Hair turns yellow after swimming in the sea

klaissner

Aha, NOW WE KNOW...... The reason for asians to be "yellow".. It all started long time ago when first settlers in Asia took a dive in Hua Hin before they moved on to China and Mongolia....

problem solved.....

Glegolo

The "Yellow Sea" theory.

There is a sea...after all...named after each race...except the white one?

Edited by slipperylobster

Sounds to me like you may be swimming somewhere near an outfall or current containing washing detergents/chlorines /bleaches etc. Chlorine can turn blonde/white hair yellow (I've seen this in fresh water pools before used a lot and with too much chlorine in the pool). Being an oxidant it will also probably cause the brittleness you are experiencing. I'd suggest a change of location for your dips.

OK .... Googled "Swim in ocean hair turns yellow"

First hit, top of list:

Water chemistry: Hardness or natural minerals, chemicals used for water treatment, seasonal water chemistry changes all impact whether or not your water discolors your hair. For example, if your water source comes from lakes and rivers, it varies greatly (within drinkable limits) with changing seasons and the treatment needed to make the water safe to drink. Some water is high in iron which can give hair an orange, red or yellow cast. Other things in water (metals) can cause green or brown discoloration. Alkaline water can be also problematic (hard water that feels slippery). It's not just minerals that vary, it's nitrates and nitrites, the amount of chlorination required, use of chlorine vs. chloramines for disinfection and whatever your water picks up from pipes on the way to you.

Sunlight: UV light tends to make hair become more porous and it may also induce yellowing in some hair.

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2015/02/why-does-white-or-gray-light-blonde.html

OK, my 30 seconds is up.

Enjoy.

Remember, the one thing aging hair lacks is pigment of the younger hair. In this absence a number of environmental elements can saturate the white hair. It is my suspicion that an action on hair similar to hydrogen peroxide takes place basically oxidizing- its the only way I can explain the yellowing from multiple sources- chlorine, other chemicals, cigarettes, etc. I could not find an explanation that made sense searching online but I hope you get an intelligent answer because I am greying too and I also would not like this. Best of luck.

"The yellowing could be caused by a number of things, including products that leave a buildup and dull your hair. Also, chemicals, rust or iron in the water and even sun exposure can cause that yellow look. But there are special shampoos (they are purple) that, with regular use, will remove the yellow tinge. Or try using good old baking soda mixed with water (4 tablespoons to 1 quart water) as a great homemade solution for buildup removal. Mix well, pour it on your hair, and massage down to the roots and out to the ends. Rinse well, shampoo and condition as usual. FYI: Quick-clean combs and brushes by soaking them in a baking-soda-and-water solution overnight -- or, after removing loose hair, pour on a little hair shampoo, scrub off with another brush or comb, rinse in hot water and let air-dry." -- Heloise

Edited by arjunadawn

everyone is pissing in the waterbah.gif next time check your mouth.gigglem.gif

Just wondering ...

Are your 6,195 other posts this insightful or funny?

If so, I am sorry to inform you, you have wasted a meaningful portion of your life.

Even a prepubescent schoolboy could top this silly attempt at humor.

Six thousand one hundred and ninety six postings.

Amazing.

Oh, one quick favor .. no need to reply and go to 6,197 on my account .. I will not read it.

Edited by Guest

Folks - thank you for your helpful contributions, somehow I get the impression this forum is visited mostly by jesters.......

I DO have a long white beard and long white hair, and it really turned ugly dark yellow here and then breaks off, which depresses me quite a bit.

To your comments:

• razor: please remember this good advice when YOU have a problem next time - just cut off the offending part
  • sewage: you're talking from your own experience?
  • swimming pool: appreciate your honest try - but no, I've never been in a pool here
  • orange straw hat: kinda difficult to wear a straw hat over your BEARD - usually I'm not walking on my hands with my beard pointing upwardswink.png

Good comeback mate, some people on this forum only aim to piss you off. Have you considered maybe something your eating or drinking more of when you are here?

I honestly cant think of anything else, do let us know if you ever figure it out mate.

Folks - thank you for your helpful contributions, somehow I get the impression this forum is visited mostly by jesters.......

I DO have a long white beard and long white hair, and it really turned ugly dark yellow here and then breaks off, which depresses me quite a bit.

To your comments:

• razor: please remember this good advice when YOU have a problem next time - just cut off the offending part
  • swimming pool: appreciate your honest try - but no, I've never been in a pool here
  • orange straw hat: kinda difficult to wear a straw hat over your BEARD - usually I'm not walking on my hands with my beard pointing upwards;)

I have noticed alright some people, when they don't have an answer for a person with a problem, seemingly cannot resist the compulsion to have a bit of fun at someone else's expense. in order to demonstrate to the rest of us how witty they think they are.

yes that is true but a sense of humor is good medicine too and some things said are funny (and some things said are crass)..but nevertheless.lighten up please

Edited by Linzz

Dear readers of my thread that I have posted in the "Health, Body, and Medicine" section, in my naive belief that a medical question might be treated with more respect to the author.

My heartfelt thank you to all those who were honestly trying to give me a meaningful answer, in particular to

avender
bangkokequity
arjunadawn
jossthaifarang.

To most of the others I can only say that I pity you, if you have nothing better to do all day than write demeaning, insulting, or simply stupid posts, instead of living a harmonious and happy life with all those around you.

Good bye

Carl

Dear readers of my thread that I have posted in the "Health, Body, and Medicine" section, in my naive belief that a medical question might be treated with more respect to the author.

My heartfelt thank you to all those who were honestly trying to give me a meaningful answer, in particular to

avender

bangkokequity

arjunadawn

jossthaifarang.

To most of the others I can only say that I pity you, if you have nothing better to do all day than write demeaning, insulting, or simply stupid posts, instead of living a harmonious and happy life with all those around you.

Good bye

Carl

sorry.gifsorry.gif

avender

bangkokequity

arjunadawn

jossthaifarang.

Good bye

Carl

Hope you get the answer you are looking for - but don't knock those who introduced some humour. Please lighten up and enjoy your day. biggrin.png

The environmental safety standards here are either non existent, and next to zero. There is a huge amount of runoff from the rivers up north, and from the industrial estates, that drains into the Gulf. Hua Hin is fairly far up north, so my guess is that the water is very contaminated. I do not know much about dumping in that area, but there must be a bit of that going on too. Probably best to stick with fresh water. The water on the Andaman side is much better, and I think when you get further south in the Gulf, towards Prachuap the water improves. But, overall the Gulf is shallow, the circulation is not what the Andaman offers, and the water quality is poor. Your beard may be the ultimate litmus test!

avender

bangkokequity

arjunadawn

jossthaifarang.

Good bye

Carl

Hey Mr Carl would you like a picture of my hair? I swam in Thai waters many more times than you and its not yellow. There's your answer, its not the ocean. What is TVF to you, a cheap way to get medical advice? Lighten up a little, nobody means any harm....

To your comments:

• orange straw hat: kinda difficult to wear a straw hat over your BEARD - usually I'm not walking on my hands with my beard pointing upwards;)
I have noticed alright some people, when they don't have an answer for a person with a problem, seemingly cannot resist the compulsion to have a bit of fun at someone else's expense. in order to demonstrate to the rest of us how witty they think they are.

If you want seriousness maybe try Radio 4, wrong place here methinks.

Yes indeed.

Life is serious ,then you die.

Listen Father Christmas your getting old, urine colorization of the hair is normal in Hua Hin, due to all the local piss takers on price of everything, swim on any beach and your body will turn yellow . Why , ? The town is expanding at such a huge rate the only place to dump the sewage is in the ocean, lived there for six years and got the hell out, check out the developments between Cha Am and Hua Hin , one complex has six thousand units , looks like a. Prison camp, all this waste these people produce will Either go into the ocean or some god forsaken land fill..

I think in the next ten years this town as a tourist destination will fail, certainly for Europeans , prices will plummet in housing. Because the question will be why the hell would I want to live there.

Finally it was one of the best places to visit or live fifteen years ago, now usual Thai greed has killed the goose.

I think this thread has more than run its course.

I did not post a response because I quite frankly have no idea why this is happening to the OP...hair that has been dyed blonde or brown will often turn a garish yellow from salt water but I have no idea why a white beard would.

As far as I can tell, none of those who replied have any idea either, and OP has made it clear he is not amused by the postings.