Thai border crossing: Information of conveyance form

gbloas

Hi, I need some advice.
I live in Laos and drove to Thailand 2 weeks ago for a trip to BKK, in my Laos registered car.

Yesterday I drove back from Thailand and had my yellow book (car passport) stamped as well as my passport. They said that I was all done so I drove back.

However, when unpacking, I found an "INFORMATION OF CONVEYANCE" form (for my car) which was filled out when I entered Thailand 2 weeks ago. I forgot to get it stamped on my return.

Here are my questions:
1. Do I need to go back to the Thai border to have it stamped?
If "no", great!
If "yes":
2. Do I need to take the car or simply drive to the Laos side, get the bus and hand it in when I arrive?

I'm worried that on my next trip they will have no record of my car's departure from Thailand and I'll be stuck with some kind of overstay fine.

However, I have a stamp in my yellow book from the Thai Customs, stamping my car out of the country yesterday. I'm hoping that this is enough.
Can anyone provide a definitive answer, otherwise I'll drive to the border and see if the Laos side know how to proceed.

Any info much appreciated.

The information of conveyance form should have been handed back to Thai customs at the departure point. It is not stamped in any way. You could bring along your yellow international transport permit as proof your vehicle left the country legally and should be fine.

Would I bother going back to hand it back in? Probably not, but how often do you drive to the Thai side? Most Laotians with cars living in Vientiane tend to drive to Thailand, at least Nong Khai or Udon Thani (the furthest they can go on a border pass) very often, so it probably won't be too long before you do too. In that case, do bring along that form and hand it back to Thai customs. You likely won't have any problems but be prepared to explain what happened.

The information of conveyance form should have been handed back to Thai customs at the departure point. It is not stamped in any way. You could bring along your yellow international transport permit as proof your vehicle left the country legally and should be fine.

Would I bother going back to hand it back in? Probably not, but how often do you drive to the Thai side? Most Laotians with cars living in Vientiane tend to drive to Thailand, at least Nong Khai or Udon Thani (the furthest they can go on a border pass) very often, so it probably won't be too long before you do too. In that case, do bring along that form and hand it back to Thai customs. You likely won't have any problems but be prepared to explain what happened.

Thanks so much for the info. It will probably be 1 or 2 months before I drive back to Nong Khai (for shopping).

Am I correct in assuming that this oversight is not going to be recorded anywhere? IE When I go to Thailand next time I won't have some sort of overstay fine for the car or questions to answer?

If you can confirm this it will save me the trip.

Thanks so much for the help.

Thanks so much for the info. It will probably be 1 or 2 months before I drive back to Nong Khai (for shopping).

Am I correct in assuming that this oversight is not going to be recorded anywhere? IE When I go to Thailand next time I won't have some sort of overstay fine for the car or questions to answer?

Most likely, it is not recorded anywhere. The document used to record your vehicle's presence in Thailand is the temporary import form, which you already handed back in. That form also has a warning stamped in English, Thai and Lao which explains that after 30 days, the fine for your vehicle "overstaying" is 1000 Baht per day. I think that you should hand back the information of conveyance form next time you go to Thailand, even if going without your car. If there's any issue try your best to explain what happened (you forgot to hand in the form) and also bring along the yellow international transport permit (car passport) as proof you exited properly last time.

Most likely, it is not recorded anywhere. The document used to record your vehicle's presence in Thailand is the temporary import form, which you already handed back in. That form also has a warning stamped in English, Thai and Lao which explains that after 30 days, the fine for your vehicle "overstaying" is 1000 Baht per day. I think that you should hand back the information of conveyance form next time you go to Thailand, even if going without your car. If there's any issue try your best to explain what happened (you forgot to hand in the form) and also bring along the yellow international transport permit (car passport) as proof you exited properly last time.

Many thanks for all your help. I posted the same issue on another forum and someone said they received a 10,000THB fine for not submitting this particular form. I had plenty of time so just to be sure I decided to pop back and give them the form.

In case anyone else has the same problem, here's what happened:
1. I checked out of Laos with my documents but left the car in Laos.
2. When I arrived in Thailand I asked the lady in the 'Information' booth (on the left) what to do and she said no need to stamp into Thailand, just go around to the 'check out' counter and hand in the form.
3. I gave the form to the guy at the check out counter. He asked for other forms so I explained the issue and he took the form.
4. I got the bus back to Laos.
5. I tried to stamp in, but no stamp out of Thailand; again I explained and she sent me to counter No.12 (on the check out of Laos side, you go through the building).
6. In room No.12, I explained again and the guy simply voided my stamp out of Laos, so in effect I hadn't been anywhere.
7. I drove home.
I should note the following:
1. All communication was in Thai / Laos, it would be a lot less efficient if you don't speak either.
2. Use the correct parking on the Laos side. I parked on the right near the 'Duty Free' shops and got wheel clamped. Lucky for me the boss was the first guy who I spoke to about the whole thing (before I left Laos) and he let me off.
3. From the Laos side the whole thing took around 40 mins, but it was quiet at the border.
4. I was within my time (14 days), not sure if there's a fine or not if you stay longer.
Many thanks again for your advice.

Many thanks for all your help. I posted the same issue on another forum and someone said they received a 10,000THB fine for not submitting this particular form. I had plenty of time so just to be sure I decided to pop back and give them the form.

2. When I arrived in Thailand I asked the lady in the 'Information' booth (on the left) what to do and she said no need to stamp into Thailand, just go around to the 'check out' counter and hand in the form.
3. I gave the form to the guy at the check out counter. He asked for other forms so I explained the issue and he took the form.
5. I tried to stamp in, but no stamp out of Thailand; again I explained and she sent me to counter No.12 (on the check out of Laos side, you go through the building).
6. In room No.12, I explained again and the guy simply voided my stamp out of Laos, so in effect I hadn't been anywhere.
7. I drove home.
1. All communication was in Thai / Laos, it would be a lot less efficient if you don't speak either.
2. Use the correct parking on the Laos side. I parked on the right near the 'Duty Free' shops and got wheel clamped. Lucky for me the boss was the first guy who I spoke to about the whole thing (before I left Laos) and he let me off.
3. From the Laos side the whole thing took around 40 mins, but it was quiet at the border.
4. I was within my time (14 days), not sure if there's a fine or not if you stay longer.

PS Forgot to say: Take a picture of the form before you give it in in Thailand; on the Laos side it made it much easier to explain by showing them the picture of the form.

Edited by gbloas

7. I drove home.

PS Forgot to say: Take a picture of the form before you give it in in Thailand; on the Laos side it made it much easier to explain by showing them the picture of the form.

Thanks for posting your story.

OK, so the Thai side originally gave you 14 days because that's all you requested? One thing I remember noticing with having driven Lao cars into Thailand in the past (including to Bangkok, Mae Sot and elsewhere) coming from Vientiane into Nong Khai was the Lao side only gave me 3 days permission to drive the car outside of Laos, but I hadn't requested any more time than this (didn't know I needed to), and indeed, I was back into Laos at a different crossing either 2 or 3 days later at the latest as the whole purpose of those trips was to transport goods from either the Thai-Myanmar border area or Bangkok to Vietnam via Laos. However, presumably I could have told Lao customs that I was intending on taking the car out for 30 days, if I wanted to. But then the Thai side gave me 30 days without me asking. Interesting that.

But just last week when I drove my Thai car back to Thailand over the bridge from Vientiane and Vang Vieng, I noticed a strange thing on the Lao form, which apparently was a mistake according to the Lao official I spoke to upon exiting. Although no mention was made on the form about the max. permission for the car to stay in the country, it said "can only drive within the province entered", which should only be put there if you are a border pass holder (Thai citizen) who isn't allowed to travel outside the permitted area. I should have checked this when I first entered but clearly it was a mistake. Although it didn't have any effect on me, but it always pays to check your paperwork before you leave the border.

Wouldn't it have been possible to go to the Thai side without stamping your passport? I have been to Cambodia from the Thai side without getting my passport stamped, by first explaining why I needed to go there (wanted to check to see if my lost friend and the goods I was waiting for were stuck over there) and I requested this permission twice in one evening. Finally, I figured out he was actually already on the Thai side ages ago! I let the Thai side hold onto my passport for me, and there was no problem in walking across the border. Maybe it was more difficult for you to explain this to the Lao side or they are stricter (especially at that crossing where the officials can be a bit stuck up in my experience).

Do you speak Lao or Thai? As you say, it's a lot easier if you do as communication will be a lot easier. I do and hence I am sometimes able to do things that a non-Thai speaker wouldn't be able to get away with so easily, for example those crossings into Cambodia without a passport.

Parking on the Lao side should only be before the barriers. It sounds like you went past the barriers without permission, hence the wheel clamps. Unless the Lao side actually allows cars to go to the duty free area that aren't leaving the country, but I always thought that in order to go there, your car needed to actually be going into Thailand (wouldn't the Lao officials have stopped you and asked you why your car documents haven't been stamped for crossing into Thailand there?) In fact, coming from the Thai side it's the same story - the only Thai cars that can go to the Lao duty free area without leaving the country officially are those from Thai customs or immigration and visa run vans that have an agreement with Thai customs. Ordinary citizens can't just go there, with or without their cars without permission. There is plenty of parking before the barriers on the Lao side where nobody disturbs you. Or the secure parking next to the border is another option.

Anyway, it was good that you handed back the form, better safe than sorry just that I think a proper explanation next time you go would have been enough (along with the evidence I already explained) but as you live in Vientiane I guess it wasn't a big deal just to return this form, but for someone living further away or not even living in the region it might have been a big nuisance.

How can you stay long term in Laos?

Is there any kind of multy entry visa?

Then someone with a multi non immigrant o from thailand and a multi entries visa for laos can cross as many times as he wants by car (even everyday?) and stay in both countries as long as he wants ?

I think its possible for Cambodia and Thai but what about Laos and Thai ?

Thanks.

How can you stay long term in Laos?

Is there any kind of multy entry visa?

Then someone with a multi non immigrant o from thailand and a multi entries visa for laos can cross as many times as he wants by car (even everyday?) and stay in both countries as long as he wants ?

I think its possible for Cambodia and Thai but what about Laos and Thai ?

Thanks.

Excellent question.

I think I posted a similar question in another thread recently on this forum. My understanding is that there is some sort of 1-year visa, presumably multiple entry that probably works like the Cambodian one does. You get a travel agency inside Laos to "sponsor" you by submitting the necessary paperwork along with your passport for a fee of a few hundred dollars and a couple of days later you get a 1-year visa. In Vientiane, if you walk around the central parts of the city, you'll see signs about a mr. such and such who can do a 1-year Lao visa extension for you. So presumably, as long as you have the cash, they can give you a visa with little required from your side.

But it would be good to hear from the Lao expats or those who have previously lived there as my information may be leaving out some details. There is strangely nothing on the web about long-term Lao visas other than talk of a Lao business visa but again no details about what documents are needed. There are tons of sites and information about Thai and Cambodian long-term visas, even Chinese ones, but why not Lao? Maybe because nobody thinks anyone would want to live in Laos? Very strange...someone ought to make a website like "Laosvisa.com" which would be similar to Thaivisa.com.

However, another possibility, if you are visa exempt for Laos is to cross back and forth using visa-free entries. You could even do so using the visa on arrival system, but the expense of the visa, the time it takes to apply for it and the space it takes up in your passport does not lend itself towards using it as a way of regular in-out travel as you'd be having to apply for a new passport after just a few weeks of daily travel otherwise. However, the good news is that for now, Laos does not place a limit on the number of times you can enter in close succession on either visa-free entries or even the visa on arrival, unlike Thailand.