Transfer of visa when renewing Aus passport

To those who have experience with passport renewals,

I am wondering what the process is for transferring my one year non-imm b visa from my current but soon to be expired passport to a new one.

The renewal process itself is simple enough but will I have to get some sort of a statement from immigration prior to the renewal application or does the Australian embassy give me a statement to take to immigration to put a stamp in the new passport?

Or, worst case scenario, do I have to leave the country and restart the visa process from the beginning :o !!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Visas are never transferred.

If you have a valid one year Visa issued at a Thai Embassy/Consulate nothing needs to be transferred . Just use the two passports the visa remains valid even if the passport has been cancelled

Edited by nowretired

If you have a multiple entry visa from an embassy or consulate it will not be transferred. You would use both passports to to show the visa in the old passport on entry to the country.

If you have an extension of stay from immigration they will transfer your extension stamp and do a annotation of the visa that gave you the entry you have been extending.

The embassy will give you a letter requesting immigration to transfer your stamps.

• Like 1

I just dealt with this issue for a fellow australyian. Required a call to the embassy 02-3446300, then follow press-buttons to get a real person.

The embassy is no longer (as of last year) issuing the letter to which UJoe refers to in the above post.

The embassy informed Thai Immigration of this, but that message did not trickle-down to DanSingKon Immigration.

The embassy official to whom I spoke said to call the embassy, if you have a prob. doing the transfer,

while you are in the Immi office - the official can explain (in Thai) the revised procedure.

Hope this helps, cheers AA

• Like 1

I just dealt with this issue for a fellow australyian. Required a call to the embassy 02-3446300, then follow press-buttons to get a real person.

The embassy is no longer (as of last year) issuing the letter to which UJoe refers to in the above post.

The embassy informed Thai Immigration of this, but that message did not trickle-down to DanSingKon Immigration.

The embassy official to whom I spoke said to call the embassy, if you have a prob. doing the transfer,

while you are in the Immi office - the official can explain (in Thai) the revised procedure.

Hope this helps, cheers AA

Thanks all for the replies.

So the process would be:

1. Apply for the new passport but keep the old one with the current visa and extension of stay stamp in it.

2. When it is time to renew the extension of stay take both passports to immigration and call the Aus embassy regarding the transfer.

OR

3. Get the extension of stay stamp transferred right after getting the new passport thus making the annual re-extension process easier.

I had this a couple of years ago, is pretty straightforward.

Apply for new passport online or at Oz embassy in Bangkok. They let you keep your old passport until new one is issued.

When new passport is issued you can either continue to carry old passport, or take both into immigration and they will transfer the stamps to new passport free of charge.

Lady at immigration suggested the transfer and I have enough problems with other countries not understanding the Thai visa/extension of stay system with all in one passport, never mind spread across two passports.

Cheers