the famous floods

brownknees

Last night I had to go into Pattaya to pick up a friend about 1145pm in the middle of a fierce thunderstorm which was so heavy the wipers could not cope,trtaffic was light so we could proceed slowly with hazards flashing!This is the first time I have been in Pttaya in such a storm and we encountered the floods a short way up Pattaya Klang and managed to cruise through slowly ,then we hit the second lot just north on sukhumvit after turning from pattaya Nua,this was the worst and a few cars didn't make it!!Mine has a skirt which is quite low and I think this helped push the water aside and get us through .Water probably about 18 inches or possibly more .So have the city council any plans to fix the drainage ?The sukhumvit flood is probably the lowest and where would you push the water to?

This is a perennial problem which is debated by city hall every year where they promise to fix the problem once and for all, and then..........

They are actually constructing one of the biggest storm drains on the planet where Pattaya Klang meets Sukhumvit. Apparently it's so big that cars can drive through it during the dry season...coffee1.gif

City has been cleaning the drains.

I know Sukhumvit soi 46/3 they spent 1 week, every day, all day cleaning.

This soi was NOT flooded at all.

To this day, i am still wondering why this soi was so well cleaned while the rest hardly touched

I have been here many years and to be honest last night was one of the worst and longest storms i have known .

My dogs would agree with you, 6 somehow managed to get under 1 sofa laugh.png

Not to mention, i am certain i saw sparks coming out of my AC and TV a number times

Edited by konying

2nd Road Jomtien was only finished a few years ago after years of disruption, 10 minutes of heavy rain and the area at the top of S01 5 is 2 foot deep for about 100 yards....don't expect too much.

That spot is a perennial problem. I dont really understand why as the terrain slopes nicely from there down Soi 5 to the sea. All it should need is a proper drain between the Rompo side of 2nd Road to connect to the big new drain in Soi 5.

Maybe it all just gets bunged up with crap from the market?

I have been here many years and to be honest last night was one of the worst and longest storms i have known .

Nothing special in Jomtien, apart from a lot of thunder. These storms are very localised.

We went through 2nd beach road about midnight. Quite a bit of water on the road, had to go slow in parts, but no big flooding near soi 5.

Travelled back from Soi LK to top of Soi Khao Noi at midnight on the bike.......nightmare....Soi Khao Noi closed after the railway lines had to go along the railway lines and up the back road adjacent to Chockchai Homes then back onto Khao Noi at the top...........didnt have my waterproofs with me got drenched..............

Early this morning around 6.30am soi bukhao was already completely dry. This must be an earlier flooding incident, probably afternoon looking at the people in the bars etc.

Edited by lamyai3

To this day, i am still wondering why this soi was so well cleaned while the rest hardly touched

interesting, I also noticed that the flood water cleared rather quickly once the rain stopped, not the norm in the past, they seem to have realised that keeping the drain exits clear allows the water to "drain", flash floods are always going to happen when it rains that heavy in such a short space of time

Early this morning around 6.30am soi bukhao was already completely dry. This must be an earlier flooding incident, probably afternoon looking at the people in the bars etc.

agree that doesn't look like Sunday as in yesterday

interesting, I also noticed that the flood water cleared rather quickly once the rain stopped, not the norm in the past, they seem to have realised that keeping the drain exits clear allows the water to "drain", flash floods are always going to happen when it rains that heavy in such a short space of time

We can only hope. With the sun shining from a blue sky yet again this morning we will just have to wait and see.

Those pics (well the one with the white car) are from 2011.

Yes apparently they are all from 3 years ago......

but nevermind I'm quite sure that when the real rains start that area will flood again as it always has in the past.

Edited by johng

I have lived/worked in Pattaya area for ten years and my confidence in city hall being a responsible govermental organization is on the downhill. When they say they are taking care of an issue, it is mostly words. Here are some examples: 1) maintenance with the new Beach Road promenade-already in disarray 2) when so called engineers placed new water drains along the new curbing of the extra lane of Beach Road, they did not think of making sure the drainage pipeline would have the capacity to carry the water away during heavy rains? 3) city sidewalks falling apart with missing cement tiles, debris and <deleted word> along the side and no repairs 4) enforcement of city building codes 5) the mayor saying the jet-ski scam would be taken care of and now it has gone back to its usual corruption 6)...allowing the white tourist busses (a new addition the last couple years) to block the sois and Beach Road (wait, maybe the new lane was meant for the buses to use the left lane to park at...) ---Then there is the lack of police giving out speed tickets to the tourist busses or patrolling the tourist area of the Beach Road promenade. I realize the city police is independently managed and not under city control so why not create your own police force that really is helpful to the tax paying communityand the tourists who bring money into the city?

Edited by toenail

How was 2nd Road near Diana Inn around the time it was flooded in Soi Buakhow this week?

I remember that 4 years ago it flooded badly along there and stayed flooded for at least a day. That problem seems to have been solved by the big new drains they put along the whole length of soi 10 (I think it's 10).