Changing Computer Password

Thailaw

I have a 3 year old Asus computer with Windows 7 installed on it. I just got a new computer and am passing on my old computer to my kids. When the computer is turned on, the first window that appears is a black rectangular box for the "password" to be typed in. There is no "user name" associated with this password. When the password is typed into the box and enter is pressed, the computer starts Windows, says "Welcome" and goes to the desktop. There are no further passwords installed on the computer, and no "users" are specified. I know the password and can get onto the computer with no problem, but I cannot change this password. I would like a simpler password for my kids to use. I have tried "everything" -- I have gone to "User Accounts" and tried to change the password there, but there are none. There isn't even a "Change Password" option. I have typed in "CTRL, ALT, Delete" after logging in and then "change password" but I am told that "User or Password" is incorrect" -- this seems to be for the Administrator password, but there is no password for the Administrator (Win 7) -- the password has no User related to it. Every Google search site says to go to "User Accounts" to change the password or use a disk if you have forgotten the password. Not much help in this case.

Can anyone tell me how to change (or remove) this password from my computer. Thanks.

Looks like a BIOS password.

Hit DEL (or whatever key is indicated to enter the BIOS) whilst the machine is booting. I find bashing the key repeatedly after turning the machine on is the best way in.

Looks like a BIOS password.

Hit DEL (or whatever key is indicated to enter the BIOS) whilst the machine is booting. I find bashing the key repeatedly after turning the machine on is the best way in.

I can get into the computer, no problem. I know the password. I want to CHANGE it! How do I do that?

Your Windows password is the password you use to log on to your computer. You can help keep your computer more secure by changing your Windows password regularly and by using a strong password. For more information about strong passwords,.

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and then click Change a password.

2. Type your old password, type your new password, type your new password again to confirm it, and then press Enter.

This is as i have done to change login password on 7.

Your Windows password is the password you use to log on to your computer. You can help keep your computer more secure by changing your Windows password regularly and by using a strong password. For more information about strong passwords,.

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and then click Change a password.

2. Type your old password, type your new password, type your new password again to confirm it, and then press Enter.

This is as i have done to change login password on 7.

Thanks. Please see my OP. I have tried that several times. It has "Win 7" as the User name, which I assume is the default "Administrator". I get a message that "User or Password is invalid". I have logged out and signed back in and the password is unchanged. I then tried to remove the User name from the window, but it would not accept it.

Is this similar to the login screen you have?

post-76988-0-76576000-1437971530_thumb.j

If it is, and you have been using it since you got the computer, then it is likely to be the BIOS password. You can change this in the BIOS.

If it just appeared, then it is likely that your CMOS battery needs changing. Change the battery and the login screen will disappear.

Note: When changing the battery, remove the old and leave for about 15 minutes so everything fades out before replacing the new one...........wink.png

attachicon.gifV3kop.jpg

If it is, and you have been using it since you got the computer, then it is likely to be the BIOS password. You can change this in the BIOS.

If it just appeared, then it is likely that your CMOS battery needs changing. Change the battery and the login screen will disappear.

Note: When changing the battery, remove the old and leave for about 15 minutes so everything fades out before replacing the new one...........wink.png

Thanks. Yes, this is the screen. This password has been on the computer since it was first set up, 3 years ago. So, I accept that it is the "BIOS" password. Where is the BIOS and how do I get into it? Can you tell me how to change this password? Thanks much in anticipation of your help.

attachicon.gifV3kop.jpg

Thanks. Yes, this is the screen. This password has been on the computer since it was first set up, 3 years ago. So, I accept that it is the "BIOS" password. Where is the BIOS and how do I get into it? Can you tell me how to change this password? Thanks much in anticipation of your help.

The information that you provided (and that Crossy provided also, but not understandably so) was enough to get on Google and see what is required to reset the BIOS password. Pressing "Delete" several times got me into BIOS, but not until I had put in the old password and gone to the Desktop page (makes sense, otherwise the password can be defeated and is worthless). Once into BIOS, the "change password" is pretty straight forward (except for the fear of making a mistake and being locked out of the computer). Password has now been changed -- thanks for your help.

Edited by Thailaw

attachicon.gifV3kop.jpg

They told you before:

keep holding down DEL or F2 when the pc starts and you will access the Bios...

attachicon.gifV3kop.jpg

They told you before:

keep holding down DEL or F2 when the pc starts and you will access the Bios...

asus motherboard often use F2 instead of DEL