LENOVO Laptop

fang37

I have had a reprieve (I think).

I was booked to go to CNX this Friday & have a 256gb Kingston installed.

Tech stated that a number of his clients are having problems with W 10 - files.

So, I am deferring - go back to the drawing board & research (again).

Buying from Lazada, I have reasonable choice.

Samsung seems popular with the 850Pro & EVO (not M2) frontrunners.

Confused? UNDERSTATEMENT!

1. It seems that I can restore W 8.1 - then upgrade to W 10 later.

2. Buy a SSD of my choosing - Samsung 850 Pro v 840 EVO

Any comments re

1) Restore W 8.1

2) SSD

Thank you to those who have suffered my BS!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have basically settled on Samsung 256gb 850 Pro

(there is a "black" - a little dearer)

Just swing by a JIB store that is in many malls and pick up above drive for Bt7150...none of this stuff of messing around with Lazada online, waiting X-days to X-weeks for the item to hopefully arrive. Also much easier to return an item to the store you bought it at (like JIB) versus messing around with return through Lazada. Up to you. Below from JIB current price list...this is in store or order online price...includes VAT.

https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/priceList/getPriceList/43

post-55970-0-04516000-1439376491_thumb.j

Pib

Undoubtedly you are a "Star Member" of TV.

My ability to read Thai - zero.

No problem - my "boss" can!

I can't read Thai either...just load Google Translate to whatever browser you use then text based Thai is automatically converted to English. When I look at the webpage I sent you it is Thai for a few seconds then Google Translate converts it to English.

Edited by Pib

I was curious as to why my tech successfully installed W 10 on his PC whereas clients had problems. He informed me that, in all cases, the reason was old hardware or out-of-date software.

The Samsung Pro 850 SSD.

I read that there is a "rapid mode"option. Makes the SSD - 1.8 times faster.

Anyone used "rapid mode"?

Yes, the 850 can use Rapid Mode which is really nothing more than some of your RAM memory (up to 2GB if remember right but you can set less if you desire) is allotted to work with the SSD to speed up drive performance, not that a SSD isn't fast enough already. "Benchmark-wise" Rapid Made makes the Samsung SSD around 10-15 (ten to fifteen) times faster but that only because the use of RAM fools the benchmark program into thinking it's solely testing the SSD. But remember, that's benchmark-wsie; not realworld-wise. You will perceive/notice very little difference when doing everyday things like browsing, word processing, emailing, etc...that minor difference you will notice is webpages will appear just a little faster, programs will open just a little faster...and I expect more serious computer operations like if dealing with large image/video files, databases files, etc., it would speed up things. But yea, benchmark-wise for example your SSD large sequential read/write file performance will increase from around 550MB/sec to the 7000 (7 thousand) MB/sec ballpark.

What allows Rapid Mode with use of some Samsung SSDs such as the 850 (and 840 I have) is the Samsung app called Magician. The Magician app is "not" needed to use the Samsung SSD...it's an app that only provides addtitional features such as such as Rapid Mode, diagnostics, OS optimization, firmware update, and a varies of other things...read more about it here: Link

Now, the Magician app (latest version 4.6) has an issue with Win 10...that one issue is Rapid Mode can not be turn on with some computers...under Win 8.1 or Win 7 Rapid Mode works fine....can be turn off and on no problem. I use the Magician App...have ever since getting my 840EVO close to a year ago and used Rapid Mode for at least six months...never a problem with Rapid Mode. I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 with Rapid Mode turned on and it stayed turned on after the upgrade. However, but, after upgrading to Win 10 and when I turned it off to do some testing with Win 10 regarding a Win 10 issue, I could not turn Rapid Mode back on.

Rapid Mode says there is an "Error in Obtaining Info" regarding the OS and the button to turn on Rapid Mode is greyed-out. Many people are having this issue when you google the issue....it's not a new issue as it first appeared when Win 10 best testing began many months ago. Supposedly Samsung is to released an updated Magician app sometime in the near future...I expect they didn't want to release an updated version until the "final" version of Win 10 was released to the masses and stabilized with some updates.

Some folks running Win 10 have had luck in installing an earlier version of Magician (ver 4.4) to get Rapid Mode working again...for others it didn't help....and apparently loading 4.5 didn't work for no one. I haven't tried reverting to ver 4.4 and probably won't...I just continue to use ver 4.6 and wait unit Samsung releases it next version which will probably be numbered 4.7 and get Rapid Mode working for everyone again.

Barring this one issue with the Magician app right now which I talked about in another thread and understanding you don't have to use/install the Magician at all, personally I think a person should install the Magician app so a lot of nice features become available for using/maintaining/optimizing their Samsung SSD.

When you are on a roll, keep rollin'.

Today, I upgraded internet from B590+7% per month to B900+7% - 3BB.

Well, unless you also got a significantly higher speed I wouldn't call paying more per month an upgrade.

When you are on a roll, keep rollin'.

Today, I upgraded internet from B590+7% per month to B900+7% - 3BB.

Well, unless you also got a significantly higher speed I wouldn't call paying more per month an upgrade.

B590B

10m

Download - 10m

Upload - 512k

B900

15m

Download - 15m

Upload - 1m

Difference:

B590 fluctuates tremendously during a day eg school kids home from school.

SUMMARY: It is costing approx B0/day.

Wife says improvement is "glung, glung - not nit noi" - of course.

I went with a 500 gb samsung 850 pro. it is great, and I recommend it. got it from a jib store in changwattana central bkk.

it will do everything I want and remind me of computer hygiene/ housekeeping. if not working on it don't have it on the computer.

the amount fo time i've kept stuff on the hdd just in case i need to reference it is stupid, and leads to poor habvits in terms of remembering confidentiality, etc etc.

i recommend you go bigger, just in case the next os needs it.

I went with a 500 gb samsung 850 pro. it is great, and I recommend it. got it from a jib store in changwattana central bkk. it will do everything I want and remind me of computer hygiene/ housekeeping. if not working on it don't have it on the computer. the amount fo time i've kept stuff on the hdd just in case i need to reference it is stupid, and leads to poor habvits in terms of remembering confidentiality, etc etc. i recommend you go bigger, just in case the next os needs it.

Be sure to install the Samsung Magician app as it adds a lot of nice features to a Samsung SSD. I expect it came on the disk with the SSD...or you can download the latest version at the first Samsung link below. Rapid Mode may or may not work for you on Win 10...the next Magician update is suppose to fix that. The second link just takes you to the Q&A area the Samsung support website that takes what Magician does. Lots of info on the Samsung support website....be sure to not overlook the White Papers that do a great job is explaining some things at SSDs, Magician, etc.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/faqs_04.html

I have 73gb free. I am not into gaming. Free disk space is constant.

New HD - B3500? - 120gb.

Gmail; EXCEL (only a few small worksheets)

My only whinge - "slow" access to sites eg BKK Bank FE, Gmail. It is good but that is not good enough!

I am just about sold on more RAM - less than B1k.

What else can I do to make it quicker? Our PCs are NEVER quick enough?

How can I assess speed of PC?

Run "ccleaner".

New SSD (256gb) goes in soon.

I will have 2 USB drives -

1 x 1Tb

1 x 128gb

My quandry - what to put in each drive.

I will have a desktop icon to ease the burden of backups.

With 2 USBs, I assume that I will need 2 icons.

Monday is the day for instaling Windows 10. Tech who knows my PC very well can see no possibility of hiccups.

I would recommend you ensure this Tech who knows your PC very well also downloads/installs all the latest drivers/BIOS updates for your Z50-70 model from the Lenovo website versus just using generic Win 10 drivers. Here's the Lenovo link for your Z50-70 again.

I would also check to ensure your BIOS firmware matches the BIOS firmware update shown for Win 8.1 64bit although you are installing Win 10...if not, have him do that BIOS update also.

Using the latest drivers for your model helps to make it run better, fix bugs, provide security patches, be more stable, and prevent vulnerabilities like discussed at this recent ThaiVisa post regarding a vulnerability recently discovered in "some" Lenovo models. Your model (based on the model number you posted earlier) is not on the vulnerably list for the particular hacking vulnerably...but you never know what other doors and windows with your computer may be vulnerable when you don't keep it updated. So many people buy a computer and never-ever get updated drivers/BIOS for their model for the years they own it...they just assume Windows handles all of that---wrong! For example, Windows will never provide a BIOS update. And of course the attitude of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes into play for a lot of people. Quite an understandable attitude but in today's world of computers, software, and the internet which interconnects us all, a person may not even realize their computer isn't working properly or has been hacked due to vulnerability that an updated drivers/BIOS would have prevented.

Good luck on the Monday install.

I was in the US recently and bought 1 Samsung 850 Pro 1 TB + memory extension (16GB)

Installed them into my 3-year old X230...

Very happy with the results!

You would be happy with the price too cf to LOS.

"Memory extension" - ??????

Memory extension = RAM

I was in the US recently and bought 1 Samsung 850 Pro 1 TB + memory extension (16GB)

Installed them into my 3-year old X230...

Very happy with the results!

You would be happy with the price too cf to LOS.

"Memory extension" - ??????

Things offered for NOTHING are invariably NOT for nothing eg free trial for 1 month; upgrade to a $$$ system.

360 Anti-Virus may have its knockers BUT it is looking better & better.

I am retaining my position at the moment - NOTHING.

I have never had a virus - WAITING.

360 Anti-Virus is hereby declared the winner - please step up onto the dias & receive your gold medal.

Against my better judgement, I re-loaded Avast. The computer locked!

Avast is disqualified from future events for a period of one year. Off to jail with you.

My current avatar - Miss Super Sexy - seconds the motion.