Is there any way to extend AIS prepaid expiry without paying 30BHT?

Howitzer

I got this prepaid sim like around 3 years ago. I have always been extending the expiry date by signing up for mao mao package which basically gives you 30 mins of extra talk time and an extension of the expiry by 30 days. I don't need the free talk time i just need to extend the expiry and everytime i sign up for this package i need to pay 30bht. I have spoken to the customer service officer on AIS and they tell me there's no other way to extend it other than by adding more credit to my number or signing up for this stupid package.

I spoke to someone who got a new prepaid sim recently and i think he had an expiry date of 1 year and i think it was from AIS or maybe not i cannot recall.

I'm not sure if i can actually extend my expiry by 1 year if i actually visit the AIS store in thailand.

I actually asked one CSO on how to extend my expiry for a year and she suggested something quite silly she told me to sign up for 12 of those mao mao packages so in effect i would be paying 30 x 12 + the VAT tax to extend my expiry which i obviously declined because it sounds like a really bad suggestion.

Why doesn't AIS have the same expiry extension feature like true move? In true move you pay like around 3 bht to extend it for 30 days and recently they had a 60 and 90 day extension all for 6 and 9 bht respectively.

I don't reside in thailand but i do visit it occassionally so i obviously don't need the free talk time on AIS mao mao package. I extend the expiry so i don't need to hunt around buying new sim cards everytime i visit.

I would just ask someone in Thailand, after you give them you number, to pop round a top-up machine and add 12 baht (10 baht + 2 baht fee) which gives 30 days. For the maximum expiry of 365 days this would cost 144 baht.

Or you could do this before you leave.

Or just contact AIS and see if they can offer any expiry schemes which meet your budget.

I assume you are aware of the requirements to register your SIM by 31 July 2015? AIS is supposed to keep SIMs "alive" for up to 12 months, so you can register it when you return.

Edited by bamnutsak

Of course i have. I got both sims registered in april. Seriously your post didn't even answer my question which is about extension of expiry date without paying such a high price because i am paying for talk time which i don't need.

Honestly i don't even know why you posted here when you didn't even answer my question and don't know the answer to it.

Not so sure that i'm correct but if you have access to one of those top up machines i think i remember you can add 1 months validity to prepaid as well as the equivilent of the 10 baht or so that you add on or maybe only in thailand so i could be barking up the wrong tree but it works for me but then i a full time resident anyway wish you luck.

I would just ask someone in Thailand, after you give them you number, to pop round a top-up machine and add 12 baht (10 baht + 2 baht fee) which gives 30 days. For the maximum expiry of 365 days this would cost 144 baht.

Or just contact AIS and see if they can offer any expiry schemes which meet your budget.

I assume you are aware of the requirements to register your SIM by 31 July 2015?

Thanks i guess your suggestion would be the best i think the staff at AIS would suggest the same thing i don't know.

To the rest of the other posters why are you always talking about something totally unrelated to my question. I didn't even ask on sim card registration.

I was just checking that you knew about registering as there is away to extend the sim for 1 year for 20 baht but the sim has to be already registered.

You may hope someone else knows now as I am finished with this topic.

Bye

Yet you didn't mention it earlier and i guess you won't be telling how.

Thanks i guess your suggestion would be the best i think the staff at AIS would suggest the same thing i don't know.

There have been some first-hand reports that individuals have contacted AIS, from afar (email, internet call/chat), and have been offered expiry schemes at similar pricing too those offered by DTAC and TrueMove H.

There have been some first-hand reports that individuals have contacted AIS, from afar (email, internet call/chat), and have been offered expiry schemes at similar pricing too those offered by DTAC and TrueMove H.

Well for me it wasn't the case. I was suggested to sign up 12 mao mao packages which means that i would be paying for free talk time i didn't need each package costing 30 bht.

One-2-Call

Expiry/Validity can be extended by:

purchasing mobile phone credits (topping up).

The minimum about required to extend validity is dependent on the promotion plan.

My plan is set so a 30 baht topup also gives me an additional 30 days. Other plans may be set at 50 or even 200 baht before 30 days are credited.

having a friend transfer their One2Call Validity days to your mobile number using Validity Transfer

Validity Transfer feature says it's only available for plans that gains 30 validity days for every 200 Baht or more topup. Other AIS pages don't mention this restriction.

subscribing to the 30 baht Mao Mao 5-day calling credit to receive the promotional 30-day Validity extension.

Unless you're out in the middle of nowhere or can use the 5-day call credit -- you'd be better off actually topping up your account and receiving validity extension for free.

I assume you are aware of the requirements to register your SIM by 31 July 2015? AIS is supposed to keep SIMs "alive" for up to 12 months, so you can register it when you return.

That's odd - I did almost the same thing and got a very different result!

My (registered) AIS SIM had 500 Baht credit on it valid to 1st March 2015. I'm in UK, so I got a friend in Thailand to buy a 300 Baht top-up and email me the details. Previously, that amount would have extended it by a year.

I applied the top-up on 28th February, and it extended it by 1 month only! Therefore the top-up expired on 30th April 2015 and AIS have cost me 800 Baht!

Thanks AIS!

Edited by VBF

My (registered) AIS SIM had 500 Baht credit on it valid to 1st March 2015. I'm in UK, so I got a friend in Thailand to buy a 300 Baht top-up and email me the details. Previously, that amount would have extended it by a year.

I applied the top-up on 28th February, and it extended it by 1 month only! Therefore the top-up expired on 30th April 2015 and AIS have cost me 800 Baht!

Thanks AIS!

Unless AIS have changed their business model, every time I top up 200 baht or so, the time line pushes out to one year or more. Is it possible that your friend purchased a bundle (which has a one month time line) rather than a straight pre-pay top -up?

Thanks AIS!

Unless AIS have changed their business model, every time I top up 200 baht or so, the time line pushes out to one year or more. Is it possible that your friend purchased a bundle (which has a one month time line) rather than a straight pre-pay top -up?

Thanks AIS!

Thanks AIS!

That's what I said - please read my post where I say "Previously, that amount would have extended it by a year"

It's MY phone - my friend was only buying a top-up and emailing a scan of the ticket to me - it was a standard top-up for an existing phone.

As written in other threads.

The repeated 10 Baht topup method at the orange colored self service machines still works.

Topup 10 Baht paying 2 Baht fee and you get 30 days extension.

Can be repeated for up to 1 year (or 360 days?).

Don't try to safe a fee by topping up a higher amount!

Some mates will never listen tongue.png

These self service machines are about everywhere, every 7/11, even many mom&pop shops have placed them.

If I find the thread where this is described in detail I will link it.

After having changed my call plan recently I retried it today.

Result before/after topping up 10 Baht:

post-99794-0-43765200-1438158093_thumb.j

Normally I top up via internet banking, but to avoid the credit to expire, I do this extension procedure.

Once you could do it at AIS service offices that have a self service machine without paying a fee.

Last time I noticed that the minimum top up is 20 Baht there now.

So to sum up: "invest" a maximum of 12*12 = 144 Baht to get 1 year validity and top up of 120 Baht which you will use up.

If not, you don't need a phone biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

• 2 months later...

Thanks AIS!

That's what I said - please read my post where I say "Previously, that amount would have extended it by a year"

It's MY phone - my friend was only buying a top-up and emailing a scan of the ticket to me - it was a standard top-up for an existing phone.

"That's what I said - please read my post where I say "Previously, that amount would have extended it by a year""

Just did a top up at a Family Mart ... October 2015 ... and it still gives me another full year of validity to October 2016. Either you or they changed the type of service you were using.

Think I've posted this before, but here it is again:

AIS_Validity.PNG

This may be the new AIS / One-2-Call Pre-Pay validity scheme operating under the new AWN subsidiary.

AIS / One-2-Call FAQ pages also discuss an 800 baht TopUp that gives 100 days validity, but I've never seen this on a scratch-off card or terminal printed TopUp code slip.