Hiring boat for the day..

rossysteve

Hi, My family and I are coming to Pattaya over christmas and have been looking at hiring a boat for the day to visit Monkey Island etc. There are only 3 of us and I do understand most fit 6 pax upwards but the prices we are getting online seem to be pretty similar to UK prices, which seem expensive although I may be wrong, does anyone have any ideas or would it be better to just wait until we arrive and see how much the walk up prices are?

thanks in advance

My experience with this is that boat charter is a total rip off if you just walk up and even if you try organize one for the next day.

Their prices are way off anything rational, I tried paying the gasoline separately, etc. but no cigar.

An example of a rip-off price is 7000 baht for approx. 4 hours hire and approx. 2 hours running at moderate speed (approx. 25-30 miles, smaller medium boat for about 6 to max.10 persons, single outboard engine).

Also, both the boats and the skippers are at the lower end, boat comes without VHF and even without a compass, single engine !

I got caught in a tropical thunderstorm while heading back to Pattaya from Koh Pai and the best our idiot boat "driver" could do when visibility was reduced to approx. 50 meters with very heavy rain, large waves and strong winds was to fall on his knees and pray to Buddha! as he was on his knees, he was not watching the sea around.

Luckily, I spotted a larger boat which looked like it had to have a compass and I told him to follow that boat.

Maybe a member here knows where to charter an acceptable boat and skipper for a good price.

Edited by manarak

Not Pattaya related, but here on Samui I can rent a longtail boat with skipper for 3.000 baht for a day.

Last time (only time) I went out on a longtail boat it was like a slave galley, plus the engine had no muffler and was GOD-AWFUL LOUD.

A few years ago some friends & I charted the Edina off the Bali Hai Pier. It was 12K for the day, or 20,000 for overnight.

Check if they have a dinghy though. If not bring swim fins to get ashore on Ko Phai or Koh Rin.

go down to bali hai pier evening time when they are all moored up can usually find one to suit not talking about speed boats last time we rented twin deck ferry type boat to the far islands past koh larn fishing, with handlines swimming etc 7000 bht per day about 5 years ago the stated price

Yes that is the sort of thing and price I was expecting, my 15 yr old daughter would obviously prefer a speedboat type, who wouldnt, but Im sure she will find it amazing to have our own boat for the day. Its her first trip to thailand and first christmas away from home so just want to make it that bit more special for her..but knowing what she and most other 15 yr olds are like the first question on boarding any boat from canoe to cruise liner would be "does it have wi-fi?"

renting a boat to go to Ko Larn costs like 1800 baht, then the driver sits around for hours waiting to take you back. Seems crazy to have to pay 10,000 baht for the same amount of time. I can imagine a few thousand baht since the driver can't now sleep, will of course use more gas boating you around etc.

As you walk along Jomtien beach quite a few of the deck chair vendors have signs stating the price to rent a boat to go to the various islands. I've no idea about the quality of the boat/skipper/equipment etc. but I seem to recall that prices were around the 3000-6000 Baht mark. I think there's also an official price list as the tourist office building opposite soi 5 by the windsurfing place (all knocked down now, of course, as part of the renovation of the beach walkway) had one. Of course, at Christmas time it will be the peak of the high season so you can expect prices to be at their highest.

Best value for money is a day trip on Serenity cruises. They have 71' catamarans that are spacious and safe. The boats leave at 9am from Ocean Marina and come back at 5pm. The day trip includes a few islands including Monkey Island, lunch, snorkelling and fishing. Check out Serenity Shipyard website. Low season at the moment so call them for a good price.

Alternatively you can charter a boat but yes the prices will be similar to home. Check out the boats for charter on the Ocean Marina website or Pattaya Yacht Charters also at Ocean Marina. Of course there are the local speedboats but I have never chartered one.