LENOVO Laptop

fang37

On the front, it says that it is a Lenovo Z50

On the back, it says it is a Lenovo Z5070 (594221)

My reading says that the Z50 is duel core whereas the Z5070 is quad core.

Duel core v Quad core?

Within PC, I have tried to identify which one it is. So far, no luck.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Switching topics

The original HD was a "dog". Replaced it with an SSD - fantastic! (Kingston???)

Now the question. I have a vague recollection that it is NOT recommended to DEFRAG an SSD.

I have defragged the SSD.

I am "fast mad" - no idea why. Looking at the index - other than gaming, all is looking VG! Max is 7.9!

Making this PC even faster - HOW? PRICE ESTIMATE?

The Z50 on the front is just the model family where the Z50-70 rounds out the model number. And the 5 portion just means its a 15 inch display model. The Z5070 has a i7-4510U CPU which is a dual core, four thread CPU.

In comparion, my Lenovo Z510 (also 15 inch display) has an i7-4702MQ CPU which is a quad core, eight thread CPU.

Many, many different types of CPU out there....when a person goes shopping for computer and if they want an Intel based CPU they just can't think that all i3, i5, and i7 CPUs are the same....within each off those families there are many different models with different capabilities, different amount of cores, just a bunch of different things.

You never need to defrag a SSD...it just different technology than a spinning platter drive.

Other than adding more RAM (which might help a little bit) and a SSD which you already have, basically you can not upgrade laptops. Sometimes you can replace the CPU in some with a faster CPU that might give you a little faster benchmark...but many CPU nowdays are solder on the board and can't be easily replaced. Basically, when it comes to a laptop, other than upgrading RAM and hard drive, there is little you can do.

Different with a desktop where you could swapout the whole motherboard, change CPUs (plus desktop CPU have more horsepower than mobile/laptop CPUs), swapout the video card, etc., but make no bones about it doing something like that can get very pricey especially when swaping CPUs and highend video cards....almost like buying a whole new computer price-wise.

Edited by Pib

• 1 month later...

The purchase of my LENOVO has been soul-destroying.

I seek perfection.

As a result, I suffer.

Indeed - indeed... The road to perfection is paved with expectations -- and expectations breed disappointments faster than wabbits :)

The Lenovo is a quite an OK PC.

Upgrading to W 10 & a few matters went tits up. Was it a result of W 10? No idea.

They were so important that I cannot remember even one.

Edited by fang37

Upgrading to W 10 & a few matters went tits up. Was it a result of W 10? No idea.

RETRACTION!

Lenovo is an absolute dog.

Startup - somedays - perfect.

Others - disaster - up to 20 tries.

RETRACTION!

Lenovo is an absolute dog.

Startup - somedays - perfect.

Others - disaster - up to 20 tries.

No, your laptop is not a dog...it's just your installation of Windows or some program(s) that are installed.

If I remember right you had a shop do the installation? And if the drivers for your particular model were not downloaded and installed from the Lenovo support website I expect that is at least part of the problem.

My Lenovo boots up with Win 10 in around 15 seconds, same as it did with Win 8.1.

Good luck in fixing the problem.

Pib

W 10 installation by CNX computer tech.

Programs seem to be running OK.

Only area that pisses me off - start up = time varies from about 20sec to 1min.

Late discovery - when startup goes "blank", if I press the Windows icon in bottom left corner, all become OK.

No word on "Rapid Mode" for Samsung SSD 850 Pro?

Pib

W 10 installation by CNX computer tech.

Programs seem to be running OK.

Only area that pisses me off - start up = time varies from about 20sec to 1min.

Late discovery - when startup goes "blank", if I press the Windows icon in bottom left corner, all become OK.

No word on "Rapid Mode" for Samsung SSD 850 Pro?

I recall from previous posts that you notebook is a Lenovo Z50-70 which has 2 graphic chips - Intel and Nvidea.

I suspect the problem relates to one of those.

To fix, you have 2 options. The first is uninstall both drivers and let Windows reinstall them automatically. The second is to download the NVidea and Intel drivers from Lenovo and install them manually.

First Option

1 - Press and hold the Windows key then the X key

2 - Select "Device Manager"

3 - Expand "Display Adapters"

4 - Select NVidea, right click and Uninstall

5 - Check the box " Delete the driver software for this device" Click "OK"

6 - Do the same (4 & 5) with the Intel.

7 - Reboot.

Second Option

1 - With a browser open this page: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-z-series-laptops/lenovo-z50-70?tabName=Downloads

2 - Select "Display and Video Graphics" and "Windows 10 (64 bit"

3 - Download both the Intel and Nvidea drivers.

4 - Using Explorer, navigate to wherever you saved those 2 drivers

5 - Run the Intel update. After finished Reboot.

6 - Run the NVidea update. After finished Reboot.

Well, you latest description is much less harsh that your earlier one.

Sounds like you have a display setup problem...maybe the video driver for you laptop is not the best one. If you didn't install the video drivers from the Lenovo website for your model, go download them and install. I say "them" because if your model also has a separate GPU, such a NVIDA or AMD GPU, you'll should have a VGA driver to download for GPU that comes built into your Intel CPU and then a driver for the NVIDA/AMD GPU.

Samsung has not released an updated Samsung Magician yet to fix the Win 10 Rapid Mode issue on Samsung drives.

Today, PC tech worked on my computer via TeamViewer.

He cleaned the browser & deleted the screensaver.

He would like to re-install W 10 but I refuse to do it. Too many hassles last time & no knowledge by previous version of Windows. Your opinion?

It is going "OK".

Startup - takes 2 efforts. My test re time - 32 & 33 sec. POOR?

I may have to just accept it as it is.

Samsung "Rapid Mode" for 850 Pro. The SSD is partitioned - 2 drives. Will this create any obstacles when the "Rapid Mode" is available?

If so, easy fix?

Approx 30 seconds is not bad at all. When Samsung releases an update Magician Rapid Mode utility which works with Win 10 (currently Rapid Mode only works with Win 7 & Win 8.X) it don't matter how many partitions you have on the drive as it speeds up the whole drive whether its got 2 partitions or 20 partitions. Don't expect Rapid Mode to magically turn your computer into a speed demon or make it boot faster...Rapid Mode only speeds up certain type of drive/software accesses. Now it will sure make disk benchmarks increase by around 10 fold but benchmarks don't really reflect the real world in many cases. Real world Rapid Mode is an enhancement/nice-to-have; not a game-changer or a must-have.

Edited by Pib

Guess my Lenovo i7 CPU based (quad core/eight threads) laptop with Samsung SSD 840EVO 500GB is below average...my laptop takes 12 to 15 seconds to boot with Win 10...basically the same as when it was running Win 8.1. However, But I'm talking boot-up all the way to the Desktop screen versus just to the logon screen since I don't use a logon password. Somehow I've convinced myself to endure the pain of a 15 seconds boot-up time to the Desktop screen. laugh.png

One more thing just came to mind is even if two people have identical hardware, their boot-up times may vary depending on their personal Windows settings and some software/apps they have installed which load partially or fully during boot-up such as antivirus/firewall programs and just a myriad of software that a person may have installed.

Edit: A quick way to see which software is having a high impact on your boot-up time is to press the Control-Alt-Delete keys at the same time which will pull-up a Windows menu...at that menu select Task Manager...then select the Startup tab to see the Startup Impact different programs is having on your computer during boot-up. Now don't ask me what the Windows Task Manager's definition of High Impact, Medium Impact, or Low Impact is...Task Manager's definition of High Impact might be anything over 0.5, 1, 2, etc., seconds...I really don't have a clue. There are supposedly programs out there that will measure the impact "in time" each boot-up program is having on boot-up, but I don't have any to recommend....maybe someone else does.

Edited by Pib

Guess my Lenovo i7 CPU based (quad core/eight threads) laptop with Samsung SSD 840EVO 500GB is below average...my laptop takes 12 to 15 seconds to boot with Win 10...basically the same as when it was running Win 8.1. However, But I'm talking boot-up all the way to the Desktop screen versus just to the logon screen since I don't use a logon password. Somehow I've convinced myself to endure the pain of a 15 seconds boot-up time to the Desktop screen. laugh.png

I didn't mean to argue just for the sake of it and I agree that a few seconds is neither here nor there.

It's just that 30 seconds is substantially longer than normal and likely means that something is not configured properly. It could well be that a slow boot is the only symptom of that misconfiguration but it could equally be something that is affecting overall system performance.

My Lenovo has a mind of its own.

Today, well behaved. Tomorrow?

Only disappointment since the installation of W 10 - slow startup.

30+sec as timed by 360 Security program.

Other programs would give far different readings?

When trying to access a program, a small round rotating blue-color circle appears.

Then, cannot access the desired program.

How long haven't you been using computers? Many of the things you post are to be expected. Others are just trivial.

Still, the blue spinner indicate memory access delays, either RAM or Hard Drive being blocked by an unfinished or locked-up process/driver or failing hardware. Any more than 3-5 seconds of a spinner is unusual and if I don't immediately know why then and I start researching tech forums.

You've seemed to have turned your Lenovo into a full-time hobby.

35 years.

Using XP was a dream.

Since then HELL.

There is no reason to use Win10.

Go with Win7, it runs without problems

Thank you for your suggestion.

I do not have a copy of a previous version of Windows.

My computer tech is in a similar situation.

If I go back to W 7, then I will probably encounter problems upgrading to W 10=catch 22

I will do nothing.

• 3 weeks later...