Entered country on new passport with visa in old passport not with me

I have a one year non O in my old passport, but I forgot to take the old passport with me that has my visa in it ( have done a few visa runs with both passports so have all correct stamps),

Last time I arrived without my visa, I got a 30 day exemption as they didn't see the physical visa in the old passport, Now that time is going to be up, and with the long holidays and a weekend, I don't want to go to immigration for my extension early next week when my 30 days are up.

I'm planning on going before the 30 days is up to either pay the 1900 baht and get a one month extension, or hopefully show them my correct visa and see if they will extend for two more months based on having a correct visa.

Does immigration give the 30 day extension early in all offices, or is it an office by office decision ( I'll be going to Patong in Phuket).

Has anyone been able to get the 60 additional days added on by immigration when visiting and showing your mistake?

You can apply for the thirty day extension to a visa exempt entry up to two weeks prior to the expiry date. Nothing is lost by doing this.

I doubt the Patong immigration office will be able to assist with the "error" . A visit to Phuket town may be needed.

You can apply for the 30 day extension a couple of weeks early without a problem. You only have tomorrow or the remainder of today to the extension this week. Immigration will be closed Thursday and Friday for the holidays.

Immigration will only correct an error made by the officer on entry to the country. They will not do a correction for an error you made.

• Like 1

Don't you need a Non O 90 day visa first to apply for a new Non O visa???? (NOT an extension....that one cancelled when they gave you a 30 day entry)

I could be wrong, but happy to learn!!

Can someone help me with my confusion. I though that Thai visas in old passports were no longer valid. My understanding was that any current entry stamp was transferred, with an annotation indicating the original visa type, but the old visa was then useless. Did I misunderstand, or is there a one year extension with re-entry permit in the new passport (in which case the old passport should be irrelevant?

OP,

Can i ask what you did when you had 2 passports at border? Im in a similar boat where my old passports had my Extension of Stay which is about running out, i will go to the border and go to Laos to get a new visa.

if they see the old passport with the EOS will they just put the exit stamp in the new passport which is brand new with nothing in it.

Don't you need a Non O 90 day visa first to apply for a new Non O visa???? (NOT an extension....that one cancelled when they gave you a 30 day entry)

I could be wrong, but happy to learn!!

He has a valid multiple entry non-o visa in his old passport that is still valid. If he had not forgotten his passport he would of gotten a 90 day entry from it. But he only got a 30 day entry because he forgot it.

Can someone help me with my confusion. I though that Thai visas in old passports were no longer valid. My understanding was that any current entry stamp was transferred, with an annotation indicating the original visa type, but the old visa was then useless. Did I misunderstand, or is there a one year extension with re-entry permit in the new passport (in which case the old passport should be irrelevant?

As I just wrote he had a multiple entry visa form an embassy or consulate that was still valid in his old passport. You are thinking about an extension of stay.

• Like 1

OP,

Can i ask what you did when you had 2 passports at border? Im in a similar boat where my old passports had my Extension of Stay which is about running out, i will go to the border and go to Laos to get a new visa.

if they see the old passport with the EOS will they just put the exit stamp in the new passport which is brand new with nothing in it.

Unless you have your stamps transferred to your new passport before leaving you will show both passports on departure from the country. They will just transfer your permit to stay stamp to the new passport and stamp you out of the country in it.

If you are here on an extension of stay, immigrations will transfer the extension stamp and make notation concerning the original visa, last visa entry and re-entry permit (if you have one) and then you are good to go using the new passport since you are legally here based on the extension and can exit/enter using the re-entry permit shown in the new passport.

If you are here on a permission to stay based on a visa entry and the visa is still not expired, they do not transfer the visa. You need to use the old and new passport when dealing with immigrations. They need to see the actual visa in the old passport, but will stamp your new passport with the permission to stay or any other current activity. A valid visa is not cancelled or transferred even if the passport has been cancelled.

Edited by Suradit69

I had a similar thing last Sunday. The Immigration officer said there was no Visa number and I just looked completly blank and said sorry. She stamped the new passport with the the permited to stay until the next renewal date and waved me on. I did have a re-entry permit but the Immigration form was blank in the space for the visa number, so I suppose I was lucky?

However, one question, am I correct in thinking the 90 day clock runs from the date of entry? I've seen this somewhere but can't find it. If anyone can assist I would be most grateful.

I had a similar thing last Sunday. The Immigration officer said there was no Visa number and I just looked completly blank and said sorry. She stamped the new passport with the the permited to stay until the next renewal date and waved me on. I did have a re-entry permit but the Immigration form was blank in the space for the visa number, so I suppose I was lucky?

However, one question, am I correct in thinking the 90 day clock runs from the date of entry? I've seen this somewhere but can't find it. If anyone can assist I would be most grateful.

You should of put your re-entry permit number on the arrival card in the space for a visa number.

The count for your 90 day report starts on the date you enter the country including that day in the count.

You should of put your re-entry permit number on the arrival card in the space for a visa number.

The count for your 90 day report starts on the date you enter the country including that day in the count.

Thanks for the info ubonjoe, I will make a note and remember to do this if I should need to in future.

Ubonjoe, advice is needed!

Unlike other arrival points in LOS, Phuket decided to give several people the third degree on arriving on an international flight. In most cases, they were querying why the passport holders were wanting to come to Thailand so often, despite the fact that no-one had got any overstays or had any problems previously. I thought that the 'many Visa exempt stamps' within 6 months idea had NOT been implemented, only talked about? Why this sudden change of attitude and why only at Phuket? No-one was working or wanting to work in Thailand, and some were well beyond retirement age!

Ubonjoe, advice is needed!

Unlike other arrival points in LOS, Phuket decided to give several people the third degree on arriving on an international flight. In most cases, they were querying why the passport holders were wanting to come to Thailand so often, despite the fact that no-one had got any overstays or had any problems previously. I thought that the 'many Visa exempt stamps' within 6 months idea had NOT been implemented, only talked about? Why this sudden change of attitude and why only at Phuket? No-one was working or wanting to work in Thailand, and some were well beyond retirement age!

That has been discussed in several topics.

The is no rule that limits the number of visa exempt entries or the number of days on them over any amount of time.

Immigration now has an alert in their system when 6 entries are reached. The officer should then look at the entries to see if they fall into the category of a in/out visa runs and question a person about what they are doing.

Immigration can only deny entry under section 12 of the immigration act. The most common denial is lack of financial proof. Having the equivalent of 20k baht cash will overcome that if it goes that far.