).

But that doesn't mean one should refuse to help when a foreigner or tourist is in need of assistance. Better that the tourist receive some help from a volunteer than no help at all.

Do they not get that the Thai police are just using them, but have no respect for them

That is probably true, (maybe make that totally true!).

But that doesn't mean one should refuse to help when a foreigner or tourist is in need of assistance. Better that the tourist receive some help from a volunteer than no help at all.

I'd agree if they were in a place available to ALL tourists, not just Bangla and Pattaya's Walking St, and were not dressed like policemen.

Explain to me the advantage of volunteering as a pseudo-cop? Because otherwise there isn't sufficient opportunity to mingle with the criminal element?

I think the advantage is that these volunteers can legally take their psychoses for a walk down busy streets, most of them having huge bunches of keys dangling on chains in full visual sight, with the feeling they can exert authority over others under the guise of legitimacy. In Pattaya they actually tried to obtain the right to carry firearms, a try that was luckily shot down in flames. Little hitlers most of them, but there must be a few genuine ones who,s only motive is to help :)

Sir....Either your ignorance as to what constitutes an R.T.P. Liaison Officer (comprised of volunteer ex-pats) is showing or you are just being offensive! The expat police volunteers are in a formal relationship with the Royal Thai Police as R.T.P. Liaison Officers, In addition to being readily available to answer the many questions which the foreign visitor may have, fulfill a very important function in that they act as a liaison between non-Thai speaking "foreigners" and the Thai RTP officers, usually as a result of the said "foreigner" more often than not being in an inebriated state and having done something that, without the aid of the Volunteer, could easily result in the "offender" spending the night in a Thai jail, not a pleasant place at all!! They are not "cowboys" or "wannabees" and have been carefully screened before being accepted as a Liaison Officer. Many are retired police officers with extensive service in their home country and have a desire to GIVE something to both the country in which they have chosen to reside and to the visiting tourists or any other non-Thai speaking person who is in need of help. "Playing Hardy Boys"...such a frivolous and undeserved comment! In this case, from the reports provided, the volunteer was doing precisely what he or she is expected to do, no more and no less. Drunks are one thing...a common item to be found on Bangla Road and are treated with respect by the volunteers. There is absolutely no indication or suggestion that this officer was acting in any way inappropriately, (S)he witnessed the infractions and, informing them as to the nature of their transgression, ASKED them to move on, as is the volunteer's job to do. Drunken thugs out to pick a fight are fortunately a rarity...most people, drunk or sober are out for a good time..good meaning happy! Not, as was the case with these thugs, a group of drunken low-lifes who are a disgrace to themselves and their country of origin. They constitute a disruptive and hazardous presence, a presence which runs counter to the safety and well-being of those decent folks who deserve the protection of both the Thai RTP officers and the Volunteers who donate their time and efforts to make it a safer place.....even for people such as yourself who deride what most decent people would find commendable.

I wonder how many of these angels of mercy, selflessly giving their time to the community in order to smooth the path of the hapless tourist would continue their mission of humble yet heroic service if their orgnisation were to become an adjunct of the Tourism Authority rather than the RTP, the uniform was a sarong and flower garlands were the only equipment they were allowed to brandish?

From the job description you provide there is nothing which would prevent them from carrying out the exact same functions under the arm of the TAT...

...the uniform was a sarong and flower garlands were the only equipment they were allowed to brandish?

Would I need to have SRS (sex re-assignment surgery) as well?

Apart from the fact that I look fairly ugly in a sarong, I'd have no problems with your suggestion. But I suspect that I might be in the minority who take up your offer

Trying to bring the thread back on-topic:

The serious part of this thread is the lack of police support for the foreign volunteers. This has been mentioned in previous TPV threads.

I now assume that there will be no (or very tardy) support from the Thai police, if I need assistance in an incident, and this affects how I might deal with a situation.

The volunteers are spread very thinly, and in regions such as the north of Phuket, (where I am based), I have to work alone, with no back-up. (The last time that I called for back-up, it took 2 hours to arrive.....)

My thoughts on these police volunteers on Phuket.

I consider them to have been proportionally way over represented in the court lists - murder, drug dealing and extortion are some of the notable offenses. Also, in several threads on Thaivisa posters have complained about some characters stopping vehicles and demanding money. I've also heard, from the first person, about one guy at a suburban Police station who sought a large bribe to make a difficult situation go away. And, of course, there was that Scandinavian nut case who painted his vehicle up to look like a police car and convinced himself he was an officer of the law. He was more humorous than sinister!

As far as I'm aware, I've only met one of these volunteers, a character who was a friend of a friend, who joined our table for Sunday lunch.

Seeing his rolled up sleeves on his short sleeved shirt, and a set of handcuffs on his belt, I formed an immediate impression about his character that was confirmed as the lunch evolved. I pointed out to him that I often had to carry handcuffs in my former job, but never once felt the need to take them to a Sunday lunch with friends, why did he? He couldn't give a reasonable answer.

He regaled the table with tales of his exotic exploits, and was unaware that everyone was smirking at him behind his back..

I guess he also wasn't aware that you can find comprehensive lists, on line, of everyone who has ever summited Everest, and that I'm just the sort of anal person who is going to check such claims!

At the end, when I said I was picking up the tab, he almost broke a fetlock in his haste to get to the bar to grab another glass of red, despite still having half a glass in front of him. On departure, he didn't bother to thank me for the free lunch.

These volunteers also didn't help their image, in my eyes, when they were pictured on Bangla during the coup helping the soldiers to enforce curfew. When a group of soldiers with automatic weapons indicate you should go back to your hotel, an interpreter in fancy uniform is unnecessary! In my opinion, they shouldn't have been there getting involved in local politics.

In summary, I think that people who wish to volunteer to help tourists should be attached to the tourism authority, as suggested by another poster. Only genuine people without the god complex would then get involved.

Footnote: Simon has made his life an open book on these forums over the years, and I consider him to be as honest as his qualifications are long, and if all these quasi police volunteers were in his mould, we wouldn't have any reason to discuss them here in this manner.

Trying to bring the thread back on-topic:

The serious part of this thread is the lack of police support for the foreign volunteers. This has been mentioned in previous TPV threads.

I now assume that there will be no (or very tardy) support from the Thai police, if I need assistance in an incident, and this affects how I might deal with a situation.

The volunteers are spread very thinly, and in regions such as the north of Phuket, (where I am based), I have to work alone, with no back-up. (The last time that I called for back-up, it took 2 hours to arrive.....)

I hope that any you help are appreciative of it, but why oh why do you persist when the Thai police make it clear they don't care about you?

I came to Thailand long before there were any TPVs and never felt in need of such. Why have things changed so much? Are more tourists getting into trouble, are they unsavoury characters now ( if they are, why would you help them )?

Are more tourists getting into trouble, are they unsavoury characters now ( if they are, why would you help them )?

Your last phrase sums up (for me), that you have completely misunderstand about being a TPV.

A police volunteer (in any country) should not 'pick and choose' which incidents to deal with - you must deal with both good and bad, including unsavoury characters.

My incident yesterday involved a mentally ill tourist who had soiled her clothes and body, and I had to gently manhandle her for her own safety, getting covered in sh*t in the process. Did I enjoy doing that? Heck no! Would there be anyone else willing to help? Heck no? Would I rather be sitting on the beach drinking a cold beer? Heck YES!

I know that some other TPVs (not naming!) would refuse to deal with such a scenario. That's up to them, but IMHO, it goes totally against why one volunteers to help foreigners. Just because the Thai police refuse or are unavailable to help, does not mean that the expat should refuse to be a TPV.

2 'wrongs' don't make a right...

Are more tourists getting into trouble, are they unsavoury characters now ( if they are, why would you help them )?

Your last phrase sums up (for me), that you have completely misunderstand about being a TPV.

A police volunteer (in any country) should not 'pick and choose' which incidents to deal with - you must deal with both good and bad, including unsavoury characters.

My incident yesterday involved a mentally ill tourist who had soiled her clothes and body, and I had to gently manhandle her for her own safety, getting covered in sh*t in the process. Did I enjoy doing that? Heck no! Would there be anyone else willing to help? Heck no? Would I rather be sitting on the beach drinking a cold beer? Heck YES!

I know that some other TPVs (not naming!) would refuse to deal with such a scenario. That's up to them, but IMHO, it goes totally against why one volunteers to help foreigners. Just because the Thai police refuse or are unavailable to help, does not mean that the expat should refuse to be a TPV.

I was asking why TPVs are necessary now as opposed to when I first came to LOS, just wondering if there were more unsavoury characters about to need them.

As for the not picking and choosing, it's why I'd never be one. I'd never be able to wear a uniform and ignore the child abuse going on every night on Pattaya's Walking St, as the TPVs do, but that would cause a problem as the police allow it.

I wouldn't need to be a TPV to help a mentally ill person that needed help, as long as they weren't violent, I'd just do it. BTW have you been trained in how to safely handle patients? I hope so. I hope you wore gloves as well, as if you had a cut on your hands you could get infected. Hepatitis isn't fun.

However, good on you for your service.

I was asking why TPVs are necessary now as opposed to when I first came to LOS, just wondering if there were more unsavoury characters about to need them.

As for the not picking and choosing, it's why I'd never be one. I'd never be able to wear a uniform and ignore the child abuse going on every night on Pattaya's Walking St, as the TPVs do, but that would cause a problem as the police allow it.

I wouldn't need to be a TPV to help a mentally ill person that needed help, as long as they weren't violent, I'd just do it. BTW have you been trained in how to safely handle patients? I hope so. I hope you wore gloves as well, as if you had a cut on your hands you could get infected. Hepatitis isn't fun.

However, good on you for your service.

The fact that you did not need them when you first came foes not mean they were not needed.

BTW have you been trained in how to safely handle patients? I hope so. I hope you wore gloves as well, as if you had a cut on your hands you could get infected. Hepatitis isn't fun.

At the risk of sounding a little rude 'This is not Kansas (Dorothy)'.

I'm aware of the risks and very much aware of the limitations in training and equipment. I have had First Responder training, (not by the police - at my own cost). I am aware of the risk of infection and I am responsible for my own actions.

I wish there was more practical training and support for the TPVs. I know from many years of working as a TPV that I am more likely to be made Pope. smile.png

Getting back on-topic (again), it is important that foreign volunteers are not lulled into a false sense of security ==> believing that if they call for assistance from the Thai police, then Sergeant Somchai and his mates are going to rush to help. In my experience, that won't happen and the volunteers need to pre-plan for that type of scenario. (I did have a plan B in my back pocket for dealing with this lady, but happily I didn't have to resort to it...)

post-174-0-78313100-1438261372_thumb.jpg

BTW have you been trained in how to safely handle patients? I hope so. I hope you wore gloves as well, as if you had a cut on your hands you could get infected. Hepatitis isn't fun.

At the risk of sounding a little rude 'This is not Kansas (Dorothy)'.

I'm aware of the risks and very much aware of the limitations in training and equipment. I have had First Responder training, (not by the police - at my own cost). I am aware of the risk of infection and I am responsible for my own actions.

I wish there was more practical training and support for the TPVs. I know from many years of working as a TPV that I am more likely to be made Pope. smile.png

Getting back on-topic (again), it is important that foreign volunteers are not lulled into a false sense of security ==> believing that if they call for assistance from the Thai police, then Sergeant Somchai and his mates are going to rush to help. In my experience, that won't happen and the volunteers need to pre-plan for that type of scenario. (I did have a plan B in my back pocket for dealing with this lady, but happily I didn't have to resort to it...)

attachicon.gifjacket.jpg

Good to hear that you got some training. IMO everyone should have first aid training at school, but not going to happen I guess.

BTW, I believe it's "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore" biggrin.png .