Playing Dvd Movies On Laptop But Viewing On Tv

Trevor

A trip to Pantip Plaza suggested 4 options :-

1) Buy an S-video to single din plug cable. Provides picture only. Use the laptop's sound.

Baht 240.

2) Buy VGA to red-green-blue (TV) din plugs for Baht 180. Said not guaranteed to give

adequate quality of signal.

3) Buy a 'Booster Box' for Baht 1400 to provide amplification of option (2).

4) Buy a DVD player for Baht 1300 up.

Bearing in mind I would prefer a lightweight 'traveller's solution' which could be used with hotel TV's, what would the resident experts suggest? Thank you all.

All of your options give video only, use a separate lead to go from the PC's earphone output to the telly audio-in sockets.

If your PC has an S-video output use it, to S-video in on the telly if it has one otherwise option 1.

Depending upon the PC you may be able to run a dual-monitor setup with the TV as monitor 2 so you don't have to mess around with the desktop settings (TVs don't display better than 640x480 or 800x600 if it's a good set).

For my IBM ThinkPad (T41) I use a special cable, which has S-Video/M/DIN to RCA/M and mini-RCA/M to RCA/M/2X for left and right audio. It's a single molded cable, with three separate wires.

On the notebook side I use S-Video out, and the mini-RCA in the headphone jack. On the TV side, I use the yellow RCA for video in, and the red/white RCA plugs for audio R/L (red for right).

You should be able to source the same solution, with two separate cables.

1.) S-Video/Male/DIN to RCA/M

2.) Mini-RCA to RCA/M/2X

This is a very cool set-up as you can not only play DVD's, but also AVI's/MPG's etc. I use this both at home, and with a WiFi connection I can play off my network, and when I travel, hooking to the TV's in hotel rooms.

My laptop only has an external VGA connector so my options were limited. From reading this page I didn't think I could just connect it to a TV. I bought a little scan converter (the Grand Hand View III) at a local shop. It was a little more expensive than I wanted, but it works pretty well, and is powered by a USB cable which is convenient.

(I also discovered that my laptop could function in dual-head mode, which was fun because it's kind of a crummy laptop, but it isn't really fast enough to watch a video while using the computer.)