Internet Phone

slippery when wet

I use callserve. I downloaded the program and registered with them online. An email came back with my log in details and password.

It’s been a few years so things may have changed. I think I bought points with my credit card during sign up. Whenever my credit gets low a screen pops up asking if I want to purchase more credit.

You open the program, a screen like a phonepad appears, log in, dial the number you want including the country code and it acts like a normal phone.

I use my headset and another option is a handheld phone that plugs into your computer.

There are other services offering the same. Depending on your internet connection and th internet in general you can gets times when the line is crystal clear an others when its not worth using.

If you change harddrives, reformat your computer etc you go to their website and send a note telling them the problem. Within a minute you will have a reply with your log in details and new password.

Skype and Callserve are PC to Phone programs. Skype also allows free PC to PC communication.

In some countries you can dial a prefix that will allow you cheap access to a service that utilises internet lines as a phone line between phones. I think this is the system you are looking for.

In Australia for example you go to the local video rental shop, pay for a voucher or card that will give you a receipt number and phone number. You dial that phone number, type in your receipt number then the home phone number you want to call. The calls are very cheap.

I'm unsure of what phone to phone systems are available in the UK. This system is available in many countries and I can't see why it shouldn't be available in the UK.

Maybe one of the Brit members can point you in the right direction. Another option would be look in the tourist areas as this type service would be advertised there. Look for posters advertising cheap phone calls and showing national flags.

Here is a link to a UK student website giving details on making cheap overseas calls using this system. http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Life/Telephon...ternational.htm

Edited by Farma

I assume you have tried to contact Skype customer service about this already?

Otherwise they might block certain cards unless the user can prove his identity. Some companies work like that.

I think astral is in the same boat as me. Certain companies won't accept UK cards being used online from connections in the Middle East and some other countries.

Otherwise they might block certain cards unless the user can prove his identity. Some companies work like that.

Yes I have contacted them and all I get is the run around.

They tell me my bank is rejecting the transaction,

but when I ask the bank they say they never received the transaction.

I know my bank does authorise internet transactions as I do them from time to time

with other companies.

These problems are not limited to Skype. I have several pieces of shareware that I would

love to pay for but these little American companies that accept the payments simply do not

like my UK cards. :o

I was wandering around Tuk Com in Pattaya and I saw a phone handset especially designed for Skype: How does that work...via USB with software? Now I just use a headset with mic.

Plus; although I used to use Skype-Out a lot, it suddenly stopped working ie. My voice was not heard yet I could hear 'them'.

I was thinking of downloading the brand new Skype software, but have forgotten my name and password.

Any suggestions?

Yes I have contacted them and all I get is the run around.

They tell me my bank is rejecting the transaction,

but when I ask the bank they say they never received the transaction.

I know my bank does authorise internet transactions as I do them from time to time

with other companies.

These problems are not limited to Skype. I have several pieces of shareware that I would

love to pay for but these little American companies that accept the payments simply do not

like my UK cards. :o

Wierd I've used my uk visa card in thailand for skype credit and no problems!

Guess it must be a really recent thing!