LENOVO Laptop

fang37

wrt security the win ones seem to be the best. with respect to best practise its the internet thats your biggest concern, that and physical access.

prevent any physical access, use the best practises for passwords, - or for lenevo use a two part access system

then just worry about your browser choice - anything except for ie as far as I can tell.

try her protect in conjunciton with the ms things

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Windows 10 was finally installed today.

MS Word was missing - EXCEL - OK. If EXCEL is the latest, it seems fairly similar to the 2007 version.

Tech did not have time to install "Rapid Mode" for the Samsung SSE Pro 850.

Windows Performance Index has been omitted.

Initial observation - the hype was well overstated. It very much feels like W 7.

Apps - have not reviewed them to date.

Pirated Windows - I was informed today, that the W 8 originally installed was pirated. I have come to the concluson, that 99% of software purchased in LOS is not legit.

BIG BONUS - no more popups suggesting that I download W 10.

How can you verify that "Rapid Mode" has been installed with your Samsung 850 Pro HDD?

Just open the Samsung Magician software and look....that's were you Rapid Mode on and off, if it can be turned on with Win 10 as discussed in earlier posts.

Where you earlier said your Tech didn't have time to "install Rapid Mode", I guess you meant he didn't install Magician. Within Magician, Rapid Mode is just an option to use or not, turn on or not, etc.

How can you verify that "Rapid Mode" has been installed with your Samsung 850 Pro HDD?

Just open the Samsung Magician software and look....that's were you Rapid Mode on and off, if it can be turned on with Win 10 as discussed in earlier posts.

Where you earlier said your Tech didn't have time to "install Rapid Mode", I guess you meant he didn't install Magician. Within Magician, Rapid Mode is just an option to use or not, turn on or not, etc.

+1

Samsung Magician is the optimization soft. for Samsung SSDs

Samsung Magician has been downloaded.

"Rapid Mode" CANNOT be enabled.

Apparently, the reason is that Rapid Mode can handle one HDD only.

My HDD has been partitioned - 164gb & 73gb.

I recollect that W 10 could not be installed until a HDD was partitioned?

As mentioned in several posts already regarding Magician and Win 10, Rapid Mode can not be turned on in Win 10 with all computers....it's a problem with Magician not being updated yet to fully work with Win 10. Samsung is aware of the problem...heard it with my own two ears when I called their Tech Support last week just to confirm a few posts in other blogs talking about the Win 10 issue. With the exception of the Rapid Mode not being able to be turned on in Win 10, all other Magician features work with Win 10.

It doesn't matter about the number of partitions on your drive....Rapid Mode will work only on "one" drive/SSD regardless of the number of partitions (ie., 1, 2, 10, etc) you have on the one drive.

As mentioned in several posts already regarding Magician and Win 10, Rapid Mode can not be turned on in Win 10 with all computers....it's a problem with Magician not being updated yet to fully work with Win 10. Samsung is aware of the problem...heard it with my own two ears when I called their Tech Support last week just to confirm a few posts in other blogs talking about the Win 10 issue. With the exception of the Rapid Mode not being able to be turned on in Win 10, all other Magician features work with Win 10.

It doesn't matter about the number of partitions on your drive....Rapid Mode will work only on "one" drive/SSD regardless of the number of partitions (ie., 1, 2, 10, etc) you have on the one drive.

Thank you, Pib, for more enlightenment.

New tech wishes to reinstall W 10. Then, we will see what happens with "Rapid Mode". Now or later re "Rapid Mode" is OK.

Got newest Word but EXCEL is a 2013 version.

Windows 10 was finally installed today.

MS Word was missing - EXCEL - OK. If EXCEL is the latest, it seems fairly similar to the 2007 version.

Tech did not have time to install "Rapid Mode" for the Samsung SSE Pro 850.

Windows Performance Index has been omitted.

Initial observation - the hype was well overstated. It very much feels like W 7.

Apps - have not reviewed them to date.

Pirated Windows - I was informed today, that the W 8 originally installed was pirated. I have come to the concluson, that 99% of software purchased in LOS is not legit.

BIG BONUS - no more popups suggesting that I download W 10.

Right so your "Tech" initially stole Windows 8, and has therefore now stolen a free upgrade to Windows 10. Fair enough, as you say 99% of people in LOS do it.

But now the problem is that whereas previously your "Tech" installed stolen versions of both Word and Excel on your behalf, this time he has only stolen Excel which, to make matters worse is underwhelming in advancement from the previous stolen 2007 version.

Does that sum it up?

I'm still wondering why the OP wouldn't know if Windows 8.1 wasn't originally bundled with the PC Laptop purchase.

Should have been marked on the 'box', or receipt.

There are programs that will 'read' BIOS/UEFI memory to see if the Windows License Key came with the laptop.

3 Ways to extract the Windows 8 Product key from the BIOS/UEFI.

IT Solutions Blog .net | by Pieter Willemse | August 26, 2014

Thank you for your investigative work.

Buying the LENOVO brand new from a large retailer, I assumed that all was OK. I was unaware of the stamping on the PC of Windows authenticity. In that case, is it reasonable to assume that all LENOVO PCs come bare? Some posters here refer to their LENOVO coming with Windows pre-installed.

I assumed that it was OK.

BTW, some TV posters are more computer savvy than others. I have never professed to be same.

You advice?

Do I immediately contact MS - plead ignorance - beg for mercy/clemency?

Would it be in the interests of all that we examine all our past transactions (not just PCs) in order to verify our purity? eg clothing, perfumery, sunglasses - everything.

There is nothing in Thailand that I trust re authenticity now. In the western world, clothing would be a prime example where authenticity is suspect.

Edited by fang37

Late thought.

Why don't retailers of PCs just get a stamping device manufactured?

One step better - manufacturers do it.

MS - "check"?

If MS make the right move in defence, just develop another strategy.

Thai ladies might have an authenticity stamp regarding their breasts & noses?

T-Shirts, clothing - Nike, Adidas

Where do we stop?

Edited by fang37

you can get versions with a non windows os.

its true your fears are justified. even people who work for ' brand name' coimnputer companies will happily install pirate software onyour machine. no names mentioned, but of the big ? computer producers at ? of them I know have operatives in the country that will taske your money for an os system legal and give you eillegal

Windows Experience Index

I score very well except -

3D business & game graphics performance. Score on this is 6.2.

I am not a gamer so I am not prepared to spend a lot of dosh.

How do I increase my score?

I just do not care anymore. The computer tech can install anything he chooses provided there is no viruses. I am too old; ethics does not matter in LOS. In the end, we are all dead.

You now have the right attitude to apply for Thai citizenship.

Edited by Pib

"W10 added benefits": http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

Better to wait a bit before considering the "upgrade"

whistling.gif

W10 is still @ its very early stage...
W7 works very well.
I'll wait, a bit (>6 months), to install W10

Edited by Fab5BKK

on the windows thing, since you have a real lenevo, you can check the serial number to see what it should have come shippied with. If it is not shipped with the correct software you should inform lenevo.

If the shop has installed a pirate OS you should inform lenevo.

I could not care less about the pirating, but the security is important.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Lenovo Z50 laptop.

I read where the Lenovo Thinkpad is one of the world's bestsellers.

What is the difference between these Lenovo models?

Many different models by every manufacturer to include Lenovo...different CPUs....different screens...different drives....different amounts of RAM...tons of possible differences....review the manufacturers' websites for specs/differences.

My first two laptops were IBM Thinkpads back in the days of yore. They were brilliant, the tank of laptops, really sturdily built and never any problems. On the strength of those, in Oct last year I bought a Thinkpad edge off the internet. From day one I was dissappointed, very flimsily built, would creak and groan if I even looked at it. It wasn't long before it started having problems, every time I turned it on it would go into startup repair which was eventually traced to a faulty memory stick, and then it devoloped a line down the left edge of the screen which has now developed into 5 lines all in a laptop less than a year old. I would never buy another Thinkpad and in fact am typing this on my 5yr old Inspiron which is a brilliant laptop and has never given me any problems.

Manufacturers go through cycles in how popular and reliable their computers are. Around eight years ago I bought a Toshiba laptop after much research...even bought a second one about 6 months later. In late 2013 when my 1st/primary Toshiba developed a hardware problem (the second one has never had a problem) I decided to buy a new laptop....initially thought I would buy another Toshiba but after doing research and physically playing with a variety of models I decided against another Toshiba...the research showed Toshiba reliability had went down significantly and I just couldn't find a Toshiba model here in Thailand that I liked. So more research and I end up going with a Lenovo laptop based on research (Lenovo was rated in the top tier for reliability....significantly higher than Toshiba), I liked the Lenovo support website, their website even included detailed maintenance/tear down maintenance manuals for each model, and I like what I saw from physically playing with some Lenovo models in stores. So, I bought a Lenovo Z510 laptop in Nov 13...have had no problems with it....will probably be buying a second computer soon and it will probably be a mid-level Lenovo laptop.

Edited by Pib